Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Conforming to the World
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 12:36PM #1
Bevo

There's something wrong with being witty?  Jesus was as witty a person as there ever was.   You're not much fun, are you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 2:07PM #2
Cmurphy

Jesus' witty comments were teaching tools, not meant for entertainment, or to draw attention to his wit.  "The blind leading the blind, both falling into a pit" was a witty comment; but it was not meant to entertain the hearers.

God's gifts such as intelligence, sexuality, or wealth, can be used to glorify God, or to glorify the person using the gift.  I believe Wesley was making that point. 

The goal is love.  I try to ask myself if my words are loving, or meant to lead someone to the Truth because I love them.  I think other people can help us best determine how our humor is received.  If the goal is to be helpful then what matters is not our intention, but its result.

I think witty comments should be avoided unless the goal is clear.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 4:04PM #3
Bevo

Thanks for the chuckle--I can't help but laughing at what you just wrote.

A man and his wife were driving to Fort Lauderdale.  The man puts his hand on his wife's knee.  Wife says, "Honey, were married.  You can go further than that."  So they drove to Miami.

A man was arrested for shooting and killing a whooping crane.  Man went before the judge and the judge asks him, "What did you do with the whooping crane after you shot it?"  Man says, "I ate it."  Puzzled, the judge asks the man what whooping crane tastes like.  The man replied, "Tates a little like bald eagle."

You know what Davey Crockett said when he looked out over the wall from the Alamo?  "Must be pouring concrete today."

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 5:16PM #4
Bevo

You're killing me Kevin...you're killing me!  Please stop!  My sides are aching from laughing so hard!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 7:21PM #5
Bevo

Hey Kevin...I want to party with you! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 8:05PM #6
Cmurphy

I don't get it either.  I do not think it has anything to do with you, or what you said. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 10:20PM #7
Bevo

"Does anyone understand why my post is humorous?"

Only those with a sense of humor. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 9:30PM #8
Cmurphy

Christian disciplines such as Bible study, reading thoughtful comments from other Christian (ex: Beliefnet), weekly Sermons from my Pastor, and encouragement from my Church family, help me with my Christian priorities.  

Prayer helps me with my emotional bearings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2009 - 8:38AM #9
Cmurphy

Aug 4, 2009 -- 8:17PM, Kevinponeill wrote:

Aug 2, 2009 -- 9:30PM, Cmurphy wrote:

Christian disciplines such as Bible study, reading thoughtful comments from other Christian (ex: Beliefnet), weekly Sermons from my Pastor, and encouragement from my Church family, help me with my Christian priorities.  

Prayer helps me with my emotional bearings.

My congregation is beginning a small group study of Wesley's sermons.   We are thinking about a form of Wesley's "classes", where we would develop leaders who could mentor others as they study the sermon the mentor had studied.  This way the groups would be self replicating.

I hope this study creates the support and encouragement you seem to benefit from within your circle of Christian friends!

Let us know how it works out!  It sounds like a great idea.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2009 - 8:53AM #10
lulu2

I believe we should live life with the abandoment of a child. Love all who come into our lives, and laugh and bring joy to ourselves and others. One can be serious in His love of God, and still express our joy, in the bounty that was given us, by God.. the defining precept..to remember God in all things..especially when it comes to JOY and Heartfelt Laughter! 

Dont know if this was what your post about..but it was what I felt I needed to add to the conversationSmile  

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook