Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
8 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2010 - 6:58AM #11
Mysty101
Posts: 2,025

Hi,


It makes perfect sense to me that the Catholic Church gets to say what is considered Catholic teaching or Theology.


If someone speaks or writes something that is contrary to Catholic teaching, and refuses to take correction, then they are no longer considered an authentic Catholic Theologian. 


SuZ


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2010 - 7:24AM #12
Tmarie64
Posts: 5,277

I agree with this.  No matter what I agree with as far as Catholic doctrines go, I do NOT think that someone who openly contradicts and criticizes those doctrines should be allowed to call himself ANY sort of representative.


Jul 6, 2010 -- 6:58AM, Mysty101 wrote:


Hi,


It makes perfect sense to me that the Catholic Church gets to say what is considered Catholic teaching or Theology.


If someone speaks or writes something that is contrary to Catholic teaching, and refuses to take correction, then they are no longer considered an authentic Catholic Theologian. 


SuZ


 





James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2010 - 9:24AM #13
hewy1952
Posts: 2,455

Jul 5, 2010 -- 11:05PM, Ashe wrote:


Jul 5, 2010 -- 10:28PM, WaveringCC wrote:


If you think the practice of silencing is OK, then that is what you think. It is an odd way to search for truth. Censorship and truth seldom go hand in hand.  There is a saying that Truth will out.  The church should not fear the ideas of those who seek the Truth, but should encourage them rather than silence them.


 You seem to think that I made up the term "silence."  And you may not like it, but, it describes quite well what Rome does to those whose ideas they don't like at any given moment of history.  Perhaps you are not familiar with the term - it is commonly used term that describes situations when Rome orders a theologian to stop speaking, publishing, or teaching. Rome has done it a lot throughout history.   You may wish to do a little research in the area, in order to educate yourself to this practice.  One very recent example is that of Father Roger Haight, who has been forbidden to give speeches, to teach (even in secular universities), or to publish.


www.commonwealmagazine.org/blog/?p=2644





You never answered, are you Catholic?


I think you misunderstood my post because what you said isn't what I meant at all.  I don't like the word silenced because it's misused the Church cannot silence anyone they can speak if they want, we're not in the dark ages anymore, they may face reprimands as a Catholic and that's to be expected because it's the Churches duty to protect the truth, they've been doing it since it's inception, how do you think the books used in the bible (for example) are what they are?  God put them together and threw them in a firy blast onto the earth? No, he used his church and the inspired text was decided on in Church councils.  The Church cannot accept whatever Joe Schmo comes along and claims as the truth, if they did than we would all be using the butchered version of the bible from the prot. reformation, more than that we would all be universalists.





I don't come over here much; probably won't.  What's with the "are you catholic?" 


 


I thought the rules of conduct said this:


compromises anyone's privacy by using or revealing personal information;


 


uses Beliefnet community functions to harass or censure any person, group, or entity;\


 


Beliefnet members represent a wide variety of religious and spiritual orientations - all welcome to participate in conversations on our Forums. When you participate in Beliefnet discussions, you may encounter persons whose beliefs differ from your own. We hope that you will approach these encounters in a spirit of tolerance, accepting the rights of others to follow freely their own religious beliefs, even if they seem false to you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2010 - 1:44PM #14
Ashe
Posts: 311

Jul 8, 2010 -- 9:24AM, hewy1952 wrote:


Jul 5, 2010 -- 11:05PM, Ashe wrote:


Jul 5, 2010 -- 10:28PM, WaveringCC wrote:


If you think the practice of silencing is OK, then that is what you think. It is an odd way to search for truth. Censorship and truth seldom go hand in hand.  There is a saying that Truth will out.  The church should not fear the ideas of those who seek the Truth, but should encourage them rather than silence them.


 You seem to think that I made up the term "silence."  And you may not like it, but, it describes quite well what Rome does to those whose ideas they don't like at any given moment of history.  Perhaps you are not familiar with the term - it is commonly used term that describes situations when Rome orders a theologian to stop speaking, publishing, or teaching. Rome has done it a lot throughout history.   You may wish to do a little research in the area, in order to educate yourself to this practice.  One very recent example is that of Father Roger Haight, who has been forbidden to give speeches, to teach (even in secular universities), or to publish.


www.commonwealmagazine.org/blog/?p=2644





You never answered, are you Catholic?


I think you misunderstood my post because what you said isn't what I meant at all.  I don't like the word silenced because it's misused the Church cannot silence anyone they can speak if they want, we're not in the dark ages anymore, they may face reprimands as a Catholic and that's to be expected because it's the Churches duty to protect the truth, they've been doing it since it's inception, how do you think the books used in the bible (for example) are what they are?  God put them together and threw them in a firy blast onto the earth? No, he used his church and the inspired text was decided on in Church councils.  The Church cannot accept whatever Joe Schmo comes along and claims as the truth, if they did than we would all be using the butchered version of the bible from the prot. reformation, more than that we would all be universalists.





I don't come over here much; probably won't.  What's with the "are you catholic?" 


 


I thought the rules of conduct said this:


compromises anyone's privacy by using or revealing personal information;


 


uses Beliefnet community functions to harass or censure any person, group, or entity;\


 


Beliefnet members represent a wide variety of religious and spiritual orientations - all welcome to participate in conversations on our Forums. When you participate in Beliefnet discussions, you may encounter persons whose beliefs differ from your own. We hope that you will approach these encounters in a spirit of tolerance, accepting the rights of others to follow freely their own religious beliefs, even if they seem false to you.





What's wrong with being curious about someones religion?  I mean it is beliefnet afterall and I think it's a fair question to ask in order to know where someones coming from especially when they are expressing their opinion about a certain faith. 


I didn't get an answer but all Wavering had to do was say that he/she didn't feel comfortable giving one or just didn't want to share it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 10:02AM #15
hewy1952
Posts: 2,455

Jul 9, 2010 -- 1:44PM, Ashe wrote:


Jul 8, 2010 -- 9:24AM, hewy1952 wrote:


Jul 5, 2010 -- 11:05PM, Ashe wrote:


Jul 5, 2010 -- 10:28PM, WaveringCC wrote:


If you think the practice of silencing is OK, then that is what you think. It is an odd way to search for truth. Censorship and truth seldom go hand in hand.  There is a saying that Truth will out.  The church should not fear the ideas of those who seek the Truth, but should encourage them rather than silence them.


 You seem to think that I made up the term "silence."  And you may not like it, but, it describes quite well what Rome does to those whose ideas they don't like at any given moment of history.  Perhaps you are not familiar with the term - it is commonly used term that describes situations when Rome orders a theologian to stop speaking, publishing, or teaching. Rome has done it a lot throughout history.   You may wish to do a little research in the area, in order to educate yourself to this practice.  One very recent example is that of Father Roger Haight, who has been forbidden to give speeches, to teach (even in secular universities), or to publish.


www.commonwealmagazine.org/blog/?p=2644





You never answered, are you Catholic?


I think you misunderstood my post because what you said isn't what I meant at all.  I don't like the word silenced because it's misused the Church cannot silence anyone they can speak if they want, we're not in the dark ages anymore, they may face reprimands as a Catholic and that's to be expected because it's the Churches duty to protect the truth, they've been doing it since it's inception, how do you think the books used in the bible (for example) are what they are?  God put them together and threw them in a firy blast onto the earth? No, he used his church and the inspired text was decided on in Church councils.  The Church cannot accept whatever Joe Schmo comes along and claims as the truth, if they did than we would all be using the butchered version of the bible from the prot. reformation, more than that we would all be universalists.





I don't come over here much; probably won't.  What's with the "are you catholic?" 


 


I thought the rules of conduct said this:


compromises anyone's privacy by using or revealing personal information;


 


uses Beliefnet community functions to harass or censure any person, group, or entity;\


 


Beliefnet members represent a wide variety of religious and spiritual orientations - all welcome to participate in conversations on our Forums. When you participate in Beliefnet discussions, you may encounter persons whose beliefs differ from your own. We hope that you will approach these encounters in a spirit of tolerance, accepting the rights of others to follow freely their own religious beliefs, even if they seem false to you.





What's wrong with being curious about someones religion?  I mean it is beliefnet afterall and I think it's a fair question to ask in order to know where someones coming from especially when they are expressing their opinion about a certain faith. 


I didn't get an answer but all Wavering had to do was say that he/she didn't feel comfortable giving one or just didn't want to share it.





The ROC prohibits this:


compromises anyone's privacy by using or revealing personal information;



What's so difficult to understand:  "privacy", "revealing personal information"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 11:48AM #16
Mysty101
Posts: 2,025

Hi Hewy,


Welcome to this side of the fence Wink


Faith is one of the fill ins in the profile section, so obviously it is a legitimate question.


Also the guidelines for this board are for Catholics and respectful guests to discuss Catholic teachings and traditions.


Hope this helps.


SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 12:40PM #17
Ashe
Posts: 311

Jul 10, 2010 -- 10:02AM, hewy1952 wrote:



The ROC prohibits this:


compromises anyone's privacy by using or revealing personal information;



What's so difficult to understand:  "privacy", "revealing personal information"?





They're talking about private information as in phone number, address, passwords social security numbers...that sort of thing.


My question was legit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook