Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
8 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 12:34PM #1
Tombrisson

I ran across a Web site on CS Lewis some time ago that made several allegations about his personal life, but the main beef seemed to be that he smoked, drank, met his friends in a pub and frequented confession to an Anglican priest.

The information was posted by a very conservative minister from another denomination who's point seemed to be that Lewis should not be held in such high regard by evangelicals -- despite being one of the most effective apologists for Christian faith in the 20th century.

For me, the site had the opposite effect -- the more I read, the more I liked Lewis for his faith and his humanity.

Smoking, drinking, pub AND church... sounds British to me. Nothing wrong with that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 1:25PM #2
RJMcElwain

Aug 12, 2009 -- 12:34PM, Tombrisson wrote:

..........................Smoking, drinking, pub AND church... sounds British to me. Nothing wrong with that.

Smoking, drinking, Pub?  How very Anglican of him.Smile Sounds like most of my Anglican friends.Cool

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 1:51PM #3
Roodog

He wasn't PC, was he?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 6:54PM #4
Tombrisson

PC? No, he wasn't.

Lewis was influenced by GK Chesterton, who claimed to say grace before lighting his cigar, just to rib the puritans.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 8:49PM #5
Roodog

I had just gotten Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" and "Heresy" They are considered classics even among Protestants.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 9:16PM #6
RJMcElwain

Aug 12, 2009 -- 6:54PM, Tombrisson wrote:

PC? No, he wasn't.

Lewis was influenced by GK Chesterton, who claimed to say grace before lighting his cigar, just to rib the puritans.

Now that's my kind of Christian. Cool

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 10:38PM #7
Tombrisson

Aug 12, 2009 -- 9:16PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

PC? No, he wasn't.

Now that's my kind of Christian. Cool

This is Chesterton on God's mirth (from Orthodxy):

"Joy, which was the small publicity of the pagan, is the gigantic secret of the Christian. And as I close this chaotic volume I open again the strange small book from which all Christianity came; and I am again haunted by a kind of confirmation.

"The tremendous figure which fills the Gospels towers in this respect, as in every other, above all the thinkers who ever thought themselves tall. His pathos was natural, almost casual.

"The Stoics, ancient and modern, were proud of concealing their tears. He never concealed His tears; He showed them plainly on His open face at any daily sight, such as the far sight of His native city. Yet He concealed something.

"Solemn supermen and imperial diplomatists are proud of restraining their anger. He never restrained His anger. He flung furniture down the front steps of the Temple, and asked men how they expected to escape the damnation of Hell. Yet He restrained something.

"I say it with reverence; there was in that shattering personality a thread that must be called shyness. There was something that He hid from all men when He went up a mountain to pray.

"There was something that He covered constantly by abrupt silence or impetuous isolation. There was some one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth; and I have sometimes fancied that it was His mirth."

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2009 - 10:30PM #8
Tombrisson

A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. 

Lewis said this about Chesterton and the latter's effect on Lewis and his conversion. Chesterton also influenced Gandhi and Michael Collins, the father of the modern Irish state.

Not bad for a huge British journalist with "old-fashioned" ideas about God and a reputation for absent-mindedness.

(There has actually been talk at the Vatican about canonizing Chesterton -- no one would find that as outragiously funny as GK himself.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2009 - 4:32PM #9
calebevans218

Aug 12, 2009 -- 9:16PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

PC? No, he wasn't.

Now that's my kind of Christian.

Indeed. ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 10:36PM #10
Brobrooz1

Aug 12, 2009 -- 12:34PM, Tombrisson wrote:

I ran across a Web site on CS Lewis some time ago that made several allegations about his personal life, but the main beef seemed to be that he smoked, drank, met his friends in a pub and frequented confession to an Anglican priest.

The information was posted by a very conservative minister from another denomination who's point seemed to be that Lewis should not be held in such high regard by evangelicals -- despite being one of the most effective apologists for Christian faith in the 20th century.

For me, the site had the opposite effect -- the more I read, the more I liked Lewis for his faith and his humanity.

Smoking, drinking, pub AND church... sounds British to me. Nothing wrong with that.

Seems that Jesus was accused of the same type of thing by his religious contemporaries...

What ? these conservative ministers think that all the great Bible scholars , church fathers, reformers, etc-were tea totalers?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook