5 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 10:17PM #1
Jehovahs_light

I have been reading up on dispensationalism the past few days. I was wondering if the Baptist church views this as something biblical or unbiblical? I was also wondering what the difference was between progressive and traditional dispensationalism. I am attending Jerry Fawell's university (Liberty University) and had read some place that he use to preach this. I wasn't sure if that is true or not though. Thank you very much for your time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2010 - 1:01PM #2
sincerly

Feb 16, 2010 -- 10:17PM, Jehovahs_light wrote:

I have been reading up on dispensationalism the past few days. I was wondering if the Baptist church views this as something biblical or unbiblical? I was also wondering what the difference was between progressive and traditional dispensationalism. I am attending Jerry Fawell's university (Liberty University) and had read some place that he use to preach this. I wasn't sure if that is true or not though. Thank you very much for your time.

JL, The word "dispensation" is found in the KJV  4 times. It is from the Greek word "oikonomia" . The same word is seen 3 times as "Servant".  It has the usage/meaning of: 

1) the management of a household or of household affairs

a)specifically, the management, oversight, administration, of other's property

b) the office of a manager or overseer, stewardship

c) administration, dispensation

Paul's usage: 1Cor.9:17, "For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation [of the gospel] is committed unto me."

Eph.1:10; 3:2, "That in the dispensationof the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; [even] in him:"-------"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:"

Col.1:25, "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;"

Jesus usage in the unjust steward parable:  Luke  :2-4, And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward. Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.  I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses."

As you can see, it is a correct Biblical term. However, like many other things scripturally correct------man has "twisted the meaning" to suit their own philosophies.  Just as Peter understood and exposed long ago. (2Peter 3:16).

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 1:05AM #3
Roodog

Feb 16, 2010 -- 10:17PM, Jehovahs_light wrote:

I speak to you as a dispensationalist:

The system is not perfect but is the best way to explain the changes in which God deals with mankind.Things were different between the way God had Abraham do things and how He had Moses do things. There is a difference between the Old and New Covenant significant enough to differentiate between Christians and Jews.

Like I said, there are problems, I balk at blood sacrafices being offered during the Millenium! The death of Christ did away with the need for such sacrafices.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 5:04PM #4
samuelbb7

I have studied about Dispensationalism.  It came from John Darby in the early 20th century. It is part of the foundation of the Secret Rapture belief.  Scoffield who set up the Scoffield reference Bible is considered the primary work and is advocated by Dallas Theological Seminary.

I personall and Theologically have many problems with this system of Hermantics.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 3:22PM #5
sincerly

Feb 22, 2010 -- 1:05AM, Roodog wrote:

I speak to you as a dispensationalist:

The system is not perfect but is the best way to explain the changes in which God deals with mankind. .

Roodog, How can it be the best way to deal with changes man imagines(those millennial sacrifices)  When the inerrant Scriptures state, as you agree, that those things were "for the time then present"??Heb.9:9-10   Christ has been here and done that.

Isn't that teaching just a cover-up for future events which are claimed will occur??? (such as the above example).

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 10:33PM #6
Stephenway

Since dispensation is a term that has to do with arranging in order, or dispensing (as in dispensing medicine or dispensing the execution of an order or law) then it can be used by any church or any social group or any individual to signify any such ordering.  If I divided a month into weeks and said that each week represented anything I wanted to say, then I could teach the dispensational weeks of that month.  In many denominations 'dispensationalism' can be taught as certain divisions or periods marked by some or any know marker.  It does not necessarily have to have religious significance attached, but some people do attach religious significance to it.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook