Switch to Forum Live View Veterans' Day/Remembrance Day question
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 7:52PM #1
mecdukebec
Did it matter what the DoC, the Nat'l Council, and the World Council said concerning the Iraq War?  Will anyone care, say 20 years out, when we are asked whether the church said anything?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 8:09PM #2
Peter_d_roman

what is the DoC view / offical position on americas current wars?

peace and good and tons o'lov

>o

Nov 11, 2009 -- 7:52PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Did it matter what the DoC, the Nat'l Council, and the World Council said concerning the Iraq War?  Will anyone care, say 20 years out, when we are asked whether the church said anything?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 8:55PM #3
Vanessa86

Good question. I find myself generally occupied with church at a more local level, rather than thinking about what's happening on the national level. So I have to confess: I don't know the nuances of the position, and I am unlikely to look back on it in 20 years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2009 - 10:45AM #4
Campbellite

While the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the US and Canada* does not have an "official position" on the war, nevertheless, we are an historic "Peace Church" and are so designated by the Draft Board. That is, Disciples may apply for CO status based solely upon their membership in our church. This has been officially recognised since 1935. In that regard we are in the good company of the Quakers and the Mennonites.

The Disciples Peace Fellowship, founded in 1935, is the oldest peace organization of any denomination. Our peace tradition goes back to Alexander Campbell (and others) who decried war as the ultimate breach of Christian unity. Bro Alex was opposed to slavery, but refused to take sides in the Civil War because the act of brothers taking up arms against brothers was intolerable.

Even so, our polity of personal freedom and responsibility means that even though we are a peace church, individual Disciples may, and have, served honorably in our nation's military. One Disciple preacher was a general in the Civil War, and later he was elected President of the United States (James A. Garfield).  Another Disciple Civil War general, Lew Wallace (CSA) wrote the novel Ben Hur. Yet another Disciple, Gen. William Westmoreland was one of the commanding officers for the war in Vietnam.

Before the outbreak of hostilities in 2003, our DPF issued this statement against the clamor for war.

*Please note: we are a bi-national church.

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2009 - 11:42AM #5
mecdukebec
Inasmuch as I believe that the Wingnuts who boosted for the Iraq war will be denying they were ever for it, in about another 10 years, I wonder if our church's concern will be seen as ephemeral, and feckless. 

Back in the days before GA, when the DPF resolution was being discussed, a poster commented on the resolution's invocation of J. W. McGarvey's statement as "hurtful."

I am pretty confident that the poster thought that Bro. J. W. McGarvey was an Iraqi war protester, without a clue who Bro. McGarvey really was.

It's that kind of a lack of historical memory in people of faith that worries me. 

Still.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook