Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Some Thoughts: "Is Patriotism Christian?"
7 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2010 - 12:27AM #1
mitchel1

Since we are presently between Flag Day and Independance Day I thought an article asking, "Is Patriotism Christian?" would be appropriate. It is found on the Disciples Peace Fellowship blog, here: dpfweb.org/dpf-blog/ What do you think?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 10:45AM #2
mecdukebec
Thanks, Mitchell.  Anyone who invokes Brother Craddock in his piece, is always on good grounds.  Beyond that, your piece reminds of St-Augustine's statements about having "another home" and that is where our loyalty lies.

I don't believe that national flags have any business in Christian sanctuaries; a fact as far as I know that is widely observed in church of Christ congos, as part of the Stone-Campbell movement; although, online I have read some pretty strong jingoistic, war-oriented preachers of that same fellowship praising war against "the Mooslims." 

God won't be asking us in the hereafter whether we saluted the flag, but whether we cared for Christ in prison, naked, and unclothed (St-Matthew chapter 25).

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 3:16PM #3
mecdukebec
"Church service goes patriotic

With a theme of “The American Spirit,” Patriotic Sunday — a church service filled with stirring music, tributes to military veterans of all wars and conflicts, and honoring the American Flag — will be held 9:30 a.m. Sunday at the ****** Church, 134 E. *****.

“You might want to get here early, because the church is going to be packed,” said ******, who continues to manage the local Independence Day event she brought to  **** County in 2002."

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 6:00PM #4
mitchel1

Same around here. The biggest Baptist Church took out a quarter page ad for their "Faith, Freedom & Fireworks Patriotic Celebration." And the message from the minister: "Who Stole Our Nation?" I'm guessing if we listen real close we might hear Roger Williams from his grave asking, "Who stole our church?" But it is not just the Baptists who have given up their soul to the nation. The church in America needs to get America out of the church so it can bear a genuine Christ-centered witness to America and the rest of the world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 10:45PM #5
mecdukebec

Mitchel, we spent the day at a Civil War "concentration camp" in the South.  Personally, I was quite touched( (as we walked around the ground) to come upon the story of a Southern Roman Catholic priest who went to great risk (of infection) to distribute 10 000 loaves of bread to starving Union soldiers in the camp, at his and others' expense.  Whilst one can find no record of Christians supporting militarism during the first 300 years of Christianity, there is good reason to believe that "Christ" would be found amongst the minsters/hands of his servants doing precisely this kind of ministry. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2010 - 12:37AM #6
mitchel1

I totally agree with you. Interestingly, the young Kirby Page's ministry to soldiers during WWI was a big factor that led him into his peace work. It doesn't have to be either/or.

My gripe with the church in America is that it thinks it is supposed to be American and promote things American. In other words, the church denies its true nature so it can celebrate a local loyalty. What is nationalism in churches but another more deadly form of sectarianism? And people call the Mennonites sectarian! I prefer their version.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2010 - 1:38AM #7
mitchel1

By the way, which Southern "concentration camp" was it? My Great Great Grandfather George W. Todd fought for the Union and was a prisoner of war in Andersonville Ga. which some consider the worst prison in U.S. history. The story passed down from generation to generation was that after the war, when he came shuffling down the road toward home, he looked like a skeleton. Another of my Great Great Grandfathers, William Reuben Logan was a captain for the Confederacy. He lost his leg in the war. He was traumatized from the whole experience and mentally never recovered. He died alone in a sanitarium.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2010 - 7:27PM #8
mecdukebec

Jul 5, 2010 -- 1:38AM, mitchel1 wrote:

By the way, which Southern "concentration camp" was it? My Great Great Grandfather George W. Todd fought for the Union and was a prisoner of war in Andersonville Ga. which some consider the worst prison in U.S. history. The story passed down from generation to generation was that after the war, when he came shuffling down the road toward home, he looked like a skeleton. Another of my Great Great Grandfathers, William Reuben Logan was a captain for the Confederacy. He lost his leg in the war. He was traumatized from the whole experience and mentally never recovered. He died alone in a sanitarium.

Yes, it was Andersonville prison.  I could not help from wanderng whether the railroad we crossed over (bridge) on the way in, was the same that delivered the Union prisoners to the hell-hole.  It was quite a historical experience.  Pax/Paix.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook