Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Your Congregation's Liturgy
5 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2009 - 6:34PM #1
Bevo

"Does your liturgy include a Confession of sin, and a promise of forgiveness?"

Our Communion liturgy typically does.  However, I Corinthians 11.27-29 has been wrongly interpreted as requiring a confession of sin prior to coming to the Lord's Table.  Rather, it is a call to discern your relationship within the body (or church).  Paul's argument in the preceding verses is that some members were getting drunk at the Supper, while others ate all the food and left no food for the poor.  For this, they were bringing judgment on the body. These were the sins to which Paul was referring, and they were sins against the body (the church).

It took me a while to fully accept this interpretation, but Gordon Fee's Commentary on I Corinthians convinced me.  There is no biblical requirement for a confession of sin prior to coming to the Lord's Table.  But it's never a bad idea to wash your hands prior to coming to the table.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2009 - 9:53PM #2
Bevo

We're not much of a liturgical church.   The early service is more traditional and typically includes a reciting of the creeds.  The later service is more contemporary and non-liturgical. 

I honestly believe that, while I love the ancient creeds of the Church, in postmodern times, they do not effectively speak to this generation.  Postmodernism is not so much interested in the "boundaries" of belief.  Rather, postmodernism is more concerned with a means of drawing closer to Christ, regardless of beliefs held.  Consequently, in my opinion, the Church would do well by placing less emphasis in their ordered worship in the reciting of creeds, but rather, using these creeds as a means of moving persons, wherever they may be in their journey of faith, ever closer to the center, which is Christ.

"I believe...." turns off far too many postmodern folks.  However, "I believe..." can be a powerful means of folks being drawn to Christ, not so much as a profession of faith, but rather as a profession of what the Christian faith is all about.

Do you see the difference?  We're not here to be a "boundary church" where a person is only accepted to the extent they only first concur with all of our beliefs.  But on the other hand, our core beliefs become the means of drawing folks into a closer and more intimate relationship with Christ.

Our Articles of Religion and Confession of Faith are NOT boundary markers!  Rather, they are only our church's means of expressing what our church believes and our means of expressing what our faith is all about.  These doctrines are not meant to serve as a means of deciding "who is in and who is out."  Rather, these doctrines are meant as a means of receiving folks, wherever they are, and drawing them ever closer to the center, which is Christ.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 4:58PM #3
Corgi

Receiving folks where they are?!  LOL!  Since when?!  You don't receive glbt folks where we are.  You don't receive us at all. 

What hypocrisy!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 7:48PM #4
Bevo

I am unaware of any Methodist church prayer altars being close to any person.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 11:21PM #5
Corgi

The United Methodist Church is not open in any way to glbt people.  And is proud of this fact.  Why try to pretend it isn't true?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 10:23AM #6
Bevo

Not so.  You are confusing the words "persons" and "behavior."  We are open to all persons.  We are not open to all behaviors.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 12:43AM #7
Corgi

But some people have to lie about who they are to be accepted in the United Methodist Church.  Jesus never required people to hide who they are.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 11:10AM #8
Bevo

The UMC (and Jesus) does not condone sinful behavior.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 3:58PM #9
Corgi

The United Methodist Church condones, has even codified, hatred. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 4:06PM #10
Bevo

Once again, our position on homosexuality (or any other sin) is predicated on behavior, not persons.  You are lying in making these type of alegations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook