Switch to Forum Live View "Come and see" or "Go and do?"
4 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 1:31PM #1
Bevo

"Come and see" or "Go and do?"

As a brief follow up to my post on orthopraxy, which of the above two statements best describes your church?  Most traditional churches are come and see.  Come hear our music, hear our preacher and meet our people.  Emerging churches are, for the most part, go and do.  They take church outside the walls of the church and into the community.

My church, like most churches, is a combination of both, but on balance, it is much more of a come and see than a go and do.  I'm lobbying that we become more of a go and do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 2:11PM #2
Zipporahx

I agree, and my church is both also, but I do believe "Come and See" for non-believers, or new believers is good, when they get the message, then "Go and do"!!

shalom, Zipporahx

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 5:14PM #3
Bevo

Several years ago, the term "unchurched" was popular.  Churches adopted more modern means of worship endeavoring to attract the unchurched (come and see approach).  Today, the term unchurched has been replaced with the term "dechurched."  Dechurched folks have concluded that the entire notion of organized religion, including following Christ and attending church, is a complete waste of time.  Dechurched folks are typically single, late teens, or in the 20's or 30's.  Dechurched folks are not candidates for the come and see approach to doing church.  However, they are candidates for the go and do approach of doing church outside the walls of the church.  Typically, the approach used is Servant Evangelism.  Servant Evangelism is simply doing intentional and random of kindness for folks you've never met.  Examples might include wrapping Christmas gifts at a bookstore for free, paying for a person's cup of coffee, doing a free car wash, passing out free pop sickles at the soccer field, etc, etc.  Dechurched people respond to what we do.  They do not respond to hearing what we believe.  Simple acts of random kindness serve as small tokens that God loves them.  It's an unexpected act in today's world, and the results can be very positive.

There's a Vineyard church in Cincinnati that was founded on this principle.  It began with 37 people.  Its current membership exceeds 6,000.  One Christmas Eve night, a large group from this church canvassed the community, seeking out persons who had to work on Christmas Eve night.  They went into waffle shops, played the jukebox and danced.  They invited those eating alone on Christmas Eve to join them in dancing.  They basically had a party!

Late last Christmas Eve night, I stopped on the way home at my neighborhood convenience store.  In the back of the store are these "slot machines" that people play.  That convenience store was packed with lonely people playing their slot machines late at night on Christmas Eve; people all alone with nothing better to do than pull levers or push some buttons on these machines.  It was the saddest thing I'd seen.

This year on Christmas Eve, I'm stopping again at this store, only I'm bringing with me two dozen Crispy Cream donuts to give to these lonely folks and the clerk that is working.  I just want them to know that God loves them.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook