Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What would happen if we all followed Provident Living?
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 9:38AM #1
Lavender

We'd be one step closer to heaven on earth for one thing. I was studying the VT message this morning and PL is the topic. We wouldn't be in this economic mess if people would follow this advice. Don't bite off more than you can chew; as sure as I'm typing, the teaser rates WILL go up. Besides, big houses and fancy cars are highly overrated; you've got to stay on top of things. A big house means that much more to clean.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 9:41AM #2
UwishUwereMe
People would tend not to be as "prickish" as they can be at times now.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 9:45AM #3
Lavender

I just get frustrated. There are government bailouts for people in tens os thousands worth of debt; but what about the people who have been more responsible? The message the fed is sending is, "You want that? Go ahead and buy it; we'll garuntee you won't pay one cent for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 1:32PM #4
mercedes62

Last year I went to a small branch with my family b/c they have to send in talks from other wards b/c there are so few in this branch. I attended Relief Society where the lesson was PL.

The lesson quickly turned to the subject of money. 

(People love to counsel others what they should do with their money.)

One lady who was probably 300lbs + was talking about how her neighbor had a 6 bedroom home and only had one child. She thought that this was crazy when that man could be giving that money to the poor. My thought was, this man may very well have been able to pay for that house and may not be in any debt at all. He has every right to buy the house because he makes the money. Who can say but that he could have bought a 12 bedroom house but instead chose the 6 and actually gave much to charity? But this lady, on the other hand, was not living providently because she weighed 300+ pounds! What about the food that she could have given to the poor?

We have to really watch what our judgments of others are because it may come back to bite us and we really need to get ourselves in order and not look at others so much.

Some people can eat what they want because they have a better metabolism and so the can afford to spend the extra calories. Some people make more money and can spend more without going into debt. This woman was in calorie debt judging another whom may very well have been living in his means and providently.

Provident living applies to all of our urges and appetites, not just spending money.

It's about balance in all areas. I really like the topic, because I have many areas to focus on getting in balance!

I agree with the huge uncontrolled appetite of the government tho...YIKES

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 1:52PM #5
UwishUwereMe
One lady who was probably 300lbs + was talking about how her neighbor had a 6 bedroom home and only had one child. She thought that this was crazy when that man could be giving that money to the poor. My thought was, this man may very well have been able to pay for that house and may not be in any debt at all. He has every right to buy the house because he makes the money. Who can say but that he could have bought a 12 bedroom house but instead chose the 6 and actually gave much to charity? But this lady, on the other hand, was not living providently because she weighed 300+ pounds! What about the food that she could have given to the poor?

UWUWM:  Mercedes, hmmm... I totally agree with you. 

I once broached the topic of over weight people and was lambasted.  But... What you have said I see in meetings all the time.  Someone jealous pointing a finger.  You are right... This neightbor could have just down sized from a 15,000 square foot Super Mansion, and moved into a 6-bedroom home and had donated all of the proceeds of the sale of the Super Masion to a battered Women's Shelter, Cancer and AIDS research, and the rest to Haiti & Katrina victims.  We don't know.  But it's the "we don't know" part that typically keeps my mouth shut and my thoughts on my own problems.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 3:50PM #6
Lavender

I agree PL is more than just about money; but you also have to be careful of the weight thing, too. Some meds can really mess up the metabolism, as well as conditions like hypothyroidism. So, sometimes people don't really have to eat a lot to pack on the pounds.

PL is even more than that, though; it's about industry and putting away for a "rainy day."  My great-grandmother did a lot of canning in her day, but you must know how to do it to the letter, because if you don't, you'll give yourself and your family botulism. And don't get me anywhere near a sewing machine; I just end up making more work for the lady that has to tear apart and resew. Come to think of it, about the ONLY thing I can do with PL is live within my budget (and still have some left over) and eat healthy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 7:41PM #7
moksha8088

Is there a brief definition as to what is meant by "Provident Living"?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 12:02AM #8
BillThinks4Himself

Feb 24, 2010 -- 9:45AM, Lavender wrote:

I just get frustrated. There are government bailouts for people in tens os thousands worth of debt; but what about the people who have been more responsible? The message the fed is sending is, "You want that? Go ahead and buy it; we'll garuntee you won't pay one cent for it.

Whether or not we ever get universal healthcare, it's obvious we've already been treated to wealthcare.  That's where Wall Street's sufferings are shared evenly, spread out as it were so that all of us can provide free medicine to the bonus boys.

When you hurt, you get the invisible hand.

When they hurt, you get the invisible finger.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 9:45AM #9
Lavender

Moksha-

I think there's a link to a PL site posted at lds.org

If you can't find it (and there might not be one) try browsing the magazine link.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 9:54AM #10
UwishUwereMe
I think the question pertains to your views and interpretations not just is what is printed in black and white.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook