Switch to Forum Live View when attending mass....
5 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2009 - 10:17AM #1
Beckablueyez

Hello and peace to you all..

I am a memeber of an ecumenial nondenomenational church which encourages christain unity and in that ecumenial spirit I often explore /read about study various denomenations/faith paths ands lately I have been learning more about catholocism and would like to start attending mass.

Now years ago  had a friend who was dating a catholic and we went to mass a few times but it's been a while and I am a bit "rusty" so I wanted to ask what is the proper way for a fellow christian but non-catholic to worship at mass in particular in regards to things such as communion?

also should I choose to stay in my current faith would I still be a welcome  frequent vistitor if I wanted to also enjoy mass with my cathoilic brothers and sisters?

Thanks

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2009 - 10:29AM #2
Tmarie64

It is not appropriate for you to receive communion.  But you are more than welcome to attend mass.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2009 - 10:38AM #3
Douglas_macneill

Catholics restrict communion to only their own.

On the other hand:  Anglicans, also known as Episcopalians, have "open communion".  As my own parish priest says, "All baptized Christians are welcome to receive Holy Communion with us today at the Lord's table.  If you prefer not to receive Communion, you can indicate that by bringing a book in your hand, and we'll pray a prayer of belssing for you instead."

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2009 - 6:15AM #4
HappyMomof5

Because we believe in that the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ no you can't receive. I would suggest that you look into RCIA classes. If you take them you don't have to convert. All the questions that you have will be answered there. Go enjoy Mass. Unfortunately as with all denominations we have those that will look down their nose at you. Ignore them, look to the ones that will help. The ones that smile sincerely and openly offer their hand, during the Sign of Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2009 - 9:30PM #5
angpuppy

Aug 31, 2009 -- 10:17AM, Beckablueyez wrote:

Hello and peace to you all..

I am a memeber of an ecumenial nondenomenational church which encourages christain unity and in that ecumenial spirit I often explore /read about study various denomenations/faith paths ands lately I have been learning more about catholocism and would like to start attending mass.

Now years ago  had a friend who was dating a catholic and we went to mass a few times but it's been a while and I am a bit "rusty" so I wanted to ask what is the proper way for a fellow christian but non-catholic to worship at mass in particular in regards to things such as communion?

also should I choose to stay in my current faith would I still be a welcome  frequent vistitor if I wanted to also enjoy mass with my cathoilic brothers and sisters?

Thanks

You are free to be a visitor at Mass any time you like.  Communion is reserved for Catholics who have observed the 1 hour fast prior to receiving the Eucharist and who are in a state of grace.  So no you should not go up to receive communion, but you shouldn't be the only one sitting it out, and you may be able to find a Act of Spiritual Communion in the back of the missellette.  I don't know how many Catholics even bother to read the back of the missellette, but all the rules about reception of the Eucharist are on the back page and I believe the spiritual act of communion is there.  Its usually  prayer for Catholics, but if you're comfortable with it, I don't believe God would be offended if you prayed it at Communion time. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2009 - 10:32PM #6
Beggarforpeace

Hi Becka!

In regards to Holy Communion, like many others before me have said, only baptized Roman or Eastern Catholics are permitted to receive Communion. However, this most certainly does not limit you from taking part in the celebration. You may either remain and pray in your pew, or if you feel comofortable enough to, you are more than welcome to come forward with everyone else but instead of extending your arms to receive Communion, cross them over your chest in the shape of an X and the priest, deacon, or Communion minister will give you a blessing. This is done in my parish regularly by not only those who are not Catholic, but by Catholics alike who have commited a mortal sin and have not yet been to confession.

I wish you all the best Becka in your spiritual journey. May the peace of the Lord be with you!

BFP

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2009 - 6:06PM #7
Justly

Sep 2, 2009 -- 6:15AM, HappyMomof5 wrote:

Because we believe in that the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ no you can't receive. I would suggest that you look into RCIA classes. If you take them you don't have to convert. All the questions that you have will be answered there. Go enjoy Mass. Unfortunately as with all denominations we have those that will look down their nose at you. Ignore them, look to the ones that will help. The ones that smile sincerely and openly offer their hand, during the Sign of Peace.

Reminded me of some ladies recently who when I extended my hand in peace, they did not reciprocate.  I just thought they didn't want my germs!  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2009 - 6:23PM #8
Justly

Aug 31, 2009 -- 10:38AM, Douglas_macneill wrote:

Catholics restrict communion to only their own.

On the other hand:  Anglicans, also known as Episcopalians, have "open communion".  As my own parish priest says, "All baptized Christians are welcome to receive Holy Communion with us today at the Lord's table.  If you prefer not to receive Communion, you can indicate that by bringing a book in your hand, and we'll pray a prayer of belssing for you instead."

I understand the RC view about not receiving unworthily.  But there is a prayer just before where worshipers say "Lord I am not worthy but only say the word and I shall be healed".  So I like the way TEC does it.  In the end never did understand why we keep Christians who feel called, away from Christ.  Jesus @ the Last Supper served Peter who denied Him and Judas who betrayed Him.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2009 - 7:42PM #9
angpuppy

Sep 12, 2009 -- 6:23PM, Justly wrote:

I understand the RC view about not receiving unworthily.  But there is a prayer just before where worshipers say "Lord I am not worthy but only say the word and I shall be healed".  So I like the way TEC does it.  In the end never did understand why we keep Christians who feel called, away from Christ.  Jesus @ the Last Supper served Peter who denied Him and Judas who betrayed Him.

Judas left the last supper before the Institution of the Eucharist, and Peter's sin came after the last supper.  His sin wasn't premeditated like Judas' was.

We need to look to St. Paul's advice for receiving Communion as well as the traditions of the early Christians.  We also need to be aware that while we are striving to recognize that non-Catholic Christians are our brothers and sisters, we are not going to far as to claim that they are in communion with us.  We should be careful not to deny the tenants of our Catholic faith in order to fain Christian unity.  It is not to kick people out and say "You're not good enough."  It is rather not to permit a lie to be spoken through our actions.  

We do still hold that the fullness of truth is within the Catholic Church.  Catholicism is not a type of Christian spirituality.  It is not about spiritual expression preferences.  Catholicism IS the Church Christ instituted.  While we should act in charity toward our separated brethern who have been validly baptized and thus are members of the Church, we should not go as far as to pretend and act in a manner that denies that they are separated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2009 - 1:01AM #10
Justly

Sep 14, 2009 -- 7:42PM, angpuppy wrote:

Judas left the last supper before the Institution of the Eucharist, and Peter's sin came after the last supper.  His sin wasn't premeditated like Judas' was.

We need to look to St. Paul's advice for receiving Communion as well as the traditions of the early Christians.  We also need to be aware that while we are striving to recognize that non-Catholic Christians are our brothers and sisters, we are not going to far as to claim that they are in communion with us.  We should be careful not to deny the tenants of our Catholic faith in order to fain Christian unity.  It is not to kick people out and say "You're not good enough."  It is rather not to permit a lie to be spoken through our actions.  

We do still hold that the fullness of truth is within the Catholic Church.  Catholicism is not a type of Christian spirituality.  It is not about spiritual expression preferences.  Catholicism IS the Church Christ instituted.  While we should act in charity toward our separated brethern who have been validly baptized and thus are members of the Church, we should not go as far as to pretend and act in a manner that denies that they are separated.

Forgive me for having the sequence wrong.  In my Bible in Luke 22:17-19 Jesus was serving the bread and wine.  And then afterwards in verse 21 He says the one who betrays him is here at the table.  But it just proves I can learn something everyday.  I admit I am not as versed as many.  From my Bible I just always assumed Judas was present.  I could wonder how the sins of leaders in the Church Christ instituted make them judge and jury now as to who they should be serving the Eucharist to but that is another story.  Peace.  

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook