Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View I Don't Want a Baptizing Ceremony
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 5:51PM #1
Tangled_web

I attend a Baptist church. I have never been baptized the traditional way by the church. a while ago, wrote a passage to God that stated that I was committing myself to him. I have never stood in front of the congregation at a church and announced my desire to be baptized. I consider myself Christian and saved. I am a very shy person, I don't like standing up in front of anyone. I don't want people staring at me. I don't want to be submerged in water and I don't want this ritualistic ceremony. I don't like ceremonies that much, I don't want clapping and singing, because that's not me. It's between me and God, why do all these people need to know or be there. This has nothing to do with them. I don't know how to explain to my mother this desire and the promise I made with God. So if I say I love God and accept him as my savior, that I and reborn...does it count? Every time someone brings up my non-baptism I question whether it's enough. I know it may not be recognized by the church, but is it recognized by God?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 8:59PM #2
Roodog

In The Baptist Church, Baptism is a public confession of faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ. You are telling all present that you have recieved Jesus as Lord and Savior.

I do not understand your reluctance to make it public but maybe you can request a private baptism with friends and family present.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 9:10PM #3
Sobernfree

yes it is a public statement to confess that you are a true Christian . Ask youre pastor for a private baptisim then have him fill out the baptisim letter  that you can take home To show youre family  he can also share that with youre family when it has been done .when john the baptist was baptising the people  Jesus him self was Baptised and it out of Obeidance that we do the same . dont be shy just reach out and ask God what he wants you to do . God Bless hang in there . You are doing the right thing .

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 9:27PM #4
Tangled_web

I'm really shy, I guess most "normal" people wouldn't understand. I still don't like ceremonies and I am going to work up the courage to talk to the pastor, who probably won't understand either. I'd still rather not have a ceremony. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 11:27PM #5
sincerly

Aug 16, 2009 -- 9:27PM, Tangled_web wrote:

I'm really shy, I guess most "normal" people wouldn't understand. I still don't like ceremonies and I am going to work up the courage to talk to the pastor, who probably won't understand either. I'd still rather not have a ceremony. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

Tangled,

As has been said, "Baptism is an outward expression of an inward commitment." A witnessing for Jesus.  Our Savior was hung on a cross ---naked---for your sins and mine(All the world's).  Witnessing is a public act. Titus.3:5 calls Baptism the "washings of regeneration and the renewing of the Holy Spirit". John 3:3,5 Jesus to Nicodemus, said, "Ye must be born again of the water and the Spirit." 

Jesus will be your strength if by faith you place your foot in the water, Don't let "shyness" be translated into "Ashamed", . Mark 8:38(Luke 9:26) has a bad out-come for one who is "ashamed of Jesus".

The "Faithful servant is a productive worker for the Master as well."

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 11:40PM #6
Roodog

Some people have issues with large crowds, my mom did.

You might request a Private baptism or you can go to very small church and have it done with friends and family present. It took me twelve years to take that step and I regret having waited so long.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2009 - 4:02PM #7
Tangled_web

I'm going to have to work at talking to the pastor, I can't even do that.

I  don't want people to treat me differently or expect me to act a certain way because I have been baptized. I don't want people to see me do something and then tell me how to act because I have been baptized. This is the changed me, I am not at the stage that I want to be at -- I am a work in progress The things others may want me to change, aren't the things I want to change about myself. I am Christian, but I am not their Christian. 

After this ceremony, I am not going to jump up and say hallelujah. I won't respond the way hey want me to, so the less people there, the better. I don't want to stand in front of an audience and have my reaction, myself analyzed or questioned.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2009 - 4:05PM #8
Tangled_web

Aug 16, 2009 -- 11:40PM, Roodog wrote:

You might request a Private baptism or you can go to very small church and have it done with friends and family present. It took me twelve years to take that step and I regret having waited so long.

The church that I go to is pretty small and they're all touchy feely. I'm not the kind of person that goes around hugging people I'm not related to. I just need a pastor there, at least, right? I can parade around with my documentation later. Do you think they would understand if I didn't want to be dipped in the water? Can't they just sprinkled some water on me?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2009 - 9:26PM #9
sincerly

Aug 17, 2009 -- 4:05PM, Tangled_web wrote:

The church that I go to is pretty small and they're all touchy feely. I'm not the kind of person that goes around hugging people I'm not related to. I just need a pastor there, at least, right? I can parade around with my documentation later. Do you think they would understand if I didn't want to be dipped in the water? Can't they just sprinkled some water on me?

Tangled web,  Sounds to me that you want to make the decisions and rules rather than submit to GOD's will/WAY. In the end, it is only GOD'S WILL which counts.  GOD doesn't compromise HIS principles and neither should we go counter to HIS Principles.

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 17, 2009 - 10:09PM #10
Roodog

Aug 17, 2009 -- 4:05PM, Tangled_web wrote:

Tangled,

Baptists don't spinkle, We DUNK, none of that sprinkling business. If you want sprinkling, go to the Presbyterian Church. They'll dry clean you.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook