Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Essential Points of CoC?
8 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2010 - 4:53PM #1
William916

What are the essential points of the CoC?  I understand it to be a primarily liberal Christian Church with a history of involvment in social justice and one of the most inclusive.  Is that correct and if so what else makes this Church different from the others?

Thank all who respond!Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2010 - 10:23PM #2
newway87

I happened to stumble across your question, so I'll take a stab at giving you a brief answer. (There are many that pop in here who could give you a more comprehensive answer, to be sure.) 

I think you may have confused the United Church of Christ and the independent Church of Christ.  The UCC seems to fit more with your description of what you understand that denomination to be.  They are quite liberal on most subjects. 

The independent Churches of Christ tend to be theologically and socially conservative.  I grew up on the saying "No book but the Bible, no creed but Christ."  Salvation is generally accepted as coming by first hearing the Word, believing, repenting from sin, confessing faith and then baptism by immersion.  There are subtle and not-so-subtle divisions, of course, and congregations that tend more toward legalism and others that are less so.

My final caveat is that this is a very simplified description!  I grew up CoC, and currently attend a UCC/Presbyterian church.  I have some experience with both, but don't consider myself an expert on either!  Hope this helps, and God bless!

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2010 - 12:55PM #3
William916

Thank you for your patience and my apologies for the confusion; I had the two confused!  But you answered my question!Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 3:29PM #4
Campbellite

The churches of Christ parted ways with the Disciples of Christ about 1895 - 1905. (Who left whom is still subject to discussion and debate.)  The Disciples of Christ are the more liberal of the three bodies that emerged from the Campbell/Stone movement of the early 1800s. The Disciples are in a partnership with the United Church of Christ, sharing a common order of ministry, and having a common Board of Global Missions.  One of the groups who helped form the UCC were the old O'Kelly Christians, formerly related to the Stone Christians. So we have some common history all around.

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2010 - 11:52AM #5
Clydson

That's somewhat misleading for the church of Christ did not emerge from the "Stone/Campbell" movement.  It was in existence long before either of them were born.

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 10:19PM #6
Pam34

Jun 22, 2010 -- 11:52AM, Clydson wrote:

That's somewhat misleading for the church of Christ did not emerge from the "Stone/Campbell" movement.  It was in existence long before either of them were born.

Jake

Nonsense - or at least, understand that that statement is a theological/faith position, without basis in historical reality.

Unless you understand 'church of Christ' as the Roman Catholic church does, and interpret it to be synonymous with the Catholic church - in the west and the east (Orthodox).

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 11:30AM #7
Clydson

"Nonsense" by RC standards is actually a compliment, as well as a recognition of truth.  And, on the otherhand, it is an admission of ignorance of church history, even its own. 

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 9:19PM #8
Pam34

hmm -

no, dear. I am not RC and never have been. However, I was - once, many years ago, a three-times-a-week, never forsakingtheassemblyofyourselvestogether, member of a coc.

For over twenty years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2010 - 12:39PM #9
Clydson

It isn't necessary to be a RCC member to use her standards.  Opposing RC standards is not the same as saying one is a RCC member.  Using that reasoning as a point of contention is known as using a strawman argument or more commonly known as trying to put words in another's mouth.

I never said you were Roman Catholic.  Not even so much as a hint... 

If you have a rational point to discuss, let's hear it.

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 1:31AM #10
Pam34

Jake - you gave a faith statement to a questioner as if it were factually correct. It is not factually correct to state that the Church of Christ pre-existed the Restoration movement in the U.S.

It may be possible that you yourself believe this to be true, however, it is not a position that can logically be supported by evidence. Therefore, your statement is a faith/belief position entirely without factual merit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook