Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View The Reliability of the Gospels
8 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2009 - 10:14PM #11
Roodog

When I read the Bible, I just assume that God has something for me.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2009 - 12:21AM #12
kurnell

A valid point. We must come to the scriptures in the same Spirit that inspired them.

The Bible, as I see it, is the testimony of individuals to whom God revealed Himself, and the outworking of that revelation in their lives.As we read the scriptures,with the Holy Spirit's enabling,He comes to us, revealing His love and purposes.

This does not mean that we don't have to do the hard work of biblical interpretation,ie. examine genre, context, cultural influences etc.

But the underlying reality is, this book is in some way inspired by God, like no other book.As such, we should treat it with respect and a good dose of humility.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 12:43AM #13
Tombrisson

Aug 1, 2009 -- 12:21AM, kurnell wrote:

A valid point. We must come to the scriptures in the same Spirit that inspired them.

The Bible, as I see it, is the testimony of individuals to whom God revealed Himself, and the outworking of that revelation in their lives.As we read the scriptures,with the Holy Spirit's enabling,He comes to us, revealing His love and purposes.

This does not mean that we don't have to do the hard work of biblical interpretation,ie. examine genre, context, cultural influences etc.

But the underlying reality is, this book is in some way inspired by God, like no other book.As such, we should treat it with respect and a good dose of humility.

Cheers

Jeffrey

I'm with you, Jeffrey. I know mythical language when I read it and the Gospels just don't fit the genre. In fact, they sound mostly like eyewitness accounts, including many of the issues you would expect from eyewitness accounts.

We have four canonical Gospels with different emphasis, different views of similar events. I don't think the authors, who were under persecution for their faith, were interested in deceiving anyone.

They even shared the stories of their early leaders in all their humanity -- warts and all. When I read them the feeling I get is "here's what we received. Judge for yourself." 

This is quite different from reading Homer or Beowulf.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 2:02AM #14
kurnell

Thankyou for your thoughts.

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 7:35PM #15
Bob_Bennett

I think that a lot of insight into the credibility of the Gospels can be obtained by studying a book titled "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman.   He goes thru the historical roots in great detail.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 8:12PM #16
kurnell

Dec 3, 2009 -- 7:35PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

I think that a lot of insight into the credibility of the Gospels can be obtained by studying a book titled "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman.   He goes thru the historical roots in great detail.

Dear Bart no longer considers himself a Christian, so it is no surprise that he has a negative view of the Gospels.

Cheers

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 11:40PM #17
Roodog

Dec 4, 2009 -- 8:12PM, kurnell wrote:

Dear Bart no longer considers himself a Christian, so it is no surprise that he has a negative view of the Gospels.

Cheers

Good point, Jeffrey.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2009 - 6:26AM #18
BBarton

Dec 4, 2009 -- 8:12PM, kurnell wrote:

Cheers

It's a good book.  Interesting that he doesn't want to be labeled Christian. 

Is he no longer a believer or follower of Christ?  Not wanting to be called a "Christian" could be a reflection on religion rather than Jesus or faith. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook