Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View AN answer to Onegod1
8 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2009 - 6:59PM #1
Theo

Onegod1"

I know I'm probably beginning to sound like a recording that's repeating itself here, but it's so INSULTING and OBNOXIOUS and OFFENSIVE for trinitarians to FORCE three gods on me!

Perhaps it goes both ways. But no matter if you're Trinitarian or Oneness, any debate should flow from a sincere heart of love for your fellow man and fellow believer.

The word "trinity" isn't even in the Scriptures!

No contest – Oneness isn't in the Bible either, for that matter the word “Bible” is not in the Bible.

NOWHERE in the Scriptures is the phrase "God the Father...God the Son...God the Holy Ghost" EVER FOUND! Take a look! Just writing or saying that phrase states a belief in three gods!

“God the Father” is found throughout the New Testament, as is the phrase, “the Son of God.” Moreover in Hebrew 1:12 God says, To the Son He says, “Your throne O God is forever and ever.” And in addition John 1:1 says that the Word was God, and in Vs 14 that the Word became flesh, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

As for the Holy Spirit, we believe the Holy Spirit is God, because the Bible says that God is Holy and that “God is Spirit.” And we believe the Holy Spirit is separate in Person from the Father and the Son, because Jesus said that the Holy Spirit proceeds from God the Father, and because Jesus poured out the “Promise of the Father,” i.e. the “gift of the Holy Spirit” on the Church on the day of Pentecost. He who lies to the Holy Spirit lies to God – St. Peter.

Thus we call the Persons of God, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. But we do not believe in three gods, but in one God in three Persons. We believe They are separate as to their Persons, but one in essence, They are united in Godhead – the Divine substance or nature.

Mormons believe in three separate gods – Trinitarians do not. Oddly enough, when Mormons take issue with the doctrine of the Trinity, they always argue against Modalism. But we are neither Modalists nor Tritheists, we are Trinitarians... those who believe in three Persons united in Godhead.

I know this is overly simplistic here, but the Spirit (as God, He was holy, i.e. - the Holy Spirit) took on flesh and came to earth as the Lord Jesus Christ, and now He indwells the believer and His church with His presence. What's so hard?

But when we read our Bible, it says that God the Father sent the Son. Jesus said that He shared glory with the Father before the world existed. He said that He proceeded forth and came from God. He called God His Father, and His God, and He prayed to our Father in heaven. Thus Christians do not believe Jesus was the Father in a Body – as St. John said, “For this cause the Son of God was manifested, to destroy the works of the devil.” It was not the Father who was manifested in the flesh – it was the Son – God manifested in the flesh.

Can you please tell me what an "eternal generation" is?

Yes I can... God is eternal, and the Son is OF the Father. Thus, in as much as the Son is OF God, our eternal Father, He is eternal too.

This phrase is most often associated with Nicene Creed, but it is a vague translation of the original Greek text of the Creed, which literally translates as “begotten before time.”

Thus Trinitarians believe that time is a created thing, and that Jesus was “begotten” of the Father before time... thus His generation is eternal = before time began.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook