Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do I have to be a member of the God army to walk on a path with Jesus?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 1:35PM #1
Lisamc2009

I was born and raised Methodist.....and then I started college and became super enlightened and decided there wasn't a God. OH, I suppose I looked for him alot of places.  I went to baptist churches, pentecostal, lutheran, catholic, etc. Turns out, the one place I forgot to look was my heart....lo and behold there He was.

Anyway, so I'm sort of new again to this walk with Jesus.  And quite frankly, I have no interest in hitting someone over the head and convincing them there is a God.  I came back to my relationship with God after much travel through life's journey and I found Him and I'm glad I did. Honestly, any prosthelityzing people tried only drove me further away.

Secondly, I have no interest in spending alot of money in keeping homosexuals from seeking out a secular contract that joins them as spouses. 

I have no interest in beating a woman over the head for consulting her doctor, her partner, her God and deciding to have an abortion. 

My husband, myself and my son are being baptized next weekend and I feel like its enough for me to work on myself and learn about God and be a good christian than to spend (waste) any time fighting with atheists over the existance of God or doing God's job of judging someone who is living a lifestyle different than my own.

Am I alone in this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 1:41PM #2
Lisamc2009

further....what brought me back to Christianity was being friends with a few people who....just lived their lives.  Were helpful to their fellow man, had integrity and most importantly peace and solace in dark times.  I wanted what they had.  What they had was God.  Their ministry was in just BEING Christian.  Not yelling about it. Not protesting about it. Not fighting about it. Not forcing it down someone's throat. Just BEING Christian.  Walking the walk. 

That's what I want to do.  I want to live a life that makes someone say "I want what she's got"...and then I would say "Well, here's how I got what I have" and begin my fellowship and testimony that way.

That's what I meant about not wanting to be in the God army.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2009 - 8:36AM #3
Cmurphy

I do care to much for the hymn "Onward Christian Soldiers" for the same reason!  I believe the image of Christians forcing the gospel is alien to the gospel.  We are to proclaim it and God does the rest.

I prefer the witness of living the life, and not the witnessing we have seen where people "tell" the gospel. I think the living witness is more effective, and perhaps harder.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2009 - 3:59AM #4
Bobiejay

It is difficult to live holy according to the word of God. We are human creatures trying to be like Christ living in a world of sin and carnality. But the bible says in Romans 12:1 that we are present our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service. Living the right life requires a sacrifice. We must be holy. This is holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord. Acts 2:38 gives instructions for what man must do in order to find the strength we need to live this holy life while we are here on earth. Repentence, baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. This is God's formula for survival in this world. Don't let any religion or anyone tell you that it is not necessary. God said it is and we must do it. Take it one step at a time and if the church you are in is not teaching directly from the scriptures, RUN and join a church that will teach God's truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2009 - 10:25PM #5
Beautiful_Dreamer

Aug 9, 2009 -- 8:36AM, Cmurphy wrote:

I do care to much for the hymn "Onward Christian Soldiers" for the same reason!  I believe the image of Christians forcing the gospel is alien to the gospel.  We are to proclaim it and God does the rest.

I prefer the witness of living the life, and not the witnessing we have seen where people "tell" the gospel. I think the living witness is more effective, and perhaps harder.

I agree. I was not raised a Christian at all, and it was the witness of those who spoke of Christ and *lived* what they spoke that touched me.  A lot of my values in terms of how to treat other people were along Christian lines, but once I got to know Christ, it was as though I was putting a name to something I had always 'known' was there, but couldn't identify.

And yes, the living witness is *much* harder! But, as you see, much more effective. We are all going to have our 'stumbling blocks', but I think the best thing would be to get involved with people/in a church who admit to their shortcomings and seek to support each other rather than pointing fingers. I've been around the latter types...ugh!

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2009 - 8:42PM #6
Corgi

Aug 7, 2009 -- 1:35PM, Lisamc2009 wrote:

Secondly, I have no interest in spending alot of money in keeping homosexuals from seeking out a secular contract that joins them as spouses.

Then, the United Methodist Church is the LAST place you want to be.  The United Methodist Church has a long and consistent history of openly hating gay and lesbian persons.  The United Methodist Church teaches that "homosexuality is incompatible with the Christian faith".  The UMC will not ordain gay persons, nor celebrate their marriages.  The United Methodist Church hates gay people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2009 - 10:59PM #7
Corgi

Aug 7, 2009 -- 3:52PM, Kevinponeill wrote:

In a recent advertisement from the Church it stressed the idea, that no matter where you are on life's journey you will find a home in the UMC; "our hearts, our minds, and our doors are open". 

Unless you're gay.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 7:51PM #8
Bevo

You know, if I tried posting such threads on the Episcopal sight, it would get me banned.  Once again, I am unaware of any Methodist church prayer altars being closed to any person.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 11:19PM #9
Corgi

"Homosexuality is incompatible with the Christian faith". 

That's a strange notion of openness. 

Look, just change your advertising slogan to something honest. Like "we pretend to be open, but really we hate gay people".  In some places, that would help your church grow. 

Or don't you think honesty is a virtue?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 3:43PM #10
Bevo

You got the quote wrong.  "Homosexual behavior is incompatible with Christian teaching."  Once again, we are open to all persons.  We are not open to all behaviors.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook