Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Average age of membership
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2009 - 5:26AM #1
Getrtg

I just heard from a reputable source that the average age of UCC membership is 70. Is that possible? If so, are we not facing a troubled future?

Randy

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 9:30AM #2
Jupiter6208

Sounds like it! time to get the young people in

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 12:32PM #3
mecdukebec
It might be about that; it could be, as well, younger (quite younger), too, in the African-American, Hispanic churches, in addition to congregations that have joined and with a large GLBT ministry, that have affiliated with the UCC, as well as new church starts.  It's something to be concerned about, most definitely, but it's not just limited to the UCC, but all mainline churches.

www.netsquared.org/blog/alexsteed/united...

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 7:21PM #4
Bevo

"Turn out the lights, the party's over...."

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2009 - 5:52PM #5
mecdukebec

Oct 7, 2009 -- 6:18PM, Kevinponeill wrote:

I highly doubt those figures, unless it is referring to official membership records, and not attendance.  Sunday school should significantly drop the average.

The UMC does not count pre-confirmation members in membership figures.  The median age of confirmed members in the UMC is 58.

At our UCC Association this Fall Meeting, we welcomed two new churches into the Conference (by affiliation), and two new church-starts.  The UCC continues. 

Kevin, I don't know how much you know about Bishop Will Willimon (UMC) of the North Alabama Conference, but he states the same thing about the UMC's average age. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2009 - 7:43PM #6
mecdukebec

Oct 8, 2009 -- 7:17PM, Kevinponeill wrote:

Oct 8, 2009 -- 5:52PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Oct 7, 2009 -- 6:18PM, Kevinponeill wrote:

I highly doubt those figures, unless it is referring to official membership records, and not attendance.  Sunday school should significantly drop the average.

The UMC does not count pre-confirmation members in membership figures.  The median age of confirmed members in the UMC is 58.

At our UCC Association this Fall Meeting, we welcomed two new churches into the Conference (by affiliation), and two new church-starts.  The UCC continues. 

Kevin, I don't know how much you know about Bishop Will Willimon (UMC) of the North Alabama Conference, but he states the same thing about the UMC's average age. 

Here is a UMC source that states that the average age in the UMC is 57: www.umc.org/site/apps/nlnet/content3.asp...

William James believed that the Church of Christians Science would over take the Mainline Churches due to their growth rates.  It didn't happen.  

I believe that many of the new "Bible" denominations are reactionary, with no theological depth. 

I wouldn't bet against us!

I thank God that the first congregation I pastored in the UCC, twenty years ago, this May, was a fine, old E and R church of the merger, and 200-years old.  An intergenerational congregation, with as much a large number of young families as older members.  That that church is still thriving, and living today, in effective ministry does give me courage for the future of the UCC. 

At the World Parliament of Religions in Chicago in the early 20th-century, a variety of mainline Protestant denominations bragged that they were 'the future': That future, as you note, did not arrive.  That said, the kilometre wide and centimetre-deep theology of "Bible" churches has to have some need for thoughtful, educated, pastoral ministers, and that's where I see the Protestant mainline fitting in. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2009 - 10:18AM #7
Jupiter6208

Oct 7, 2009 -- 7:21PM, Bevo wrote:

"Turn out the lights, the party's over...."

LOL YOU WISH!

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2009 - 6:39PM #8
Bevo

Real men don't post using smiley faces.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2009 - 10:32PM #9
mecdukebec

Oct 7, 2009 -- 9:30AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Sounds like it! time to get the young people in

I am traveling, and the UCC congregation I plan to worship in this Sunday, judging by their webpage, shows quite a large children's ministry, and it seems to be a fine, old church with a large grouping of choirs, family ministry, and increasing attendance, plus an ONA ministry.  It will be interesting to see how things turn out, and I'll let you know.  Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 8:19PM #10
mecdukebec

Oct 16, 2009 -- 5:33PM, Kevinponeill wrote:

Great!  Let us know about your worship experience.

Both UCC congregations there are thriving; in fact, there's First Cong'l in the centre of the downtown, then there's St John's at the end of the downtown, and both are engaged in vital ministry, have a table fellowship meal every Wed'y, and a wonderful music ministry, plus quite gifted preachers.  First is also ONA and is thriving.  Good stuff.  Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook