Switch to Forum Live View Forgiveness, and hot tubs
4 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2010 - 9:37PM #1
Vanessa86

Not a DoC-centric topic, but I thought I'd throw this out to the board:

I'm on deployment to Oklahoma, and was soaking in the hotel hot tub when I decided to go through my forgiveness list. For me, that's the list I go through every so often of people I need to forgive (and it sometimes includes people who need to forgive me, just to be fair.) Anyway, as I was pondering each individual, I realized that ALL of them came down to this: whatever their transgressions, their behavior hurt me because they weren't who I thought or hoped they were. There in the bubbling water, I realized I needed to let go of these hopes and expectations and simply accept these people for who they are and let all the other stuff go.

I was kind of stunned by this revelation -- not about the need for forgiveness or acceptance, but that EVERY one of them came down to the same thing. 

I know we have a lot of clergy on the board, and a lot of long-time Christians, so I ask: is this common?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 4:44PM #2
mecdukebec
"And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you—not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ." -- 1 Peter 3.21

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 5:48PM #3
Campbellite

Quite an interesting observation, vanesa. As we used to say at LTS back in the day, "That will preach!"

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2012 - 3:05AM #4
Estacia

One may be totally suprised by where we decide to forgive.

I don't believe it matter where or how.

It takes tons of courage to do so.

*********Quite an old post but it is a good one************

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook