Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Essential Points of CoC?
7 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 12:12PM #11
Clydson

Actually, the church of Christ pre-existing 1906 has already been proven by historians and other researchers.  It is a fact, and very truthful, and easily learned.

As strange as it may seem to you, when Columbus arrived at America in 1492, there were some faiths, existing today, which had not yet been established anywhere in the world.  Thus he could not have brought them to the USA.  

In 1492, Columbus would not find a Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Mormon, Nazarene, Jehovah Witness, Seventh Day Adventist and Episcopalian church.  At best, the Lutheran church was still 38 years away; the Presbyterian did not form until 1535; John Smyth established the Baptist church 115 years later and John Wesley organized the Methodist church 237 years after Columbus sailed to the new world.

The Roman Catholic Church had been in existence for centuries as the apostate church prophesied by the Holy Spirit in 1 Timothy 4.  Other churches such as the Mormon, Jehovah Witness and Seventh Day Adventist were nearly 400 years away from beginning.  When Columbus sailed in 1492, the modern day representation of “worship the church of your choice” was non-existent.  Yet, there were in 1492 people of God devoted to Christ who worshiped in simple form of the NT pattern throughout the known world. How do we know this?  Simply by knowing the NT doctrines and testing the practices of religious groups by comparing them with the NT.

It's a very easy test relating the church of Christ to NT doctrines.  The most common test is to compare their practice of Great Commission baptism with NT examples and commands.  Great Commission baptism according to the NT is for the purpose of remitting sins, Acts 2:38, among other purposes.   Anytime a group practices this same doctrine, it becomes suspicious as being part of the church of Christ.  This is at least the beginning of proper study and research.

A very revealing point of establishment is the fact that the Lord's church actively began on Pentecost in Acts chapter two.  This one single fact eliminates all other faiths as being the original or authentic and exposes them as being counterfeit.  

Let’s look at just a few churches and learn when, where and by whom they were established;

1. Roman Catholic Church, 606, Rome, Pope Boniface III.

2. Lutheran, 1530, Germany, Martin Luther.

3. Presbyterian, 1536, Switzerland, John Calvin.

4. Church of England, 1534, England, Henry VIII.

5. Baptist Church, 1607, England, John Smyth.

6. Methodist Church, 1729, England, John Wesley.

7. Mormon Church, 1830, New York, Joseph Smith.

8. Jehovah Witness, 1874, Pennsylvania, Charles Russel.

9. Church of God, 1880, United States, D. S. Warner.

10. Nazarene Church, 1895, California, P. F. Bresee.

11. Holiness Church, 1907, Illinois, Howard Hoople.

Do you notice that not a single one of them began in Jerusalem?

Luke 24:44-49
44 Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me."
45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
46 Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day,
47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
48 And you are witnesses of these things.
49 Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high."

How do you interpret, “…beginning at Jerusalem”?

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 10:04PM #12
Pam34

I interpret it the way most actual historians and honest theologians interpret it, clydson. There was a group of Jesus-followers in Jerusalem, mostly Jews. There were Gentile groups of Jesus- followers outside the area, distributed through the Roman empire.

The Jewish group was annihilated sometime between 70 and 135 CE. The Gentile groups survived, in several permutations. One group believed Jesus was human, and adopted by God as a 'son'. Another group believed Jesus was divine, and only 'looked' human - for example.

Until Constantine required 'Christians' to get their act together and define exactly what they meant when they said 'Christian', these groups mostly survived reasonably well in different parts of the Roman empire and outside it. When they had to get together and decide exactly what they DID believe, they defined what was 'orthodox' belief and what was 'heretical'. The majority 'orthodox' believers are what you would call those apostate Roman Catholics - a denomination which also calls itself, upon occasion, 'the church of Christ'.

End of short story. There's a lot more detail of course.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2010 - 5:58AM #13
Clydson

Actually, "...beginning at Jerusalem" is better understood in light of scripture.  I realize this is a very unpopular stance by most in Christendom, for it is mostly ignored.  Everyone clamors they are the original, but they were not in Jerusalem at the proper time.  It appears that everyone wants to be her, but it is obvious, by their fruits, they are merely pretenders.  

What a refreshing idea it is; true restoration!

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 3:33PM #14
Pam34

This isn't a debate forum, so I'll go - but you are certainly giving the OP a good idea of the exact nature of the coc, at least, which seems to have been the original question.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 6:57PM #15
Eagle-1

Just to bump this thread up to the top, I  agree with Pam  that  it's  a  position, a belief, not really fact.  

Eagle
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook