Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View So, what are we looking for here?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2009 - 9:32AM #1
Pensive

Well, it seems like this board has ground to a halt.  There are only one maybe two posts a week here lately.  I have tried starting some discussions but they tend to wind down quickly.  I therefore ask this question:  What is it you are looking for here in the Cafe?  What subject or discussion would really get you coming back here?  I realize we all have different ideas and interest, but it seems like most must not get addressed do the lack of postings.  Come on folks, lets hear what you want to talk about!  I'm up to having a good discussion on most any Catholic-related subject, but I got to know what it is first.  Lets challenge each other, least our brains begin to atrophise and we become Scientologist! Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2009 - 3:11PM #2
Mysty101

Hi Pensive,

Maybe we're discussed out Smile

I know I came to this side of the boards looking for postings that go along with Catholic teaching, not personal interpretation, or the way someone would like things to be.

I understood Catholic bashing, and personal interpretation belong in the debate area.  I am done with being insulted and called a puppet or uncompassionate because I follow Catholic teaching. 

I guess it is difficult , since there is nothing to discuss, if we all think the same.

God bless your efforts, and blessings to your wife.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2009 - 3:50PM #3
Pensive

Aug 21, 2009 -- 3:11PM, Mysty101 wrote:

Hi Pensive,

Maybe we're discussed out

I know I came to this side of the boards looking for postings that go along with Catholic teaching, not personal interpretation, or the way someone would like things to be.

I understood Catholic bashing, and personal interpretation belong in the debate area.  I am done with being insulted and called a puppet or uncompassionate because I follow Catholic teaching. 

I guess it is difficult , since there is nothing to discuss, if we all think the same.

God bless your efforts, and blessings to your wife.

SuZ

Hi Misty.

Well, I have never seen a Catholic be "debated out!" Tongue out

I am not sure I understand why you believe this forum was intended only for strictly Catholic teaching and devoid of any personal interpretation.  Maybe this is something I missed?  I do not understand how one could even be Catholic and not have a personal view.  However nobody should be ridiculed or bashed because they hold a strict view of Catholic teaching.  In the same token, one should not be ridiculed for not holding a strict interpretation of Catholicism.  As for me, I love the diversity of the Church and all its different expressions of faith.  Just look at how different religious orders express their faith.  Franciscans, Carmelites and Agustinians are three religious orders with very different expressions of faith, yet all are Catholic.  The love of the Lord is what should hold us together not because we all express our religion identically, but despite our different expressions of faith. Anyway that is how I feel about the different views.  Peace to you and to your loved ones.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 8:06AM #4
Mysty101

Hi W,

I guess we alll see things differently, and I won't bother quoting what was posted to me when I related how I followed Catholic teaching in performing a Catholic ministry.

Peace to you.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 11:16AM #5
Thomas A Quinas

I do tend to empathize with Suz a little on this one.  When I first became practicing it was quite an experience.  I tended to gravitate towards those with an orthodox interpretation of the faith.  Though some of us (culturals vs orthos) disagreed on several issues we were respectful towards one another.  These forums tend to be different.  Not referring to Ave Maria Cafe, as stipulations specify no arguing (though tempers seem to flare here as well).   It was somewhat of a culture shock to find out that more Catholics than not don't subscribe to orthodox theology, especially as it pertains to core doctrine.  For me Catholic doctrine and dogma are a bedrock foundation to the faith.  Since I wasn't raised in a Church environment (even though I was baptised as an infant) the cultural aspect isn't yet as prevalent.

When the Pensivist (new wordTongue out) referred to different religious orders having different expressions, I didn't necessarily equate that with having differing views about the Immaculate Conception, the Real Presence, abortion, gay marriage, contraception, etc.  Not that those who maintain opposite views are necessarily evil; yet as a member I'd have difficulty with a hierarchy with such 'archaic' views (ie I wouldn't want to remain a member).

Sometimes these things are cyclical, Pens.  I remember the Catholic Issues board used to be frequented up until a few months ago.  That was right about when we received frequent lectures about Yeshua (our Savior Brother ;-) and his simplistic way of love.  I tend to glide around beliefnet a little, cause like you said the Catholic Forums are suffering from deadbeatidous (another new wordUndecided) as of late.  Even though I don't post too often.  The TECers had a recent discussion about Marian Apparitions endorsed by one of their priests.  There's also a Traditional Christian Forum (including Orthodox and Mainline Protestants).  The Discuss Seventh-Day Adventism Forum can get a little heated if you're into knock down, dragout, social networking toughguys (cause after all, who isn't).

Were you to ask me what specifically interests me, it kind of depends on what kind of mood I'm in, but I do like viewing pictures of the Marian gardens, antique statues, etc.  Solvency postpones me in updating my own rather scant collection; but my faith seems very strong so I get by.  I am somewhat concerned about the future of the Catholic Church.  With the current economic situation, could be only a matter of time before more and more parishes begin closing.  Sunday Mass attendance at my parish is rather abyssmal, but this is somewhat of a depressing topic.  Various ministries are struggling to make ends meet as well.

Anyway, hopefully things will pick up (in these discussion threads I mean).

Best Wishes,

Thomas

If we would completely rejoice the heart of God, let us strive in all things to conform ourselves to his divine will. Let us not only strive to conform ourselves, but also to unite ourselves to whatever dispositions God makes of us. -- Uniformity with God’s Will by Saint  Alphonsus Liguori
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 11:25AM #6
Thomas A Quinas

PS Suz, maybe we could create our own forum that would be for orthodox Catholicism (all five of us ;-)  The progressives have the Catholic Retreat House (also rarely used), no doubt because they were being hammered and bloodied by ortho-bullies (laughing as I'm typingLaughing).

Just a thought, though I'm happy to chit chat with my progressive bretheren (and sisteren, that I may be gender inclusiveInnocent)...

If we would completely rejoice the heart of God, let us strive in all things to conform ourselves to his divine will. Let us not only strive to conform ourselves, but also to unite ourselves to whatever dispositions God makes of us. -- Uniformity with God’s Will by Saint  Alphonsus Liguori
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 1:34PM #7
Mysty101

Hi,

It's hard to find a balance---we're all different.

My gripe is those who tell the Catholic Church which teachings should be kept, and which should go.  If a person doesn't wish to follow the teachings, that is their choice, but I can't understand bashing the Church for the teachings, or acting like it is a superior understanding which decides the teachings are wrong, and those who follow them are puppets.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 4:36PM #8
Pensive

Aug 22, 2009 -- 11:16AM, Thomas A Quinas wrote:

When the Pensivist (new word) referred to different religious orders having different expressions, I didn't necessarily equate that with having differing views about the Immaculate Conception, the Real Presence, abortion, gay marriage, contraception, etc.  Not that those who maintain opposite views are necessarily evil; yet as a member I'd have difficulty with a hierarchy with such 'archaic' views (ie I wouldn't want to remain a member).

"Pensivist" I guess you mean me? Tongue out

My pont in referring to the religious orders was not to say their core beliefs are identical, but rather their expression of faith can be quite different, yet all are still Catholic.

I do realize their are differences in acceptance of Catholic doctrine.  I do not automatically accept something the Church teaches just because "the Church has said it" but because I have looked at what is taught and why it is taught before endorsing it.  I also rely on my own conscience as well.  St Francis once said "If a superior give any order to one who is under him which is against that man's conscience, although he do not obey it yet he shall not be dismissed. "  This tends to be the attitude I take.  Even though I do not agree with everything the Church teaches (more like 90% of it) I have not stopped loving and supporting the Church.   I have never really looked at myself as being a conservative or liberal Catholic; just a Catholic trying to find the best in myself and in the world I live in.

Thanks for posting Thomas, I hope to see you about more often!  Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 5:49PM #9
jane2

Pensive

I liked your OP to this thread. Where it has gone is a little "iffy" for me.

Last night I posted a new thread on Benedict's brilliance as a theologian and author. He is brilliant and that appeals to me. I have belonged to the intellectual "wing" of the Church since I started (and finished) Catholic college. It's where I'm supposed to be. I started Cathlic college in 1955 and have seen many changes.

No one has bothered to read my OP--no one. I tried to open up a new topic.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 6:14PM #10
Thomas A Quinas

No one has bothered to read my OP--no one. I tried to open up a new topic.

There are 12 views of the thread, though perhaps maybe no one yet responded to the topic.  I very much appreciate the effort, though.  It has been awhile since I've read B XVI.  We're not all from the "intellectual" wing of the Church (or is it intellectual "wing" ;-)?  I enjoyed his first encyclical Deus Caritatis Es, which even included a passing reference to DesCartes (pseudonymous maybe?  Probably not, knowing his theory about animals not having souls and cruel dissection practices.  Current Catholic teaching leaves animals without intellect, and only mortal souls).

The only other writing I remember with any clarity was his writing about Eastern spiritual practices (when he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger) as Prefect for the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith (regarding Zen Buddism and other practices).

Don't take this the wrong way, Jane, but I think your reputation precedes you just a tadWink.  They see you posted a thread with the "Brilliant" Benedict XVI and think you're being a tad fecicious, given the recent Apostolic visitation with the LWCR.  Give em a little time and I'm sure they'll all flock to it!!

God bless,

Thomas

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook