Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 7:29AM #1
Shaner

Anyone besides myself going to watch the Open Ceremonies this evening?  We've been pumped about the Olympics for weeks now, with a big media blitz going on, :-).

They couldn't have picked a more beautiful, suitable Province for the Winter Olympics, British Columbia is ideal with its varied climate and the Rocky Mountain Range. 

Does anyone have a favorite Sport and/or Athletes that they'll be rooting for? 

I'll be diplomatic and wish all the athletes the best, all have trained hard to be a member of their Olympic Team! 

Anyone else an armchair athlete, lol ?

God bless, Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 10:13AM #2
TemplarS

Yes, Sandy, I'll be watching a lot of the games.

I actually like the Winter Games more than the Summer ones.  The Summer Olympics are always dominated by the big 4 (US,Russia, Germany and now China);  it's nice to see all these smaller countries like Austria and Norway making their mark.

I'm a skiier, so I'll be watching the Alpine skiing events; also snowboarding, freestyle, hockey, bobsled/luge/skeleton.  I don't much care for figure skating, which for most people seems to be the most popular event.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 10:39AM #3
cove52

I have always enjoyed the figure skating events.  Dorothy Hamil is my era.  All the girls wanted that haircut of hers, lol.  Who can forget the Nancy and Tonya drama???  My favorite is the special show the skaters put on at the end of the competition.  I loved to ice skate as a kid.  There was an outdoor rink near my house. I can remember carrying my skates around my neck walking a mile in freezing temps just to skate.  Ahhhh, the memories.  Laughing

Sandy, have you purchased your red maple leaf mittens yet???  Wink

My all time favorite, of any sporting event ever, is the 1980 gold medal USA hockey team and their win against the USSR.  I watched it live.  No sporting event has ever lifted my spirits like that game.  Awesome! 

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 11:19AM #4
gilg

Feb 12, 2010 -- 7:29AM, Shaner wrote:

Anyone besides myself going to watch the Open Ceremonies this evening?  We've been pumped about the Olympics for weeks now, with a big media blitz going on, :-).

I will be watching.

Does anyone have a favorite Sport and/or Athletes that they'll be rooting for? 

Figure skating and no favorite, yet.  My all time favorites are Peggy Fleming and Michelle Kwan - both are poetry in motion.

I'll be diplomatic and wish all the athletes the best, all have trained hard to be a member of their Olympic Team! 

Anyone else an armchair athlete, lol ?

God bless, Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 1:36PM #5
Shaner

Feb 12, 2010 -- 10:13AM, TemplarS wrote:

Yes, Sandy, I'll be watching a lot of the games.

I actually like the Winter Games more than the Summer ones.  The Summer Olympics are always dominated by the big 4 (US,Russia, Germany and now China);  it's nice to see all these smaller countries like Austria and Norway making their mark.

I'm a skiier, so I'll be watching the Alpine skiing events; also snowboarding, freestyle, hockey, bobsled/luge/skeleton.  I don't much care for figure skating, which for most people seems to be the most popular event.

I also prefer the Winter Olympics, it does give the opportunity for other Countries to 'show their stuff' other than the big 4. 

This is the 1st time that Guam has a team in the Games, it remind's me of the John Candy movie about the Jamacian Bobsled team....a true story.  Go Guam! 

I'm also a skier and my favorite sports are pretty much the same as your's Temp, they're exciting to watch (for me :-)

Let the Games begin!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 1:49PM #6
Shaner

Feb 12, 2010 -- 10:39AM, cove52 wrote:

I have always enjoyed the figure skating events.  Dorothy Hamil is my era.  All the girls wanted that haircut of hers, lol.  Who can forget the Nancy and Tonya drama???  My favorite is the special show the skaters put on at the end of the competition.  I loved to ice skate as a kid.  There was an outdoor rink near my house. I can remember carrying my skates around my neck walking a mile in freezing temps just to skate.  Ahhhh, the memories. 

Sandy, have you purchased your red maple leaf mittens yet??? 

My all time favorite, of any sporting event ever, is the 1980 gold medal USA hockey team and their win against the USSR.  I watched it live.  No sporting event has ever lifted my spirits like that game.  Awesome! 

Gee Leonora, your post brought back memories of myself doing the same when I was younger.......didn't matter how cold it was, after supper we'd all head to the neighborhood outdoor rink to skate until curfew.  There was a shack with a pot-bellied stove to warm you up so you could get back out there, :-).

Yes, I have my red mittens, I bought them last fall, good thing too.....you couldn't find a pair now anywhere in our city! 

Yep, who can forget the Tonya, Nancy fiasco!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 1:55PM #7
Shaner

Glad to hear it Gil.....you're a figure skating fan!  Not a big fan of the sport, but I do watch the finals, see who win's the Medals, :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 2:49PM #8
jane2

Let the Games begin.

Just for atmosphere it is snowing in Hotlanta. It has snowed an inch in the last hour but it is not sticking to the roads.

Figure skating is my fave--it was my sport as a teen. But I love the skiing and "sled" sports, too.

Michelle Kwan is an icon for me and Brian Boitano is my favorite Olympic champion. I've had the pleasure of seeing both skate here many times.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2010 - 12:13AM #9
jane2

Sandy

I want express supreme regret for the accident on the luge run that claimed a life.

Also, though I still hope the Games in Vancourver will be all we hoped they would be.

I'm not allowed to send you a personal message but I would have.

I grew up less than a hundred miles from the Canadian border. I learned two things: that Canada is our beloved nation to the North and that it is a sovereign nation to be honored as such. I've tried to honor both thoughts all my life.

You are our beloved neighbors. Our relationship is a wonder among nations.

Last night I was especially pleased when the US athletes were followed by the Canadians. We are separate nations but we have a solidairty.

On another board last night I posted a barb about Bob Costas telling  that the Gaelic fiiddling, music and dances were French Canadian. I witnessed them in Nova Scotia. Costas needs to do his homework.

I wish Canada well in these Games. How could I not. I revered seeing Barbara
Ann Scott caring the Olympic flag. I adored her. (not in the divine sense.)

kUDOS to Canada, Sandy

Jane

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2010 - 2:37PM #10
gilg

Feb 14, 2010 -- 12:13AM, jane2 wrote:

Sandy

I want express supreme regret for the accident on the luge run that claimed a life.

Also, though I still hope the Games in Vancourver will be all we hoped they would be.

I'm not allowed to send you a personal message but I would have.

I grew up less than a hundred miles from the Canadian border. I learned two things: that Canada is our beloved nation to the North and that it is a sovereign nation to be honored as such. I've tried to honor both thoughts all my life.

You are our beloved neighbors. Our relationship is a wonder among nations.

Last night I was especially pleased when the US athletes were followed by the Canadians. We are separate nations but we have a solidairty.

On another board last night I posted a barb about Bob Costas telling  that the Gaelic fiiddling, music and dances were French Canadian. I witnessed them in Nova Scotia. Costas needs to do his homework.

I wish Canada well in these Games. How could I not. I revered seeing Barbara
Ann Scott caring the Olympic flag. I adored her. (not in the divine sense.)

kUDOS to Canada, Sandy

Jane

Jane,

Very nicely expressed, you captured my sentiments too.

I was impressed with the beauty of the area and the opening ceremony was superb. Even the kids were fascinated with the lighting effects and the overall ceremony. For a five year old to sit down and watch most of it says how good it was.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook