Page 1 of 24  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Happened to Civilized Society?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 2:08PM #1
slu_magoo

So I'm perusing the CNN site a few minutes ago and came across a disturbing video of folks pushing, shoving, screaming, and chanting.  (See video at politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/07...).  

Unbelievable.  It was supposed to be a town hall meeting where the Congresswoman could explain her position on health care and answer questions.  These nutjobs in the audience wouldn't let her talk.  They came for one purpose: to shout her down.  This is going on all over the country.  It happened to my own Congressman a couple a days ago at a town hall meeting in Little Rock.

What happened to civil discourse?

This is, imo, the result of people listening to fruitcakes rant and rave on the radio for the last decade.  It's the result of fake news and blogs and so forth that tell people ignorance is a good thing, and being 'damn mad' is a good thing.  This has been boiling for some time, and it need not be said what the natural progression of this anger will result in next.

We're seeing this same thing in our church and on this board, where some people have no hesitation in dehumanizing others.  You have a handful of nutjobs in society and in the church agitating and deliberately trying to provoke a reaction (in the case of society, a violent one I fear) among followers.  And like a bunch of mindless robots, the masses eat it up and do exactly what they're being programmed to do.

It's sad to see it all. 

It is possible to disagree without resorting to this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 2:32PM #2
RJMcElwain

What you saw proves that Carl Rove, or his acolytes, are still alive and well. Most likely, the shouting was prearranged by those who are still pi$$&d that Obama beat their old boy. And they're just rehearsing for 2012.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 2:39PM #3
lulu2

Society is not what it once was. More opinions are sold to the public , than facts. More people have a stake in the game, then ever before. We are dependant on others more than ever before. Globally as well .  We are over loaded by  people we see in the media as  power seekers rather than character builders. Society places values on whats important to them. I heard recently, that our government officials shouldnt be elected becuase of their values, but what they can do to for us. What that says to me is, men of ethics or principles, have little value in our society. And that maybe the only organization that still stresses values is the  Church. Once a society doubts its leaders or demands less of them, than a good character, and civility becomes a lost art.   

Demonization of those who dont believe in what we believe, is the biggest contributor

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 2:40PM #4
Douglas_macneill

What happened to civilized society?

An obsession with ideological purity along the lines of Robespierre during the French Revolution; here are some results of this:

• Partisan politicking.
  • An attempt to mix absolutes with the political process (which ends up poisoning both).
  • A belief that compromise is tantamount to dishonor at best and treason at worst.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 3:13PM #5
GRobit625

Slu, this is exactly why I have to refrain from religious boards and news outlets at times. The anger and immediate sadness that follows behind seeing these people's actions overwhelms me. I can only take so much. However, I find peace being with my family as well as worshiping Christ with our parish. Oh and that comment about southerners, I was born and raised in the great state of Georgia so I can relate with you there as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 3:15PM #6
SeraphimR

We're seeing this same thing in our church and on this board, where some people have no hesitation in dehumanizing others.  You have a handful of nutjobs in society and in the church agitating and deliberately trying to provoke a reaction (in the case of society, a violent one I fear) among followers.  And like a bunch of mindless robots, the masses eat it up and do exactly what they're being programmed to do.

You of course wouldn't dehumanize others by calling them mindless robots. Umm, nevermind.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 3:27PM #7
ToujoursDan

Right... Because criticising the way a group of people are acting in a given situation is dehumanizing.

Gotta love those false equivalencies.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 3:39PM #8
ToujoursDan

Slu:

It's hard to not believe some group isn't behind this and the other disruptions. When I see senior citizens with signs that say "Keep your government hands off my healthcare" I have to laugh in disgust. They are mostly on Medicare, aren't they? Is this really a case of "I've got mine, screw you" or is there more to it than that?

I gave a few of the things I thought were driving this on the other thread. Beyond that, there is a tribalism in American politics where winning is more important than looking for solutions to problems. I am not sure if the current healthcare plan is the best road to take (I favour single-payer), but something's wrong when they are shutting meetings down.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 3:55PM #9
Spokang

All these people lack are little brown uniforms. They don't want a discussion; they are a mob, there to disrupt and create anarchy. They are spurred on by people like Glenn Beck and those behind the so-called Tea Baggers.  Makes me sick at my stomach.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 4:22PM #10
GRobit625

I noticed instead of addressing the subject you were searching for fault in what the OP was writing. How about at least addressing the topic for once instead of your normal cheap jabs? Or is that all you have to offer?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 24  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook