Switch to Forum Live View Do you need to mention EVERY single sin in confession?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 1:42AM #1
Zikten
And do you need to go into detail? The only time I ever went, was First Confession as a child. I can barely remember it....
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2010 - 2:56PM #2
Fraggle

no need to be anxious about reporting EVERY SINGLE sin, for that risks the spiritual disorder of scruplousity.  a well-informed priest understands that it doesn't do the soul any good to obsess over sins, that contrition need about psychologically self-flagellating oneself.

it is necessary to report every mortal sin, for it is those sins that destroy spiritual life, cause the most harm, and prevent one from participating in the sacraments.  if there are particular venial sins that you know that have a potential to become mortal sins, then confess them too. otherwise, venial sins are expiated by acts of charity, prayer, and the Act of Contrition done in the beginning of Mass.

what is important is to examine one's conscience prayerfully before God, have contrition for your sins and understand why they are offensive, confess those sins, and have a firm purpose of amendment (the will to do better).

you are not expected to be perfect, but to strive for holy perfection.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2010 - 2:56PM #3
Fraggle

*contrition does not need to be....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 11:43AM #4
belleo

Mar 31, 2010 -- 1:42AM, Zikten wrote:

And do you need to go into detail? The only time I ever went, was First Confession as a child. I can barely remember it....

I use to go to confession often . For whatevr reason I now go once or twice a year .

The last time I went I sat in a room with a priest . I asked him to help me do a good confession . Sin usualy centers on no love for ourselves and others . We are to love God first . For me at one time there was no more praying . That was the root of many of my problems .

I pray that you do not fear going to confession . You can start by speaking to God now and sasking him to forgive you . He always does . When you do go to confession it will be a rejoicing . 

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2011 - 10:58AM #5
Maninblack

When in doubt, ask the priest to talk you through an examination of conscience. That can help a lot.

Also, I've found that there are times I can't remember some of my sins so I say at the end of the confession (before the priest gives me the penance and absolution) "For these sins and those I cannot remember, I ask the Lord's forgiveness and the Church's pardon."

Sin tears at or (in the case of mortal sin) breaks our connection with the grace we can receive from our Lord, so I've found that going to confession regularly (once a week or every two weeks) helps a lot especially with habitual sins and it stregthens you against the power of temptaion as well as psychologically helping you have a clean conscience.

As Scripture says: For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places (Ehesians 6:12)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook