Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Using the Book of Common Prayer
8 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 2:04AM #1
Jeremy15

Dear All,

This is my first post here. I must admit that this is a great Methodist forum as there are few such forums on the Net. I have always admired the Book of Common Prayer used in Anglican liturgies, though my church used the United Methodist Hymnal for all services.

I would like to ask if the Book of Common Prayer is compatible with the Methodist faith. I know that the various services contained in the Hymnal were derived by John Wesley from the Book of Common Prayer itself. Hence, there shouldn't be much differences. The 'thorn' of the issue is that I believe that that the Book of Common Prayer contains prayers for various Saints, which are no longer part of the Methodist rites. I suppose that I may just skip over whatever irrelevant parts in the Book of Common Prayer, but there remains a gnawing fear that using this book would dilute my Methodist beliefs and possibly lead me astray.

This 'fear' is further compounded by the fact that the Book of Common Prayer which I am contemplating to use is the 1928 version, which leans in an Anglo-Catholic direction. I intend to use the book just for my daily devotion (the Order of Service for Morning & Evening prayer).  

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2009 - 1:32PM #2
Jupiter6208

Sep 16, 2009 -- 2:04AM, Jeremy15 wrote:

Dear All,

This is my first post here. I must admit that this is a great Methodist forum as there are few such forums on the Net. I have always admired the Book of Common Prayer used in Anglican liturgies, though my church used the United Methodist Hymnal for all services.

I would like to ask if the Book of Common Prayer is compatible with the Methodist faith. I know that the various services contained in the Hymnal were derived by John Wesley from the Book of Common Prayer itself. Hence, there shouldn't be much differences. The 'thorn' of the issue is that I believe that that the Book of Common Prayer contains prayers for various Saints, which are no longer part of the Methodist rites. I suppose that I may just skip over whatever irrelevant parts in the Book of Common Prayer, but there remains a gnawing fear that using this book would dilute my Methodist beliefs and possibly lead me astray.

This 'fear' is further compounded by the fact that the Book of Common Prayer which I am contemplating to use is the 1928 version, which leans in an Anglo-Catholic direction. I intend to use the book just for my daily devotion (the Order of Service for Morning & Evening prayer).  

You may want to ask the Anglican/Episcopal boards they are very friendly and would be happy to answer your questions   as far as leading you astray  only you can make that decision not a book 

Christ's Peace.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2009 - 4:30PM #3
Beautiful_Dreamer

www.missionstclare.com/english/index.htm...

Above is a link to the Daily Office, various prayers taken from the Book of Common Prayer.  Feel free to look through and see if anything here is in conflict with Methodist teaching...I doubt you'd find anything but it's always good to analyze for yourself!

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2009 - 6:53PM #4
Wildjoy

Greetings and salutations! I am formerly a UMC pastor, now a member of the Epsicopal Church. One of the draws for me was the BCP - the prayers are beautiful expressions of devotion, and the liturgy really spoke to me and drew me in. Of course, the Wesley brothers were all Anglican priests themselves, and and always considered themselves Anglican. The Methodists became a separate denomination after the American Revolution, when John Wesley, out of a pastoral concern for the new American Methodists, ordained Asbury and Coke to go to minister to them and give them the sacraments, since Anglican priests were very few and far between in the States at that point.

You will, of course, have to make up your own mind about whether this is "orthodox" for you. You might also enjoy the UMC's Book of Worship, the Methodist version of the BCP. It is more geared toward public worship services, but there are many prayers and devotional forms within it, many taken from the BCP, which you may find helpful. There are also many prayers from the BCP contained in the UMC Hymnal.

I agree with what was posted before, the Episcopal board has a lot of friendly folk who would love to converse more with you. Come on over and visit sometime!

Grace and peace and blessed be,

wildjoy

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2009 - 9:44PM #5
Wildjoy

When I joined the Episcopal Church I had to give up my orders in the UMC. I am not ordained as an Episcopal priest. I'm not familiar with the Episcopalian polity, but I know the liturgy is much more set than in the UMC. A priest doesn't have much leeway. For instance, our congregation uses the Iona Affirmation of Faith during the fall, but we do so with the permission of the Bishop. There are portions of the service where some variations can be added (for instance, at the beginning of the school year our priest does a "Blessing of the Backpacks" where the children come forward with their backpacks or lunchboxes or whatever and she does a lovely prayer for the coming year), but the basic outline is set. I'm sorry I can't give a better answer. I'm still new and have so much to learn!

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2009 - 11:58AM #6
Wildjoy

Iona Affirmation of Faith

We believe in God above us,

Maker and Sustainer of all life,

of sun and moon,

of water and earth,

of male and female.

We believe in God beside us,

Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh,

born of a woman, a servant of the poor,

tortured and nailed to a tree.

A man of sorrows, he died forsaken.

He descended into the earth

to the place of death.

On the third day he rose from the tomb.

He ascended into heaven

to be everywhere present,

and his kingdom will come on earth.

We believe in God within us,

the Holy Spirit of Pentecostal fire,

Life-Giving breath of the Church,

Spirit of healing and forgievness,

Source of resurrection and eternal life. Amen.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2011 - 11:32PM #7
Jimmyjam

I am a Methodist and use the Book of Common Prayer 1928 version daily for Devotions and prayer.I find the daily readings helpful in the lectionary for my deotions and bible reading. I journal on what the Lord speaks to me about dail when using it is a great resource.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook