Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View DEVILS ADVOCATE--DYING FORUM
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 12:14AM #1
jane2

Lot's going on the Catholic World and not one comment here: priests accused of abuse in Italy and Germany, Cardianl Rode and Benedict on what it means to be Catholic--see NCR, etc., American women religious refusing to engage the commission designed to investigate them, too much incense in too many parishes and asthmatics getting sick, not even a coment on the Saints marching in at Superbowl in a demolished city. I've deleted two posts here: think I'll let this one stand until hell freezes over.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 7:49AM #2
WaveringCC

Feb 9, 2010 -- 12:14AM, jane2 wrote:

Lot's going on the Catholic World and not one comment here: priests accused of abuse in Italy and Germany, Cardianl Rode and Benedict on what it means to be Catholic--see NCR, etc., American women religious refusing to engage the commission designed to investigate them, too much incense in too many parishes and asthmatics getting sick, not even a coment on the Saints marching in at Superbowl in a demolished city. I've deleted two posts here: think I'll let this one stand until hell freezes over.

LOL!  Jane, the problem is, discussing those kinds of topics could lead to "debate", which is, as you know, not welcome on this board. 

Well, maybe talking about the superbowl would be OK.  We did see part of the game, at a friend's house.  Our street finally was plowed on Sunday afternoon, so we could escape our dark, cold, silent house for theirs, lucky people with electricity.  And when we came home after the game - voila! - someone had said

Let there be light!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 2:02PM #3
Shaner

Feb 9, 2010 -- 7:49AM, WaveringCC wrote:

LOL!  Jane, the problem is, discussing those kinds of topics could lead to "debate", which is, as you know, not welcome on this board. 

Well, maybe talking about the superbowl would be OK.  We did see part of the game, at a friend's house.  Our street finally was plowed on Sunday afternoon, so we could escape our dark, cold, silent house for theirs, lucky people with electricity.  And when we came home after the game - voila! - someone had said

Let there be light!

Beliefnet has designated this Forum as a no debate, arguing zone, the majority of people can respectfully discuss issues without resorting to debate, unfortunately a handful can't seem to.  C'est la vie.

Actually I ventured over to the Discuss & Debate Forum a couple of weeks ago and people there were posting much the same.....discussion has gone way down and topics are rehash's of old ones.  I was surprised to read that! 

There's already a Topic here on US Religious Women and the Vatican's investigation of them, and as far as football goes, I'm not a fan, wouldn't post about it....nothing stopping others though. 

Unfortunately three good posters have left this Forum and Beliefnet, tired of all the dissension that a few create.  They're sorely missed! 

In addition, add to that the number of posters who have left, because of the new format, changeover. 

So what's a person to do??  As you said Jane, leave it here until hell freezes over, LOL!!!

God Bless,

Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 3:53PM #4
jane2

Feb 9, 2010 -- 2:02PM, Shaner wrote:

Feb 9, 2010 -- 7:49AM, WaveringCC wrote:

Let there be light!

Beliefnet has designated this Forum as a no debate, arguing zone, the majority of people can respectfully discuss issues without resorting to debate, unfortunately a handful can't seem to.  C'est la vie.

Actually I ventured over to the Discuss & Debate Forum a couple of weeks ago and people there were posting much the same.....discussion has gone way down and topics are rehash's of old ones.  I was surprised to read that! 

There's already a Topic here on US Religious Women and the Vatican's investigation of them, and as far as football goes, I'm not a fan, wouldn't post about it....nothing stopping others though. 

Unfortunately three good posters have left this Forum and Beliefnet, tired of all the dissension that a few create.  They're sorely missed! 

In addition, add to that the number of posters who have left, because of the new format, changeover. 

So what's a person to do??  As you said Jane, leave it here until hell freezes over, LOL!!!

God Bless,

Sandy

Sandy

I'm genuinely sorry the posters had to leave. Perhaps Catholic Answers or some such will be a better venue for them. Obviously they made their intentions known.

For some reason the Holidays this year left many of us drained and there was a dimunition of posting for awhile.

The new format has baffled people. I just leave the bds I visit bookmarked.

Here's to the Winter Games in your country. I can't wait. Brian Orser is coaching one of the favorites for Gold in figure skating. I loved the Calgary Games--I'm old!! Frank Carroll is coaching Evan Lysacek in men's figure skating; Frank is a graduate of Holy Cross. I love the skiing too and I'm trying to get up to speed in snowboarding.

Wavering

I'm hoping you don't get hit with this newer storm. Be warm and safe. Funny about the lights coming on when you went home after SB.

Jane

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 10:04AM #5
cove52

Busted Halo site has drawn my attention lately.  Thanks for introducing that site to me, Sandy.

Well, ya want to talk Superbowl.  How about the Focus on the Family/Tebow ad?  Wasn't much of anything yet I managed to end up in a minor debate with a pro-choicer at facebook, lol.  A "friend" of my niece.  All I did was mention that the ad wasn't much to fuss about. Totally derailed her fun topic regarding what everyone thought of the ads during superbowl. Oh boy!  Anyway, that is another site I spend more time at now-a-days. 

Maybe the lack of activity here is a sign of the times.  People just have more things to concern themselves with.  Busy using computer time to look for a job.  (shrug)

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 11:08AM #6
steve123
Or maybe too busy interacting face-to-face with people.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 1:35PM #7
cove52

Feb 11, 2010 -- 11:08AM, steve123 wrote:

Or maybe too busy interacting face-to-face with people.

When loved ones live far from you, it is nice to have web-sites like fb to help bridge the divide. 

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 9:28PM #8
jane2

This is a dying forum..................Perhaps that is just meant to be.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 9:52AM #9
Shaner

Good thing I came to check out the Forum.....I've been having computer woes and it was difficult to post for a while.  This Forum will only die out if people want it to, frankly there are many, many Forums that haven't seen postings in months!!

Please don't depend solely on me to post new Topics, everyone can pitch in :-)

Blessed Lenten Season,

Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 10:20PM #10
Mareczku

I have trouble finding Ave Maria Cafe but am glad that I checked in and found comments from my friends here.  Big hugs go out to you all.  I did get to watch some of the Olympics.  They were great.  It was wonderful for Canada.  Congrats on a great job to our friends from the North.  Hope everyone has survived the snows of winter well.  Peace and blessings to all.

Mark 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook