Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Thoughts on the Trinity
8 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2009 - 8:55PM #21
1SonofGod

It has been stated in the Bible that God's ways are not our ways and that there are mysteries that God will choose to reveal to mankind. I would like to suggest that you not ask humans about the trinity, but God. It is clearly stated that God will reveal to you what you will ask of Him. I had trouble with understanding who God is, but I ask for godly wisdom.  I understand God like any human: 1)spirit 2) flesh 3) soul (feelings, conscience, mind) all is in one but not all is SEEN in the natural. I use the properties of water: 1) liquid 2) solid 3) gas.

Or the properties of the sun: 1)light (HOLY SPIRIT, felt everywhere but not contained) 2) heat (GOD, felt and can leave and be transferred to anyone that is receptive) 3) mass (JESUS, has been physically seen by many and everything depends on Him)

John1:1-3, 14 has been quoted, but to give clarity replace "Word" with the Savior's name.

In the beginning was JESUS, and JESUS was with God, and JESUS was God. The same was in the beginning with God. {refering to Gensis 1:26 "US" "OUR"} All things were made by him, and without him was not anything made that was made." And JESUS was made flesh, and dwelt among us (humans), full of grace and truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2009 - 4:52PM #22
sincerly

Dec 11, 2009 -- 8:55PM, 1SonofGod wrote:

John1:1-3, 14 has been quoted, but to give clarity replace "Word" with the Savior's name.

In the beginning was JESUS, and JESUS was with God, and JESUS was God. The same was in the beginning with God. {refering to Gensis 1:26 "US" "OUR"} All things were made by him, and without him was not anything made that was made." And JESUS was made flesh, and dwelt among us (humans), full of grace and truth. 

Just as an aside and about Jesus, Paul, who received his information from Jesus (Gal.1:11-12) Said in 1 Cor.10:4 that it was Jesus who was the Rock who "followed" the Israelites. (for forty years------and at Sinai.

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2009 - 8:38PM #23
Roodog

Nov 22, 2009 -- 4:37PM, sincerly wrote:

Oct 30, 2009 -- 6:36PM, Bevo wrote:

I certainly to do not deny the triune God.  All I am saying is this passage of Scripture from Genesis does not refer to the triune God.

Satan disputed GOD and Eve believed the lie-------Faith in HIS WORD(Scripture and SON) is the key to eternal life.

Satan disputed God's Authority. The poster just questions an interpretation, a world of difference,Sincerely.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 10:45PM #24
Stephenway

Man has an earthly, fleshly body, a spiritual body, and a mind which does his thinking independently and interconnected with his fleshly and spiritual bodies.  Scientists do not all (some do) recognize the spirit of man as a separate entity.  Yet most scientists recognize that the mind can work with the fleshly body, against the fleshly body, or independently of the fleshly body.  So many agree that there are three distinct parts to the human being, each being representative of the human individually, and all being one person.

In the Hebrew, any one god of any of the many nations was referred to as elowah (singular for god).  Any time more than one god of any nation or nations was referred to, the term was elohiym (plural for god, gods).  The Hebrews recognized ONE GOD, but they never referred to Him as Elowah (God), but as Elohiym (Gods).  Literally, they were saying, "There is ONE GODS (as it were- singular-plural)."

In the beginning was the Word; the Word was with God; the Word was God; and the Word became flesh and dwelt among men.  Jesus, the Word who was in the beginning both with God and was God, is also referred to as the Lamb who was slain from the foundation of the world (in the beginning).  So from the foundation of the world, God knew the world would become in need of a propitiation for sin and prepared a part of Himself, His own Son who was in the beginning both with God and was God, to become flesh and dwell among men so that those who believed on His name could become the children of God.

The Word was Jesus; Jesus was the Word in the beginning both with God and was God.  Even when Jesus was twelve years old in the temple, He knew who His Father was, and knew He must be about His Father's business.  When Jesus was baptized by John, we find three representations of God, all separate and all together at one time: the Father's voice from Heaven, the Spirit descending in the form of a dove, and the Word become flesh in the form of Jesus.  Jesus said, "I and My Father are ONE."  This is the Word who is both with God and is God.  Jesus is God; and Jesus prayed always to the Father.  Why would He pray to Himself?

When Stephen was stoned, the Holy Spirit was known to be working both with and among Christians while Stephen saw the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God.  The ‘Son of man’ phrase was used in prophecy to refer to the coming Messiah and Jesus referred to Himself as the Son of Man.  Paul refers to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit individually, and yet recognizes the three to be equal and one.  Hebrews 1:1-3 tells us that God in these last days has spoken to us by His Son, who sat down on the right hand of Majesty.  Hebrews 10:12 says, "… this Man (Jesus) … sat down on the right hand of God."  See also Hebrews 8:1 and 12:2.  If all Christians can be thought of as "one in the Spirit" and "one body", why is it so difficult to see Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three persons who are ONE GODS?

C. S. Lewis, a former atheist who became a famous theologian in the Church of England, found a rather apt way of expressing the concept of the Trinity for non-theologians.  He admits that God's ways are above man's, and incomprehensible to man without the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit.  Therefore, he recognizes that this explanation is very simplistic and not a purely accurate description.  A triangle has three sides.  If we can think of one side as the Father, another as the Son, and the third as the Holy Spirit, then perhaps we can see that the three sides of the triangle make up one triangle, so do the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit make up ONE GODS. (plural but  one).  This, of course, is not perfectly accurate because one side of a triangle by itself is not called a triangle, but one side of the Trinity by Himself is God.  Another way C. S. Lewis suggested to think of it is in three dimensions.  A book, table, or lamp has three dimensions: depth, height, and width.  Of course man cannot see in this life how many dimensions there may be in God's complete world.

Consider this: Suppose I had just finished a large dinner, except dessert.  I think I ate too much and my stomach feels tight.  Then the host presents a large, beautiful, luscious slice of German Chocolate cake.  My eyes (part of my fleshly, earthly body) sees the cake and sends a signal to my brain (another part of my fleshly body).  My brain analyses the cake but in our thinking processes, does it not appear that something goes beyond the physicality of this life?  Our brain can consider logically, but at the same time we can dream, hope, wish, think illogically and call illogic humor.  Our physical bodies can process physical realities, but we have a mind which makes decisions about this physical reality.  My mind tells me that this cake looks really good, but I am full, if I eat this, I will likely become uncomfortably stuffed, and I really don’t need the extra calories, but at the same time, if I decline, I may offend the host.  At this point I can divide myself into two distinct parts: a physical me and a mental me, yet I am one me.

Then something else is involved.  I see the cake, and it looks so good, and I want it.  Call it that ‘zest’ for life, or some people refer to zest as spirit.  Whatever it’s called, it still seems to be another part of me.  But I may try to rationalize that one piece of cake won’t be that bad.  So I could enjoy it and worry about suffering the discomfort a little later.  I’ve been uncomfortable before, and though it’s not fun, I can still endure it.  After all, who could pass up enjoying that luscious piece of cake?

So back to the physical part of myself.  Do my hands rush to pick up the fork and tantalize my taste buds?  Does my physical self bow to the part of me that wants to go for the ‘zest’, or ‘gusto’?  Or does my physical self listen to the analytical part that says I would be uncomfortable taking in far too many calories?  But my physical self makes no decision but simply bows to the winner of the two distinct parts of me inside of me.

With one part of me being physical, and two distinct parts of me being inside of me, is it not clear that there appears to be three individual me’s that make up the one me?  I have not the capacity to analyze God and I certainly cannot say that this explains the Trinity.  But does it not make it easier to consider the concept.

Bear in mind, not one of the three parts of me are perfect.  To say that the three of me makes a unified person does not say that it makes me complete or without faults.  My physical body could be struggling with any number of disabilities that would make it less than perfect.  My analytical reasoning is certainly marred by my own perspectives as affected by my own experiences, not to mention the balance of chemistry in my brain.  And my ‘zest’, ‘gusto’, or ‘spirit’, even though I may be saved, is not yet perfect and pulled by so many influences in this world.  Yet with a perfect Father, a perfect Savior (Son), and a perfect Holy Spirit, the One Gods (elohiym) works as One in perfect harmony and unity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 2:19PM #25
Creedofcrusades

So long as we remember that we worship the Trinity I think it's ok to use whatever devices needed. The metaphores arent always dead on but then again it is something theologins have grappled with for 2000 years.

In the end worship of the Trinity ties me to Chrisatians through time and space. And that is enough for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook