Switch to Forum Live View Women speaking in church
5 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2009 - 2:33PM #1
mawga

I am new to the Missionary Baptist faith and would like to know if it is improper for woman to speak, not preach, during conference? Could someone please tell me where I might find this in the bible or tell me if this is improper.

Thank you and God bless you
Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 3:06PM #2
Roodog

Nov 18, 2009 -- 2:33PM, mawga wrote:

I am new to the Missionary Baptist faith and would like to know if it is improper for woman to speak, not preach, during conference? Could someone please tell me where I might find this in the bible or tell me if this is improper.

Thank you and God bless you
Shirley

There was a command for woman to be silent in church.

This was meant to hush down interruption of the service.

Present application of this command differs.

Once the Catholic Church had boys in the choir instead of women because the Pope thought that women ought to be silent.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 3:56PM #3
Bevo

The scripture in question is not prescriptive, rather it is descriptive.  It is descriptive of a certain group of women at the Corinth church who couldn't keep their mouths shut during worship and disturbed the entire asembly.  Paul was not prescribing that all women be silent in all churches for all time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2009 - 10:25AM #4
Roodog

Paul also commanded that women have their heads covered while praying and prophesying. Regulation always imply consent, these women could pray and prophesy aloud, but with an attitude of submission(Men, likewise, should have a submissive spirit in Church.) We have women in our choir, they give announcements during service, they read the Bible lessons to the congregation,and occasionally the pastor will ask one to teach during the sermon. Please notice that they always have the pastor's permission to perform these actions. The pastor is ultimately responsible for the conduct of the service. 

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 9:00PM #5
klm

post # 3    Can you tell me where in the Bible it mentions a group of women who couldn

t keep quiet.    That passage interest me. thanks... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2010 - 10:48PM #6
davelaw40

actually both passages apply to wives who interupt their husbands not women in general

the word gune tranlated women is actually translated wives in most other passages

the passages in question are:

1Co 14:34  Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
 1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
 1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 05, 2010 - 8:03PM #7
klm

Apr 11, 2010 -- 10:48PM, davelaw40 wrote:

actually both passages apply to wives who interupt their husbands not women in general

the word gune tranlated women is actually translated wives in most other passages

the passages in question are:

1Co 14:34  Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
 1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
 1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence

you say that it applys to women who interrupt their husbands.  Where does it say this inthe bible.  I'm not challenging you I just need to know because of my own church bible class and I want to present new ideas

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 14, 2010 - 1:03AM #8
davelaw40

in the original Greek: Gune is translated wife

there is broader word that means husband; the word aner hear means husband

anthropos is the word for men in general

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing