Switch to Forum Live View acknowledge the authority of the Pope
5 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2010 - 1:57PM #1
Bob10

Already, the nominally Christian churches of this world acknowledge the authority of the Pope and the church of Rome.  You don’t believe me?  You think I’m full of applesauce?  If so, then explain WHY the so-called Christian churches of the world take for granted hundreds if not thousands of ROMAN CATHOLIC DOCTRINES AND BELIEFS?

You need to know that most, if not all of the beliefs and doctrines held dear to the heart of the Protestant churches come directly to you by way of the church of Rome.

garnertedarmstrong.org/Mark_Wordfroms/ma...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2010 - 5:42PM #2
Bezant

"Already, the nominally Christian churches of this world acknowledge the authority of the Pope and the church of Rome.  You don’t believe me?  You think I’m full of applesauce?  If so, then explain WHY the so-called Christian churches of the world take for granted hundreds if not thousands of ROMAN CATHOLIC DOCTRINES AND BELIEFS?

You need to know that most, if not all of the beliefs and doctrines held dear to the heart of the Protestant churches come directly to you by way of the church of Rome."

Hey,

As a former Methodist and current Catholic, I have to say that you're not being gentle and humble as Paul instructs us when we talk about our faith. First of all, in the catechism, most are not "so-called Christian churches" as you say but properly Christian "ecclesiastical communities," so watch your terms unless you really mean to accuse Methodists of being heretical. And yes, you're right, much of what Methodist Christians practice has been handed down through the Catholic Church, everything from communion (even if different from ours) to the 27 books of the New Testament accepted as Christian Scripture; my former church even practiced Lent. But don't waltz this forum assuming its easy for people to understand what we Catholics know and find easy to understand, especially if you're going to be very rude doing it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2010 - 4:45PM #3
TemplarS

Mar 20, 2010 -- 1:57PM, Bob10 wrote:

If so, then explain WHY the so-called Christian churches of the world take for granted hundreds if not thousands of ROMAN CATHOLIC DOCTRINES AND BELIEFS?

Uh, maybe because these doctrines are actually Christian?  Both the Catholic and Methodist Churches were around long before Garner Ted Armstrong showed up, and will be around long after he is  but a distant memory.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2010 - 9:28PM #4
Roodog

Already, the nominally Christian churches of this world acknowledge the authority of the Pope and the church of Rome.  You don’t believe me?  You think I’m full of applesauce?  If so, then explain WHY the so-called Christian churches of the world take for granted hundreds if not thousands of ROMAN CATHOLIC DOCTRINES AND BELIEFS?

You need to know that most, if not all of the beliefs and doctrines held dear to the heart of the Protestant churches come directly to you by way of the church of Rome.

garnertedarmstrong.org/Mark_Wordfroms/ma...

SO???

You got a problem with that???

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2010 - 1:17PM #5
lucaspa

We share a common ancestry with the Catholic Church.  Most, if not all, the shared beliefs arose within Christianity before  the primacy of the Bishop of Rome as Pope in the 300s and 400s. 

Most of the differences arose after the establishment of the Papacy and the additions/changes to the faith instituted by various Popes.

Very specifically, Protestants denied the authority of the Pope to decide theological issues.  That's why, to Catholics, we are all  heretics.

"If sound science appears to contradict the Bible, we may be sure that it is our interpretation of the Bible that is at fault."  Christian Observer, 1832, pg. 437

"Christians should look on evolution simply as the method by which God works."  James McCosh, theologian and President of Princeton, The Religious Aspects of Evolution, 2d ed. 1890, pg 68.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2010 - 1:22PM #6
lucaspa

Mar 27, 2010 -- 5:42PM, Bezant wrote:

First of all, in the catechism, most are not "so-called Christian churches" as you say but properly Christian "ecclesiastical communities," so watch your terms unless you really mean to accuse Methodists of being heretical.

LaughingWe are heretical!  I've looked up on the Catholic website the essentials of "orthodox" faith and one of those essentials is obedience to the Pope.  By denying the authority of the Pope we Methodists, and all Protestants, are heretics in the sight of the Catholic Church!

As I said, because Catholics and Protestant share a common ancestry, many of the beliefs and practices are the same.  For instance, the 27 books of the NT accepted as scripture were accepted before the primacy of the Bishop of Rome happened, so those books predate both Catholicism and Protestantism.   Notice that Protestant Bibles leave out several books in the OT that are included in the Catholic Bible.

"If sound science appears to contradict the Bible, we may be sure that it is our interpretation of the Bible that is at fault."  Christian Observer, 1832, pg. 437

"Christians should look on evolution simply as the method by which God works."  James McCosh, theologian and President of Princeton, The Religious Aspects of Evolution, 2d ed. 1890, pg 68.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook