Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View PSYCHOLOGISTS & REPAIRATIVE THERAPY.
8 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:13PM #1
Dutch777

The American Psychological Association has just issued its most recent report of findings regarding "Repairative Therapy" and Gay people.  Comments and analyses are welcomed.

www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-22...

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:20PM #2
journeying

I love the advice given.  If you are gay and in a church which disapproves, either be celibate or change religions.  Precious few will ever change from homo to het.  In fact, trying to force change will probably have a negative impact on the subject.  It's about time this is studied officially but the antis will never accept the science.  They seem to need someone to feel superior to.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:27PM #3
Dutch777

Shel:

It took the dogmatists centuries to accept the heliocentric solar system.  Many still reject evolution.  The fastest way for a dogmatist to come to terms with Gayness is to find out one's daughter is a Lesbian or son is Gay.

Dick Cheney recently came out in favor of SSM.

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:39PM #4
Tombrisson

I thought reparative therapy was discredited years ago! What's the reason for the new push?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:58PM #5
Douglas_macneill

Here's a link to the full American Psychological Association report:

www.apa.org/pi/lgbc/publications/therape...

To make a long story short,  studies that have attempted to demonstrate the efficacy of changing a person's "sexual orientation"  involve reserach designs so flawed that they are unfit for publication, or definitions of sexual orientation so flawed that they are worthless.

As I was perparing this post, I just received word of a post by Tombrisson wondering why "reparative therapy" remains an issue when it was supposed to be scientifically discredited.

The reason for the new push?  Do you prefer conservative evangelicals or Fundamentalist Protestants?  This population gained a significant amount of power over policy during the years when W. was in the White House, no matter which term you use to describe them.  Some say that this is and was part of The Republican War on Science.  The book by Chris Mooney has already been published, and a documentary based on that book is due for release next year.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 12:56AM #6
kurnell

We recently had an article in one of Sydney's suburban newspapers extolling the benefit of this type of conversion therapy. Certain types of christians are just hanging onto it.It is a case of,'don't confuse me with the facts, I've made up my mind'

I agree with Dutch, it is only when you get to know gay people up close that you begin to question your anti gay ideas.That is what happened with me. Father to a lesbian daughter who I love very much

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 6:49PM #7
Douglas_macneill

Aug 6, 2009 -- 12:56AM, kurnell wrote:

We recently had an article in one of Sydney's suburban newspapers extolling the benefit of this type of conversion therapy. Certain types of christians are just hanging onto it.It is a case of,'don't confuse me with the facts, I've made up my mind'

I agree with Dutch, it is only when you get to know gay people up close that you begin to question your anti gay ideas.That is what happened with me. Father to a lesbian daughter who I love very much

Pax

Jeffrey

I can relate to that, although it's not about a relative of mine.

I work for the professors and students of the Department of Occupational Therapy at...a university somewhere in Western Canada.  One of the things I do on a yearly basis is participate with other persons with various experiences of unconventional sexuality in a yearly forum for the course offered by one of our professors there.  As part of that, I've participated in question and answer sessions alongside gays, transsexuals, people dealing  with their sexuality in the face of mulitple sclerosis, and more.  These encounters, more than any other factor, have done much to disarm my fear of people involved in non-conventional sexual relationships between consenting adults.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 7:58PM #8
hamerhas

A lot of people refuse to quit smoking

A lot of people refuse to grow up.

That there is a psychological basis for these things is hardly "news".

Psychologists established long ago the typical pattern that paves the way for a

homosexual lifestyle.

"Weak, or non- existant father", "overbearing dominant" mother, etc,etc,& etc.

This ain't brain surgery folks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 8:30PM #9
Roodog

One reason that this kind of therapy is being discredited is that homosexuality is no longer considered a mental disorder or illness by the Psychological association. So why to try to treat something that's no longer a disorder?

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 8:46PM #10
journeying

Aug 6, 2009 -- 7:58PM, hamerhas wrote:

Psychologists established long ago the typical pattern that paves the way for a homosexual lifestyle.

Just exactly what is a homosexual lifestyle?  This

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook