Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

7 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2010 - 10:14PM #1
jane2

I luv the Fourth of  July : so many memories of past Fourths. I still remember ringing our bell at the appointed hour in 1976.

I remember small town parades, days in Washington,  putting small American flags in brunch fruit bowls, big league ball games with fan-fare, fireworks.

What do you love about the Fourth?

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2010 - 11:02AM #2
gilg

Jun 30, 2010 -- 10:14PM, jane2 wrote:

I luv the Fourth of  July : so many memories of past Fourths. I still remember ringing our bell at the appointed hour in 1976.

I remember small town parades, days in Washington,  putting small American flags in brunch fruit bowls, big league ball games with fan-fare, fireworks.

I guess I am a little kid, I love the fireworks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2010 - 10:38PM #3
jane2

Jul 1, 2010 -- 11:02AM, gilg wrote:

Jun 30, 2010 -- 10:14PM, jane2 wrote:

I guess I am a little kid, I love the fireworks.

I love the fireworks, too. I'll probably watch the Boston Pops and the firework display on tv but also the aerials from our downtown small celebration--too old for the traffic jams.

I remerber the year (1972) that my children and I and our maid went to the fireworks at our American embassy in Bangkok : it was special so far from home. (Maids traded credentials over where they had been. Ours especially loved our weeks at Thai beaches.)

Happy Fourth, y'all.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 12:56PM #4
gilg

Jane,

I don't remember my 4th of July when I was in that part of the world but if there were fireworks, I probably didn't enjoy it.

I did enjoy yesterday's fireworks, the afternoon was fun too. The city sponsered a day of food tasting and Blues music. The profits went to charitable organizations so that gave me an excuse to pig-out and eat food I normally don't. I think this is one of the few times my wife and I enjoyed the national holiday by ourselves, it was fun.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2010 - 2:39PM #5
jane2

Jul 4, 2010 -- 12:56PM, gilg wrote:

Jane,

I don't remember my 4th of July when I was in that part of the world but if there were fireworks, I probably didn't enjoy it.

I did enjoy yesterday's fireworks, the afternoon was fun too. The city sponsered a day of food tasting and Blues music. The profits went to charitable organizations so that gave me an excuse to pig-out and eat food I normally don't. I think this is one of the few times my wife and I enjoyed the national holiday by ourselves, it was fun.

Glad to hear about your day with your wife for 4th fun.

Thank you for your service in VietNam. James Carroll in PRINCE OF PEACE (out-of-print) excoriates Spellman for his advocacy of that war.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook