Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Bsihop Mark Lawrence against the tide
8 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 10:25PM #1
Tombrisson

www.kendallharmon.net/t19/index.php/t19/...4779/#more

"...one by one, the Holy Scriptures, the teachings of the Church, the Anglican Communion, the Ecumenical relationships with the other bodies of the Church Catholic, and now even our own Book of Common Prayer and Constitutions & Canons are subjugated to this “new” gospel. It is a foreign vine like kudzu draping the old growth forest of Episcopalianism with decorative destruction."

Plus:

"I believe we ought to sign on to the Ridley Draft of the Covenant as it presently stands in all four sections. (If it means we need to withdraw from a lawsuit we withdraw from a lawsuit). Therefore we need to begin the process of studying the Ridley Draft in every deanery and parish and be prepared to vote on it either in the special convention in October or, if that’s too ambitious a time frame, no later than our Annual Diocesan Convention in March 2010."

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 8:12PM #2
Roodog

Tom,

There's an article on the Christian Post www.christianpost.com  (July 24,2009) in which it reports the Bishop of Dallas refusing to comply with the measures passed in last month's GC. I wonder what TEC is going to do with refractory clergy who won't comply with their new policies.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 11:21PM #3
Tombrisson

What can they do? Kick 'em out? Wouldn't that be a hoot... so much for inclusivity.

This from The Anglican Curmudgeon:

,,, Here is what I suggest for orthodox dioceses still within ECUSA: let the ECUSA bureaucracy, and let General Convention, go their merry way. Apply the Peter Principleto what they have done, and are doing, and allow them to rise to the level of their own incompetence. They are so incompetent that they cannot touch you, if you keep in mind the simple truths noted above. ECUSA is a voluntary association, with no authority over its member dioceses. It is, I repeat, powerless to order a diocese as such to do anything. The Emperor, in other words, has no clothes, and it is high time for everyone to recognize that fact.

If deposition is threatened, it has to be (under Title IV as now revised) for "abandonment of The Episcopal Church" (emphasis added). Refer to truth statement #1 above: the Episcopal Church (USA) is not a church, and as such it cannot be abandoned by any diocese remaining orthodox, and which refuses to withdraw. ECUSA maintains that dioceses cannot withdraw, anyway. So call their bluff: "You say we cannot withdraw, and so we are not withdrawing. So how can we be said to be 'abandoning' the Episcopal Church? We're not abandoning it; we're staying."

Isn't that marvelous to contemplate? By acquiescing in their asserted power to keep you in, you turn that power against them. If taken to an extreme, I suppose General Convention might have to vote to disaffiliate from you, and not the other way around. And would not that be the height of irony? Imagine the headlines: "ECUSA Votes to Kick Out Diocese; Warns Others Against Leaving."

Sounds like what Bishop Lawrence might be planning.

Read more here...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 11:49PM #4
Roodog

Refuse to leave TEC yet refuse to comply with the new policies? What could TEC do about that?

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 12:41PM #5
Tombrisson

Not much, apparently.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 2:51PM #6
Roodog

In my Church, the shoe is on the other foot. The liberals will neither leave nor obey the denominational stands. It's a royal pain (you know where!) We'll see how much TEC will put up with.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 9:53PM #7
Tombrisson

Aug 16, 2009 -- 2:51PM, Roodog wrote:

In my Church, the shoe is on the other foot. The liberals will neither leave nor obey the denominational stands. It's a royal pain (you know where!) We'll see how much TEC will put up with.

They've made such a point of being a "big tent" that it would be the worst hypocrisy to put up with a John Spong only to try to kick out a Mark Lawrence.

A heresy trial in the Episcopal Church? Hard to know what the boundaries would be in a church that doesn't seem to have any.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 10:19PM #8
Thomas A Quinas

Aug 16, 2009 -- 9:53PM, Tombrisson wrote:

A heresy trial in the Episcopal Church? Hard to know what the boundaries would be in a church that doesn't seem to have any.

I've got to give em a little credit.  They booted the zenmasters and the Muslim priestesses ;-)

Holiness consists simply in doing God's will, and being just what God wants us to be.. -- St. Therese of Lisieux. For applicable reads: Uniformity with God’s Will by Saint Alphonsus Liguori ... or ... Story of a Soul
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 10:24PM #9
Roodog

Aug 16, 2009 -- 9:53PM, Tombrisson wrote:

Aug 16, 2009 -- 2:51PM, Roodog wrote:

They've made such a point of being a "big tent" that it would be the worst hypocrisy to put up with a John Spong only to try to kick out a Mark Lawrence.

You know as a Baptist I would have to refer you to the Bible: 2Tim. 4:1-4 and the entire Letter of Jude.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 10:47PM #10
Tombrisson

That's right! And I don't need to go to church to get my ears tickled.  The Gospel is for real humans with real lives, not diletttantes who like to debate religion at wine and cheese parties.

This week, my wife was in a serious car accident; she could easily have died. The next day, we learned everyone where I work will be sent off soon on a week's unpaid furlough to save the company some money.

If I didn't have my faith, I would not have had any hope in this situation.  If not for my personal (not private) Lord, where would I be?

No, thanks, "Bishop."  Sell you BS somplace else.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook