Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Catholic Lawyers state US Bishops do not work for the Church?
8 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 1:06PM #1
Diana

A new article from CNN quotes the lawyer for the Catholic Church," "We will respectfully submit that this is a fallacious theory," Lena said. "The Holy See, or the Pope, does not 'employ' bishops in the United States."

The church argues that bishops act with local autonomy in their respective dioceses."

www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/17/vatican.abu...

Lena is Jeffery Lena, the Vatican's US based attorney.

I am personally confused by this sudden move by the Catholic Church, but I suspect the Bishops which are no longer employeed by the Vatican, and they are able to practice full autonomy within their own dioceses would be more surprised. I would think they would be shocked to know that the Pope is no longer their spiritual leader.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 1:15PM #2
appy20

I heard this early this morning and it baffled me but I am not Catholic.  Does that mean a local diocese could have a female priest if theywanted to?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 1:18PM #3
Christianlib
For tax reasons, most clergy in the US are technically "independent contractors."  This allows the IRS deduction for "clergy housing allowance", and also the clergy and congregational exemption from Social Security and Medicare taxes.

However, the lawyers will have a hard time proving, I think, that Bishops are not under the "direction and control" of the church hierarchy.
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 1:34PM #4
teilhard

Paychecks for The Bishop are issued by The Diocese -- NOT by "Rome" ...

May 17, 2010 -- 1:06PM, Diana wrote:

A new article from CNN quotes the lawyer for the Catholic Church," "We will respectfully submit that this is a fallacious theory," Lena said. "The Holy See, or the Pope, does not 'employ' bishops in the United States."

The church argues that bishops act with local autonomy in their respective dioceses."

www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/17/vatican.abu...

Lena is Jeffery Lena, the Vatican's US based attorney.

I am personally confused by this sudden move by the Catholic Church, but I suspect the Bishops which are no longer employeed by the Vatican, and they are able to practice full autonomy within their own dioceses would be more surprised. I would think they would be shocked to know that the Pope is no longer their spiritual leader.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 4:28PM #5
jane2

This is going to be one sticky wicket or a series of them.Church codes, civil codes and fiduciary thinking will come to bear. This is as much of a probe as it is a suit. Simplicity will not apply.

teilhard

And who or what is a diocese? The dioceses collect a tax on the offertory collections of Catholic parishes but those who put the money in the basket have little say in how the money is used or in how the diocese is administered. Our archbishop sent a considerable sum to Maine do defeat a plebiscite there: we learned from a national poll published by National Catholic Reporter.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 4:42PM #6
rangerken

This is an obvious attempt by the Catholic Church as a whole to limit its liability. I sincerely hope it will fail.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 18, 2010 - 10:32AM #7
Peacefirst

I agree that this is confusing, but I don't think it will stand up. I am not Catholic, but my husband is, and he just shakes his head at the whole thing. He won't even attend mass any more.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 18, 2010 - 11:39AM #8
Marysara722

They are so desparate to get off the hook [of blame] that they'll try any shit-maneuver by throwing it out there and hoping it will stick.

They are deplorable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 25, 2010 - 5:13AM #9
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

While a relaxed site-wide ROC standard applied to the discussion on that forum, the tighter forum-wide ROC standard and all local guidelines for this forum — including the fact that this is not a debate forum — apply to discussion from this point forward.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 11:33AM #10
gilg

Merope,

You are the lawyer, so tell us, do you think the argument will be upheld by the courts?

I don't know how the courts will rule but it seems common sense to see bishops reporting to the pope, they get promoted and appointed by the pope or at least approved by him, and the Pope can excommunicate them or bring them back to the fold as Pope Ratzinger did with the four bishops that were excommunicated but are now back in. In short, the Vatican can't claim that they don't have a direct and indirect influence on how bishops go about their work and what morals they must follow in order to remain bishops in good standing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook