4 years ago  ::  May 13, 2010 - 12:00PM #1
Jupiter6208

I was just thinking about this so i thought i would ask

Considering the changes the ELCA has done of late  (good changes in my opinion) would you call them an Emerging Church or not ,Do you think they have turned into one?

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 13, 2010 - 10:43PM #2
WannabeTheo

Your question sent me on an on-line search to find out more about the 'emerging church'.  The general impression I get is that it is Evangelical churches finding mainline liberalism and post-modernism.  And I use 'Evangelical' not in the general sense but in the specifically American sense of conservative free churches that identify as Evangelical.

Given that the ELCA is already a liberal mainline protestant church, and one not generally identified as Evangelical, despite the 'E' in our name, I don't think we qualify as part of the emerging church movement.  There may be some points of commonality though, since post-modernism does seem to be making inroads in the ELCA, but I don't think it has anything to do with the recent assembly decisions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 1:03AM #3
R._c._lee

The Emergent Church appears to be a liberal movement that has sparks in the Episcopal, Presbyterian, UCC churches, among others.

There are also folks in the Southern Baptist Convention who are trying to figure out what to do in a "post Evangelical" (whatever that means) world.

ELCA Lutherans may not have trouble with emergent church liberalism but might be bothered by its emphasis on works. 

"The Great Emergence: How Christianity Is Changing and Why" by Phyllis Tickle is a very good introduction.

But the theology in her book seems somewhat confused. One minute it is off the charts in its radical view of established Christian doctrine, and in the next it is obsessed with ritual to the point that a Catholic might cry uncle.

One local standard brand church is advertising that it is welcoming folks who believe in the emergent church and/or the end of the world in 2012.

Be sure to check the battery on your Mayan calendar watch.

Might be a little trendy for Lutherans.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 6:26PM #4
tawonda

I don't think that "Emergent" is necessarily either theologically nor politically liberal. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine dismissed them as "fundamentalists with incense and sofas"; and there's a certain breed of goateed, cabana-shirt-clad, tattooed Southern-Baptisty folks who've tried to ride the Emergent bandwagon stylewise even though their theology is right out of Jerry Falwell's "Old Time Gospel Hour."  If you're a woman in the Emergent movement who is not in a mainline denomination, good luck being taken seriously in a church leadership role -- or even being admitted into that boys' club at all; what I've heard and seen, anyway, from quick readings through Emergent blogs and such.

I also don't think there's any great Emergent wave in The Episcopal Church.  If anything TEC and other liturgical traditions are where the non-denom/"free" Emergent types go mining for ritual and spiritual practice.

RC Lee, perhaps you're not as acquainted with the Emergent movement as you think you are?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 8:56PM #5
WannabeTheo

May 14, 2010 -- 1:03AM, R._c._lee wrote:

One local standard brand church is advertising that it is welcoming folks who believe in the emergent church and/or the end of the world in 2012.

So does the 'standard brand' church accept those views, or was the point that they are hoping to turn people away from such beliefs/practices?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 12:57AM #6
R._c._lee

Tawonda,

All I know is what I read in the papers: "The Great Emergence" by Phyllis Tickle, and reading Brian D. McLaren on Huffington Post's new Religion section for Lefties. (Not that I don't like Lefties because I do.)

I do not get what some of the Southern Baptists are up to.

And I have an uneasy feeling that both emergent and post-evangelical mean whatever you want them to mean.

I said emergent seemed trendy. I didn't say it was a good thing.

From what you are saying I'm getting that it is not a good thing.

Theo, 

This is a church that is trying to attract new members in the worst way i.e. doesn't seem to matter what you believe. Joining some churches is like joining the National Geographic Society. Show me the money.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 8:03AM #7
tawonda

Well, from my perspective I guess I wonder why the Emergent non-denoms don't just join a liturgical mainline church instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. And the fundamentalist Emergent wannabes are just doing what they always do -- trying to catch some trendy pop-culture wave in their desperate attempts to convert people By Any Means Necesary.

I know that Emergent folks would respond that I'm not "getting" them -- that they're about ministering to normally unchurched/marginally unchurched people in niche ways that speak to them. But I wonder how much of that actually happens.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 9:06AM #8
WannabeTheo

May 16, 2010 -- 8:03AM, tawonda wrote:

Well, from my perspective I guess I wonder why the Emergent non-denoms don't just join a liturgical mainline church instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Bingo!  In my very brief online research, that was the exact same question I kept asking.

Could it be that within non-denom, unaffiliated circles there is an (erroneous) assumption that there is no freedom of belief in denominational churches, what with our confessions and catechisms and creeds and all?  May be true of some of the more conservative branches, but not all mainline churches (ELCA, TEC, PCUSA, UCC).

I hope it's not just about the sofas!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2010 - 11:13AM #9
R._c._lee

Wikipedia has this definition of the emerging church movement, which seems laughable in its attempt to be all things to all people:

The emerging church (sometimes referred to as the emergent movement) is a Christian movement of the late 20th and early 21st century that crosses a number of theological boundaries: participants can be described as evangelical, post-evangelical, anabaptist, liberal, post-liberal, reformed, charismatic, neocharismatic, post-charismatic, conservative, and post-conservative.

A post-liberal, a post-conservative, and a post-evangelical walk into a coffee shop and discuss ... post-religion, post-modernism and post-politics over Post Toasties?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook