Switch to Forum Live View Question on trinity
5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 10:21PM #1
Jehovahs_light

I have always been taught to believe in the trinity. I always felt that the trinity meant that there is one God who manifests himself in three different modes- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Just like a person can take on different roles in life depending on who he is talking to and what he is doing. Example: Father, Son, and friend. I was told that this concept is not what the trinity it though and that its called oneness and its unbiblical. Can someone please explain to me if this is really oneness and if so...then what is the trinity then? Thank you very much for your time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 7:11PM #2
Skydancer

Hello My name is ( skydancer ) Praise God! I noticed that there weren't any replies to this forum post. If it's OK I'ld like to share what myself a catholic was taught and to believe. So here goes. This is a prayer that I say every morning when I wake up. It comes from what we call a catechism. First I make the sign of the cross then say ; I acknowledge you, God, to be my true Father. I acknowledge you in the person of your Son to be my brother, friend, and Redeemer. In the person of your Holy Spirit I acknowledge you to be my Sanctifier.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2010 - 11:26AM #3
James

Feb 16, 2010 -- 10:21PM, Jehovahs_light wrote:

I have always been taught to believe in the trinity. I always felt that the trinity meant that there is one God who manifests himself in three different modes- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Just like a person can take on different roles in life depending on who he is talking to and what he is doing. Example: Father, Son, and friend. I was told that this concept is not what the trinity it though and that its called oneness and its unbiblical. Can someone please explain to me if this is really oneness and if so...then what is the trinity then? Thank you very much for your time.

I am glad you posted this, although I am late replying. I hope you still logon and get the chance to read this. Since I am Oneness I would say your view is more Oneness than Trinitarian. Oneness is NOT modalism though which it is sometimes called and sometimes Oneness believers call themselves this out of ignorance. You can visit my blog Evidential Faith if you have any interest in learning about Oneness Theology.

Concisely, since I am not Trinitarian, the Trinity is normally described as One God, in being, and three persons within that being, all persons experiencing co-equality and co-eternality.

Oneness is normally described as One God, in being, having only one person, namely Jesus Christ--the expressed image of God. Oneness does recognize that the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit have existed from eternity but Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is the Word manifest in the flesh. Oneness rejects the eternality of the Son of God who came in time at the Incarnation. The distinction recognized is between the Father and the Son because of the Incarnation, in which God became a man. The Father is God existing as God and the Son is God existing as man. The Holy Spirit refers to God's essence or spiritual action.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2010 - 12:08AM #4
Theo

Yes, your concept of God as you related it is more Modalistic than it is Trinitarian.

The Doctrine of the Trinity teaches faith in One God; as revealed primarily in the NT, as God the Father, the Son of God, and the Holy Spirit. Trinitarians often use the phrase “God the Son” because that is what we believe the phrase “Son of God” means in Scripture. Thus we do not believe that God the Father was manifested in the flesh… we believe that God the Son was manifested in the flesh, and that He was indwelt by God through the Holy Spirit.

We believe that God the Father is a Person of God, and so also - the Son and Holy Spirit. Yes we believe They are co-eternal and co-equal, but that this status pertains to their Nature as God, (i.e. the essence of their Being – or if you prefer the old English – Godhead.) Practically speaking God the Father is first in rank or authority, with the Son and Holy Spirit in subjection to His will. Hence They obey His will… thus God sent the Son, who said I have come to do your will O God. Likewise the Son sent the Holy Spirit – when He ascended to God the Father.

It has been my experience that Modalism, or Oneness Pentecostal theology leads people to deny the deity of Jesus Christ. And I say this because as a graduate of a Oneness Pentecostal Bible College, most of my class mates of 30 years ago, have chucked Modalism for what they call the doctrine of the Son of God. Namely, that Jesus was a perfect Man, in whom the One True God was so pleased, that He made His dwelling place in the Body of Jesus. Thus in their view, Jesus was only God in that God dwelt in Him.

Other Modalists, of the UPC verity, have not gone down this road, even so, their doctrine confuses the Persons of God and makes hamburger of the New Testament. I have heard Oneness preachers read John 3:16, and then talk about how some folks think that God sent His Son to die for the sins of the world – but that this is all wrong! God didn’t send His boy to do a man’s work – He came Himself! God was manifested in the flesh!

But frankly – this is poison. Its heresy, it’s a denial of the teachings of Jesus Christ Himself. Jesus said that He was sent by God. He said that there were two that bore witness to Him… Himself and His Father in heaven.

St. John said that those who have God have both the Father AND the Son. Modalism denies the Father and the Son, and instead confuses them, making the Father and the Son out to be the same Person.

I am a father, and a son. But I am not my own son or my own father. If the New Testament means anything – then God is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ – and Jesus is His Son. Therefore Modalism or Oneness theology obviously can not be true.  

I am here for you if you want to talk about these issues. Just click on my user profile and e-mail me.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook