Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View DisciplesWorld's Demise
8 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2009 - 8:03PM #1
mitchel1

Sad news was given this week: DisciplesWorld will cease publication. Apparently our denominational journal does not have enough in the way of donations, advertizing and subscription incoming to insure survival. There will be one more issue. It seems I will have the distinction of having an article in the last issue. Sure didn't know that when I was writing it. Too bad the magazine is meeting its end. While it was not perfect -whatever that is- it was a pretty decent periodical, well worth a faithful readership. Have Disciples given up reading. We used to be a tradition of which it was said, "Other church's have their bishops but Disciples have their editors." And now we can't even sustain a single magazine?! What's with that!?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2009 - 8:26AM #2
Quebecois

Sad news indeed. I don't know that magazine, but I know how it's heartbreaking when a publication you're attached to disappears. Especially when the publication is your denominational journal.

Is there another periodical you can read instead ? Something that can "replace", in a way ?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2009 - 8:19AM #3
Campbellite

Not at present, sadly.

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2009 - 8:06AM #4
Quebecois

So, what other religious periodicals do you people read and why these ?

Paper or online, from other denominations or non-denominational.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 1:52PM #5
Vanessa86

I have to confess that I don't read any religious periodicals at this time.

I do read, though. Right now, I am working my way through the religious writings of Madeleine L'Engle, a science fiction/young adult writer. She was a devout Christian who wrote extensively on spirituality and Christianity. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2010 - 12:10PM #6
mitchel1

The final issues of DisciplesWorld is being mailed out today. Is there a future for any Disciples periodical? Once we were defined by our journals. Plural. Now we can't seem to sustain even one. I suppose we could say that all print media is facing a serious challenge. While that is true, it appears that on the rightwing of our movement the churches of Christ have managed to keep the Gospel Advocate, Firm Foundation and Christian Chronicle all viable. What's the deal?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook