Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
9 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 1:56PM #1
gilg

Last friday we took my niece to the school Holloween festival, kids and some parents wore customs and it was mostly a fun night, many games and shows for the kids, the food was decent, prices not too high, and the money went to a good cause (science camp and money for field trips)..

This is an elementary school and some of the little girls, it seemed to me, were dressed like little prostitutes (some  moms were too), I didn't say anything, perhaps, I thought, maybe I'm just old fashion but I do know I wouldn't let my kids dress that way. Then I read this article and thought, perhaps I am not alone thinking some moms are nuts:

www.momlogic.com/2009/10/halloween_is_a_...

So: do others think that perhaps we have some nutty moms out there or is it that some of us are simply out of touch with what is cool and acceptable?

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 5:08PM #2
jane2

Nov 2, 2009 -- 1:56PM, gilg wrote:

Last friday we took my niece to the school Holloween festival, kids and some parents wore customs and it was mostly a fun night, many games and shows for the kids, the food was decent, prices not too high, and the money went to a good cause (science camp and money for field trips)..

This is an elementary school and some of the little girls, it seemed to me, were dressed like little prostitutes (some  moms were too), I didn't say anything, perhaps, I thought, maybe I'm just old fashion but I do know I wouldn't let my kids dress that way. Then I read this article and thought, perhaps I am not alone thinking some moms are nuts:

So: do others think that perhaps we have some nutty moms out there or is it that some of us are simply out of touch with what is cool and acceptable?

Childhood doesn't last forever; let them be children. Some of this is the kids fashion designers.  For sometime now stores at every level have had some lines that border on nasty. Junior departments for young teens can be scary. Some of the younger moms have been wearing this stuff with no sense of what's appropriate. Letting a little girl dress like a tramp makes no sense. I think maybe it isn't just halloween: although that brings it to a higher level.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 5:34PM #3
WaveringCC

Nov 2, 2009 -- 5:08PM, jane2 wrote:

Nov 2, 2009 -- 1:56PM, gilg wrote:

Childhood doesn't last forever; let them be children. Some of this is the kids fashion designers.  For sometime now stores at every level have had some lines that border on nasty. Junior departments for young teens can be scary. Some of the younger moms have been wearing this stuff with no sense of what's appropriate. Letting a little girl dress like a tramp makes no sense. I think maybe it isn't just halloween: although that brings it to a higher level.

The trend towards sexualizing childhood is very disturbing, at least it is to me.  For some crazies, it starts when they're babies.  Cable TV had a show called something like "Toddlers and Tiaras" about the beauty contest circuit for kids. Some are literally infants in arms!  I watched a show one night, after seeing many ads.  The sensual dances and movements that these little girls are taught to perform before they're even in school are unbelievable. The hair, the make-up - the VALUES they are absorbing.  Awful.  These kids are being exploited, just as are others on "reality" TV, even if they're not being forced to act like strippers at the age of 5.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 9:48PM #4
gilg

Ladies,

Thank you for the response, I feel more at ease knowing it is not just me being old fashioned and becoming like my parents.

Childhood doesn't last forever; let them be children. …”

I agree.It seems that robbing kids of their childhood is one of the worst mistakes/sins parents can do.

The trend towards sexualizing childhood is very disturbing, at least it is to me.  For some crazies, it starts when they're babies.  Cable TV had a show called something like "Toddlers and Tiaras" about the beauty contest circuit for kids...

These kids are being exploited, just as are others on "reality" TV, even if they're not being forced to act like strippers at the age of 5.

It must be an interesting mind that would put their kids through the demands of  these Dog and Pony Shows, when will the kids have time to just be children?  I think you are right about the exploitation, something weird is going on and it is beyond my comprehension.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 1:17AM #5
jane2

When our youngest daughter was 5 we enrolled her in ballet classes in Leavenworth KS. at her request.

Her teacher taught only ballet: she was from Alsace-Lorraine (sp?) Mon dieu was a favorite responce. She loved her students. To teach them the grande jete she called it run-run-leap for tiny children. When we moved to Atlanta we asked good friends about the best dance classes in our area.

This school of dance was a poor replacement. Our friends said we should put our daughter in pageants. We told our daughter we would if she wanted it--this is the  South.

In seventh grade she decided, after 3 yrs. en pointe--toe shoes she would rather do sports. She was an excellent ballerina. We were always glad she chose sports.

Recently her new company asked her to model for some of their ads. Go youngest daughter!! She is a size 0 to two, with long blonde hair and her mom's smile. She also works for a third of what she made two years ago. We rejoice in the good!!

I detest the exploitationof children. If our daughter had wanted to do pageants we would never have let her "tart herself up". She always knew that.

Just some observations from a transported Yankee.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2009 - 2:19PM #6
HappyMomof5

Gilg if your old fashioned then so are my sons. They won't even think of dating a girl that dresses the way most of them do. They often say that if the girls don't have enough respect for themselves then why would they respect me. Also they think the same think every one else does. What  is she putting out? And how many has she put out for? It really irritates them when they can't even sit in Mass without it in their face. Whale tails and such. Both older boys right now have found respectable girls not Catholic but respectable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2009 - 3:06PM #7
gilg

HappyMomof5,

I guess in many areas I am old fashioned, I do recognize as CS Lewis wrote (I think it was Mere Christianity) that female fashions change but I too have found some dress distracting.

Both older boys right now have found respectable girls not Catholic but respectable.

My brother married a non-Catholic, I think God meant them for each other, she is a wonderful girl.  I wish your sons find a similar partner.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2009 - 7:54PM #8
Tmarie64
I almost had a stroke when my 11 year old and her friends showed me their "costumes"...  "Gangsta hookers".  I told my daughter... "You will NOT EVER dress as a hooker as long as you are living in MY house.  If you do I will break my foot off in your a$$ at the knee!!!"  She wore the Batman costume she asked me to buy 2 weeks before.

The other girls' mom was furious, but I told her... "I will NOT let my daughter dress up like a whore.  PERIOD!  What the hell are YOU thinking?!?  Letting your kids dress up like hookers?????  Have you LOST your mind!"

Needless to say, we are not talking.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2009 - 12:16AM #9
gilg

LOL! 

You are most direct, Tmarie; you don't leave any doubt as to what you mean. While this may offend some freinds, it is a most desirable parenting skill. Too many parents are wishy-washy and that only confuses the kids. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2009 - 8:05AM #10
HappyMomof5

Tmarie that would have been my response, keep it up. You'll find that as she comes to you with can I go here or do this. You will find yourself saying no. It got to the point with us that the parents of the other kids would say well does  ( me ) say? Most of the parents didn't want their kids mad at them so they gave in. When they saw that I didn't care, that I thought of my kids safety and well being first they started to make us the scape goat as the reason why. Now our adult children totally understand and have thanked us. They even jump in when the younger ones want to do something we don't think they should. The middle child has said to the two older ones but you're suppose to be on my side.  The response to that is not when Mom and Dad are right. So as I said keep it up you will reap the fruits of standing your ground as will your daughter.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook