Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View What is a traditional Methodist service like?
8 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2010 - 4:39PM #1
christzen

Here's my situation.I had been a Baptist up til about 5 yrs ago.I finally got tired of the 45 minute self serving sermons,the self serving concert by the music guy disguised as a music service,and all the rest of the Baptist stuff.I went looking for something more like original Christianity as far as the worship experience.Attended some Eastern Orthodox services regularly and loved them,but had some trouble with the authoritarian nature of the EO.Eventually left them without joining because you can't take communion unless you are a member,and I just couldn't accept certain teachings to join them,such as them being the only ones in the Body of Christ.Started attending an Episcopalian Church and was happy there until we moved to another town.Found another Episcopalian Church here,liked it,and then one day the priest is gone and there are messages on their website about all the trauma of the past year and the need for healing.Don't have a clue what that was all about,but now the interim priest mumbles so badly that none of my family can understand more than half of what he is saying,and he is alays adjusting his hearing aid during the service so I guess he is having issues himself.Now I discover after a year of being w/o a priest the church is just now getting around to even looking for a new priest and is still gathering info about what kind of priest they need to be looking for.This is in addition to all the infighting that goes on with the Episcopalians.The only other Episcopal church here is a contemporary one,and I have zero desire for a contemporary service.Been there,done that,don't care for it.So now we are trying to decide what to do next.My family is tired of suffering through a mumbled Liturgy we cannot hear,and are looking around.We would prefer a liturgical service similar to the Episcopalians with similar,non Baptist non pulpiteering sermons,and are wondering about a 1st UMC.

Any info would be appreciated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2010 - 10:43AM #2
Eicka

We have a small church of 60.  We are happy in our love of God and service to Him.  We have a choir in robes.  Our pastor wears robes except in the summer.  Congregation participates as liturgist, greeter, collection takers and almost anywhere else they want to serve.  We do lots of singing and unity readings as well as responsive readings.  Communion is open table and available to anyone who is trying to live a better life in Christ.  I was once a Southern Baptist.  We have former Catholics in our church.  We believe in the holy catholic (all Christian churches) church.  We have communion the first Sunday of each month, followed by a potluck (sharing fellowship with others).  I hope this answers some of your questions.  I am part of this church because I would drive by the building and a voice would say "This is where you belong".  I ignored this for almost a year.  The Voice did not point me in the wrong direction.  The pastor is always happy to answer any question and help in any way as are all members of the church.

Peace be with you and go with God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2010 - 3:00AM #3
Mvktr2

The previous post is a fairly accurate description of a UMC worship service.  I'd like to add a bit.  The service is quite a bit more formal and participatory than a Baptist service.  It must be said, it can vary greatly from church to church, aren't most denominations like that when it comes to feel of service.  The singing of Gloria Patri, passing of peace, the entrance of the light and cross, and the reciting of an affirmation of faith are common to at least 90% of traditional UMC worship services.  Additionally you might encounter the responsive reading of a Psalter (Psalm), a robed or un-robed minister, robed or un-robed choir, a children's church/time for the child in all of us, and much much more.  The rules that govern United Methodist churches allow for a wide variety of expressions of faith.  Some UMC churches have people speaking in tounges while others will be as stoic as any Baptist church you've been in.  So have I confused you enough!  Basically it'll depend on your geographical location and the demographic area you're looking at churches ie rural vs urban, etc.

Good Luck & God Bless,

Phillip

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2010 - 7:37AM #4
delmarvamom

Jan 27, 2010 -- 3:00AM, Mvktr2 wrote:

The previous post is a fairly accurate description of a UMC worship service.  I'd like to add a bit.  The service is quite a bit more formal and participatory than a Baptist service.  It must be said, it can vary greatly from church to church, aren't most denominations like that when it comes to feel of service.  The singing of Gloria Patri, passing of peace, the entrance of the light and cross, and the reciting of an affirmation of faith are common to at least 90% of traditional UMC worship services.  Additionally you might encounter the responsive reading of a Psalter (Psalm), a robed or un-robed minister, robed or un-robed choir, a children's church/time for the child in all of us, and much much more.  The rules that govern United Methodist churches allow for a wide variety of expressions of faith.  Some UMC churches have people speaking in tounges while others will be as stoic as any Baptist church you've been in.  So have I confused you enough!  Basically it'll depend on your geographical location and the demographic area you're looking at churches ie rural vs urban, etc.

Good Luck & God Bless,

Phillip

Where I live, many of the larger Methodist churches have a traditional service and a contemporary service.  The later could have a band, popular contemporary Christian music and casual dress.  The former is pretty stoic and formal, but also peaceful and relaxing.  A minister once said to me that the Methodist church is "a very big tent."  His meaning was that there is broad variance. 

I find my UMC church to be very "middle of the road," but also includes fundamentalists and progressives.  I never assume I am coming from the exact same point of view as another in my congregation.  Our sermons are about 25 minutes and moderate enough to satisfy everyone... biblically based, but focused on the "Good News" and fundemental Christian teachings, rather than ominous warnings, political commentary or condemnations.  We do not have alter calls, adult baptisms or shouting of any kind.  I would say it  was reserved and nonconfrontational.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook