Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View what if they gave a schism and nobody came...
8 years ago  ::  May 23, 2010 - 2:30AM #1
Tombrisson
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 29, 2010 - 3:14AM #2
Roodog

Tom,

Good Articles!

Do you think that TEC is cutting itself fom its apostolic moorings? In my book, no pun intended, the repository of apostolic and prophetic authority is none other than the Scriptures. But then again, I am merely a Protestant. 

I am grateful that my mom did not live to see all this come down.

I'll write you on your private thread.

BTW welcome back, you've been missed.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 10:08PM #3
Tombrisson

I think TEC is going through what a lot of (once) mainline churches are experiencing.

They are having a huge debate over identity and mission. They are trying to do things that are pulling them in different directions -- the leadership wants to be inclusive, apparently at the expense of some of their core traditions.

My guess is they'll survive all this, but will continue to be less recognizable as an Anglican church. Just my opinion, of course.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 1:15PM #4
DragoonEnNoir

I think that's the problem. In chasing after inclusiveness, the TEC is seeking to 'please men' vs pleasing God.

Instead of asking, "What if they gave a schism and nobody came", perhaps we should be asking, "What if God spoke, and we decided not to listen."

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2011 - 1:13AM #5
Tombrisson

Most Christians believe the Bible answers all the questions that matter. I trust the Bible; what I don't trust is our ability to properly understand it.

I agree with N.T. Wright's plea to "let the Bible be the Bible," by which he means not trying to make it say what it doesn't -- or to ignore what it clearly IS saying.

The words of Jesus are explained away all the time by folks who don't like their implications for their political assumptions and by those who are scandalized by their apparent "narrowness."

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook