Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

8 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2010 - 10:17AM #1
thelma

Should Christains today pay tithes to their church?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2010 - 9:48AM #2
Nanalulu222

Apr 24, 2010 -- 10:17AM, thelma wrote:

Should Christains today pay tithes to their church?

I believe, each Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to how much he or she should give (James 1:5).  A Christian should give what he believes God would have him give.

2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV) Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Conservative Christian.  Remember: you're unique, just like everyone else.
JW community host.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2010 - 12:10PM #3
Godsvesselx2

Also remember that there wasn't any tithing laws before Moses and it was only for the Isrealites after they left Egypt. It was an Old teastament law that we are no longer bound by. Jesus took care of the law on the cross. That's why we are now under what is called the New Covenant. This is why we no longer make animal or grain sacrifices. It's why our tithes and offerings are not burned on a special alter. If you read Duet. 14 the second half you'll find out what the tithes and offerings were to be and what was to be done with them. You'll also find that no money was ever given. It will also tell you what you were to do with money. It also tells you that you recieved your blessings only after you took care of the widows, orphans, and strangers. Not when you gave to the Priest. The tithes and offerings were brought to the Temple because that's the only place that God would come to accept these said tithes and offerings. The Isrealites were given specific details and instructions as to how the Temple was to be designed and built. Read Leviticus, It will tell you what the different offerings were and the details on how they were to be treated and burned.

Now after Jesus' sacrifice what happened to that Temple? It was torn down, right? Where was it rebuilt? Do we have to go to some building to find God? The Temple is in our hearts now. So if we are to take our tithes and offerings to the Temple, where do we take them? The whole Law was given to show the Isrealites that they needed a savoir. It was to humble them and teach them reverence toward Him. Jesus is not concerned now with the following of laws. He is concerned with matters of the heart. Thats why he wants us to give out of the heart and not some law. If someone wants to give to someone, some preacher, a church then so beit. As long as it's a heart issue. It's amazing the false since of satisfaction that some people feel when they give a ten percent money donation to a church. They feel that they have some how impressed God. God is not impressed. He didn't create money, man did. Now if the condition of ones heart was simply Lord I just want to help these people. I would like to be a blessing to them, that would be a true since of satisfaction. Maybe then God will be pleased.

I was stopped at a street corner once, and a homeless person was standing there. The Lord told me what ever you give to him I will return to you ten times. I opened my wallet and there was a 1 and a 100 dollar bill. I chose the 1. Ten minutes later I found a 10 dollar bill on the walkway. Man did I miss it. He showed me the condition of my heart. It broke me. We are to give out of the abundance of our hearts not to satisfy a ten percent Old Covenant law.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 8:14PM #4
Revshaun

We are not bound by the covenants of the Old testament, that much is true. The whole Bible is good for teaching, though. In this instance we see that the people helped to support the priests and a tenth of that was given to God. Your tithes support the church. They pay the rent, the lights, and the salaries of the church administration and pastor. A tenth of a tenth of what you tithe should go to missions, homelessness, to help church members, and other social matters. Small churches are struggling due to the amount of money the mega churches spend on their entertainment and the level of production of their services. If your going to tithe, look for good stewards of God's mammon. Small churches that are involved with and helping the community. Mega churches are just like overcrowded classrooms where the children get little individual attention unless they aggressively pursue it. Small churches are filled with love and is the preferable method of teaching and sharing God's word. Any family shares whatever profits gained with the household. God did not demand for Abraham to tithe to Melchizedek, but in his devotion to God he understood the principle, as we should today. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2010 - 11:22AM #5
Godsvesselx2

Don't get me wrong. I believe in helping out. However we should not preach a ten percent rule. In the New testament we are told not to give according to some law. We are to give freely. We should freely give, not based off a ten percent rule but out of a love that wants to help. Have you ever given less than 10 percent. If so how did it make you feel. For me when I was under that yoke I would find myself apologizing to God or even trying to bargain with him. Sometimes I didn't have a tithe at all and found myself wondering what others thought of me. These feelings are not from God. They are brought upon us by false teachings.

If I go to a resturant I fully expect to pay for my food. When I get fed spiritually I want to help out those that fed me. One big difference is that God tells us not to peddle His word for money. His word is free. A person who really wants to spread God's word will do so whether he gets paid for it or not. Follow Paul's example, he worked his fingers to the bone both day and night so that he would not be a burden on who he was preaching to. he didn't want money getting in the way. Today money is in the way: rent, electricity, water, saleries. God is not in a building, he is in our hearts. God can be shared anywhere.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook