Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do I have to be a member of the God army to walk on a path with Jesus?
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 12:41AM #11
Corgi

Homosexuality is a part of a person's innate personality.  It's more than a behavior.  And the behavior is an expression of love. 

The United Methodist Church should join the rest of us in the 21st Century.  Or, better yet, join Jesus in preaching love and mercy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 11:13AM #12
Bevo

Sin is a part of every person's inate personality.  The UMC wishes to see people freed from sin rather than held in bondage to sin.  Why celebrate bondage to sin?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 3:57PM #13
Corgi

Loving relationships are not sin.  Hatred is.  The United Methodist Church is in bondage to the sin of hatred. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 4:13PM #14
Bevo

Whatever...we choose to disagree.  Persons that engage in homosexual behavior (or any other pattern of sinful behavior) are in bondage to sin.  If you disagree, then you are perfectly free not to be a United Methodist.  But because you are not a United Methodist, you have no business telling us what we should or should not do.  Now, wander away back to your UCC web sight (where you'll find a couple of postings I made, just for you). 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2009 - 11:18PM #15
Corgi

You keep aiming your dishonest advertising campaigns at me.  As long as your advertising keeps showing up on my TV, I'm going to show up here and point out your hypocrisy and dishonesty.

Open hearts, open minds, open doors. 

Right.  And I'm the queen of England.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2009 - 6:42PM #16
1awakening

Aug 7, 2009 -- 1:35PM, Lisamc2009 wrote:

I was born and raised Methodist.....and then I started college and became super enlightened and decided there wasn't a God. OH, I suppose I looked for him alot of places.  I went to baptist churches, pentecostal, lutheran, catholic, etc. Turns out, the one place I forgot to look was my heart....lo and behold there He was.

Anyway, so I'm sort of new again to this walk with Jesus.  And quite frankly, I have no interest in hitting someone over the head and convincing them there is a God.  I came back to my relationship with God after much travel through life's journey and I found Him and I'm glad I did. Honestly, any prosthelityzing people tried only drove me further away.

Secondly, I have no interest in spending alot of money in keeping homosexuals from seeking out a secular contract that joins them as spouses. 

I have no interest in beating a woman over the head for consulting her doctor, her partner, her God and deciding to have an abortion. 

My husband, myself and my son are being baptized next weekend and I feel like its enough for me to work on myself and learn about God and be a good christian than to spend (waste) any time fighting with atheists over the existance of God or doing God's job of judging someone who is living a lifestyle different than my own.

Am I alone in this?

First let me say, praise God for you, your husband, and your son.

I too grew up in a methodist church and then my life took me on many journeys down a dark path. I am now back with the church that I grew up in, along with my fiance whom just got baptized a couple of weeks back, again thanks be to God. Let me say that one of the main reasons that I am back is because of these Christian Soldiers. They did not push God on me or preach to me when they saw me... they greeted me as a friend regardless of where I was in my life. They also prayed for my soul. This is why I see them as soldiers..they never gave up and although i did not offer myself to God they were praying for God to save me, and he did.

I do like your outlook on alot that you have mentioned..it is not up to us as Christians to argue Gods existence, or argue about the opinions of others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 2:56PM #17
Mysticwatcher

No you dont have to belong to Gods army as you put it to follow Jesus, in fact Jesus did not call Himself a Christian, Muslim or a Jew, His life was given totally to passing on Gods message to mankind, and proof of Gods power by Healing etc, As long as you treat others with Respect, Love and attempt to live in Harmony with all of Gods Creations you are to some extent following Jesus's path, but above accept that there is a God, even if others call Him something else. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 3:57PM #18
Zipporahx

I have been reading all the threads answering the first one.

I am a retired United Methodist Pastor and do not hate gays, my brother is one, and I voted not to appeal the gay marriage law, and I know many pastors who are gay!

I also know of many pastors and people who are trying to change the Disciplines view on homosexuality that says that the behavior of a homosexual is not compatible with the Scriptur.  It is the older folks that hang on to that.  Younger Christians are hearing Jesus's voice of not condemning even those who they think are sinners.

I just heard a wonderful sermon by a pastor who preached that Jesus never said a word on homosexuality, condemning it or favoring it, and the Old Testement was saying that homosexuality in that day, such as Sodam and Gommorah was sexual abuse, not loving caring relationships between two people that is abound today.

I hear so much about it, a lot of condemnation toward the homosexual, but not toward the Death Penalty.  If we are to truly live by the literal word of God than we must ,also ,not kill the unborn or a prisoner.  We should not choose which words of God we keep and not keep. 

I hear Jesus saying to love everyone, not to be judgemental, let God condemn or not, and to keep the Commandments.

I too grew up as a Methodist and then journeyed through other religions and faithx but came back to Methodism, why, because it was, for me, the closest to the teachings of Jesus.

The United Methodist will have to change, eventually, toward homosexuality if it is to continue to  be the Church of Jesus Christ and let God condemn or not condemn homosexuality. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 5:08PM #19
Bevo

No, Jesus never said anything about homosexuality, but he did have quite a bit to say about marriage, and what he had to say about it was always in the context of it being between one man and one woman.  However, the Apostle Paul had a few words to say about homosexual behavior, and in each case, he condemned such behavior.

You are also incorrect in declaring that in order for the Methodist church to appeal more to young people, it must abandon its teachings on homosexual behavior being incompatible with Christian teaching.  The most vibrant and growing Methodist churches are the ones that have stayed true to the orthodox Methodist expression of the faith.  Conversely, those Methodist churches that have strayed from the orthodox teachings of the church have experienced dramatic declines in their membership.  Secondly, in the context of the Church Universal, the same can also be said.

Lastly, 20 years ago, 70% of the Christian faith was located in the Northern hemisphere and 30% in the Southern hemisphere.  Today, the numbers are reversed.  The Church is in decline in the Northern hemisphere, and prospering in the Southern hemisphere.  Not coincidently, it is in Northern hemisphere churches which are making homosexual behavior compatible with Christian teachings that have been on a steep decline, with the reverse being true in Southern hemisphere churches.  The results speak for themselves.

All I can say is I am thankful you are retired.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 6:07PM #20
Zipporahx

I don't think a personal attack was necessary, and I don't intend to argue with you!I had my say and I stick by it.  The only thing I will say is that the only way that this question of homosexuality can be truly answered is to live the words of Jesus to love others as He has loved us.  Love is the center of the gospel message.  If we do not hear it and live it, we can not call ourselves "Christians", no matter what our thoughts are about homosexuality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook