Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What are the best parts of your Methodist experience?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 9:44PM #1
Kevinponeill

What are the best parts of your experience worshipping and serving God with "the people called Methodist"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 2:34PM #2
Bevo

Being saved and filled with the Spirit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 9:22PM #3
Cmurphy

The hymns!!!  Sung with vigor!

The fellowship circles of UMM and UMW who you can count on for prayer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2009 - 3:31PM #4
Bevo

Oh, lest I forget, one of my greatest experiences in the Methodist church has been the church's consistent stand that homosexual behavior is incompatible with Christian teachings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 1:29AM #5
kurnell

Aug 4, 2009 -- 3:31PM, Bevo wrote:

Oh, lest I forget, one of my greatest experiences in the Methodist church has been the church's consistent stand that homosexual behavior is incompatible with Christian teachings.

Just like it supported slavery, racial inequality and female subjugation!

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 2:38AM #6
Roodog

Aug 5, 2009 -- 1:29AM, kurnell wrote:

Touche. And on his turf.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 5:08AM #7
Aeterna

Aug 5, 2009 -- 1:29AM, kurnell wrote:

The free methodists were against slavery

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 11:22AM #8
Bevo

Studies have consistently shown that African Americans find it highly offensive when homosexuality is compared to slavery or civil rights.  The two are simply not analogous.  Even the Supreme Court has ruled the 14th Amendment does not extend to rights of homosexuals (in the Texas sodomy case).

So, once again I rejoice that I belong to a church that has over the last 20+ years withstood protests and consistently held to the biblical teaching that homosexual behavior is incompatible with Christian teaching.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 6:57PM #9
Bevo

"The Bible clearly does not state that slavery is evil in either the Old Testament or the New Testament."

I suppose that then explains why the Jewish slaves were freed from Egypt.  I don't know what book you're reading from, but it ain't the Bible.

"The Bible alone cannot support women clergy or the idea that slavery is institutionally evil."

Yes it can, as I have already noted in previous threads.

Now, if you don't like what the Bible says, then so be it.  But making claims that the Bible prohibits women clergy or condones slavery is factually incorrect and wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:24PM #10
Bevo

Okay.  Ignore the clear teachings of Scripture.  No skin off my neck.

I'm only thnkful God did not first consult with you when he freed the Hebrew slaves.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook