Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View I Don't Want a Baptizing Ceremony
4 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2010 - 9:48PM #21
davelaw40

Jul 20, 2010 -- 6:45PM, Tangled_web wrote:

Jul 8, 2010 -- 1:37PM, davelaw40 wrote:

your whole eternity rests on your saving faith in Jesus Christ not on public baptism-believer's baptism is the first step of growth in a believer's spiritual life-but not doing does NOT keep you out of Heaven

I would strongly recommend personal Christian counseling before you get Baptized-you have way too much stress

Yeah, I am soooooo confused. Maybe I misunderstood what the pastor told me, but that was the understanding I got.

I am generally, naturally, anxious. I have social anxiety, it's beyond the typical childhood anxiety the the lucky grow out of. I've never talked to a doctor or anyone in my family about it. Most of the people that know are online and very few no me personally.

thats is the position of some groups like the Churches of Christ

but the Baptist position is that Baptism is a response to your salvation; Not part of it

It is the first step in obediance after salvation; but is Not a pre-requisite for Heaven

and Baptism can be done with only two people-see Acts-the story of Philip and the Ethiopian

so maybe you could arrange to baptized with no one else present

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2010 - 6:21PM #22
Tangled_web

Jul 20, 2010 -- 9:48PM, davelaw40 wrote:

Jul 20, 2010 -- 6:45PM, Tangled_web wrote:

Jul 8, 2010 -- 1:37PM, davelaw40 wrote:

your whole eternity rests on your saving faith in Jesus Christ not on public baptism-believer's baptism is the first step of growth in a believer's spiritual life-but not doing does NOT keep you out of Heaven

I would strongly recommend personal Christian counseling before you get Baptized-you have way too much stress

Yeah, I am soooooo confused. Maybe I misunderstood what the pastor told me, but that was the understanding I got.

I am generally, naturally, anxious. I have social anxiety, it's beyond the typical childhood anxiety the the lucky grow out of. I've never talked to a doctor or anyone in my family about it. Most of the people that know are online and very few no me personally.

thats is the position of some groups like the Churches of Christ

but the Baptist position is that Baptism is a response to your salvation; Not part of it

It is the first step in obediance after salvation; but is Not a pre-requisite for Heaven

and Baptism can be done with only two people-see Acts-the story of Philip and the Ethiopian

so maybe you could arrange to baptized with no one else present

I go to a Baptist church....

I posted in another forum whether it was right to want a baptism out of fear and not faith. What do you think? I guess is depends on the church, if they teach baptism is required to enter Heaven, since that is where I think some of my fear is coming from.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2010 - 6:57PM #23
davelaw40

Baptism should be from faith and Not fear; but if they are teaching baptism is required for salvation-they have abandoned the Baptist way

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 8:55PM #24
Stephenway

Since this thread started over a year ago, this may not mean much to tangle-web, but perhaps someone may consider it.

Yes, Baptism should be a public profession, and no, Baptists don't teach that it is required for salvation (the lesson of the thief on the cross, "This day thou shalt be with me in Paradise.")  But though the Baptism is important, there are people with serious psychological reservations.  This sort of situation should be dealt with by someone more professional (certainly not me).  But Jesus taught that the spirit may be willing, yet the flesh weak.  If my humble opinion is worth anything, I would suggest that anyone who encounters a similar situation accept the fact of salvation by faith "alone" (even without baptism) and pray for God's guidance and perhaps talk to only the dearest most trusted spiritual counselor in private.  Such a public forum can prove disheartening for a tender soul.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook