Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Catholics and the Culture of Hate
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2010 - 10:29AM #11
PMG

Jane2 posted in part "... I'm one of the few liberal Catholics who bothers to post here any longer and I am certainly not always well-received...."

I hear what you are saying, Jane.  I am in the same boat.  But if you think the Culture of Hate is stong on  the Beliefnet boards, go over to Catholic.com.  If you've not been there, you'd hardly believe that Catholics could be so hateful toward one another.  The Vatican's "Amen Choir" is so loud and racous that any dissent or support for Democratic politicians elicits cries of "baby killer", "heretic"--and worst of all -- "Protestant!!"{gasp}.

I go there in order to take care alot of the Purgatory time I know I have coming. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2010 - 5:09PM #12
jane2

Jan 27, 2010 -- 10:29AM, PMG wrote:

Jane2 posted in part "... I'm one of the few liberal Catholics who bothers to post here any longer and I am certainly not always well-received...."

I hear what you are saying, Jane.  I am in the same boat.  But if you think the Culture of Hate is stong on  the Beliefnet boards, go over to Catholic.com.  If you've not been there, you'd hardly believe that Catholics could be so hateful toward one another.  The Vatican's "Amen Choir" is so loud and racous that any dissent or support for Democratic politicians elicits cries of "baby killer", "heretic"--and worst of all -- "Protestant!!"{gasp}.

I go there in order to take care alot of the Purgatory time I know I have coming. :-)

I've read a bit about that site on a board here and it sounds scary. Some way to do Purgatory !! One of the nicest men who posts here-Mark- has told some terrifying responses he's received.

The RCC is in a very reactionary phase right now. I chuckled a bit today when I read that the USCCB has issued a letter to the US Congress to get health care passed. Not that long ago they were throwing monkey-wrenches in the House of Representatives.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 10:44PM #13
Mareczku

That was a very good article and excellent responses.  The "Culture of Hate" is very troubling.  Whatever happened to the spirit of Vatican II?  We need some of that back.

Peace - Mark 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2010 - 10:27PM #14
ted08721

Interesting topic, when I moved to Northern Virginia I was researching the internet in hopes to find a parish that I would fit into, the Diocese of Arlington is very conservative.
Anyways I came across this article.

National Catholic Reporter, April 7th, 1995

Right-wing opponents of the reformist Catholic organization Call to Action (CTA) shouted angry epithets at a CTA meeting in Sterling, VA's Redeemer Parish Hall, and eight had to be restrained by law enforcement officials. CTA supports the right of girls to serve as altar assistants.

WASHINGTON -- Confrontations between conservative and reform-minded Catholics at a Virginia church on March 23 resulted in the bodily removal of eight of the protesting conservatives by police and sheriff s deputies. The eight were charged with trespassing.

Disruptions at the northern Virginia Call to Action meet...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2010 - 7:14PM #15
WaveringCC

Another look at this subject - from a young woman who writes a column at NCRonline from the point of view of younger people.

ncronline.org/blogs/young-voices/catholi...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook