Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2009 - 1:59PM #1
Pensive

So, I have been reading a few books about home shrines and altars: Altars and Shrines by Jean McMann and Bringing Sacred Shrines into your Everyday Life by Denise Linn.  Neither is a Catholic book, but the ideas of building small shrines in the home has appealed to me.  I actually have a small shrine on my nightstand with different objects which evoke the spiritual when I look upon them.  I thought I would share them with you.

Here is a picture of the shrine next to my bed.  its the last thing I see before I turn off the light at night.  Each item has its own symbolism.

This Mary and Infant Jesus is made of painted tin I bought in a yard sale for next to nothing. it is and old and worn.  Yet it reminds me that I am not the only person who cherished it.  Others before me found comfort in it as I do now.

This icon of the Holy family makes me reflect on my own little family.  We only have one child as well, but we are still a family united together, just as the Holy Family was.

These coins are ancient coins from the Byzantine Empire.  they are probably about 1600 years old.  One even has the ancient Christian symbol of the "P" with the cross on it.  They remind me how long the faith has endured.

And here I juxtapose the old and the new.  This is an ancient oil lamp which predates Christianity.  It came from the holy land.  On it I placed a Corpus Cristi that I bought from some Catholic missionaries from Africa who receives these as a gift from a convert  on their mission.  It is very simple, yet most symbolic.  It was made only last year.  Both are primitive objects, despite the 3000 years separating them.   I placed the cross where the flame of the oil lamp would be, thus reigniting the flame of the lamp with a much brighter flame than it ever held.

When I look at and contemplate my little shrine, it takes me away from this world and unites me with both the spiritual and with the past.  It reminds me that my faith has a long, rich history, let is relevant to this very second.  Does anyone else have any type of shrine or altar in their home?  Please share your own experiences so that we can all be enriched by them.  Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2009 - 2:27PM #2
Shaner

Very, very nice pensive.......I really enjoyed viewing the picture's of each and reading the special symbolism each has for you, beautiful!  

They're all spiritual tools that I know must be uplifting for you in your own daily faith and spiritual walk...........the very last thing's of your day before you turn your light out, I think that's wonderful!

The Oil Lamp and the old coins, very historical antiques.......they would also remind me of how our faith has endured over the years.......you're very blessed to have them!  Did you purchase them, or are they family heirlooms that have been handed down?  

I can't post pic's of mine, but yes, I also have a small Shrine on my Computer Desk.......there's a statue of St. Joseph that was given to me :-) it also remind's me of the Holy Family.......one of Our Blessed Mother, I have a special devotion to her, a small Icon plaque of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, which is also the name of the Grade School and Church I attended and my well worn Bible.

We are sensory people and these spiritual tools, all beautiful to look at, are also spiritual reminders to me,

God Bles,

Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2009 - 4:47PM #3
Pensive

Thanks for sharing Shaner.  The lamp I bought at a rummage sale that a Methodist church was having next to where I worked in downtown Chicago.  The couple who sold it to me for a whopping dollar said they bought it in Israel back in the 60s.  In the same building there is a coin and Antique dealer, so I stopped in and asked if they thought it was real.  The gentleman there unofficially confirmed it to be authentic, but had been repaired recently.  Still it was about 3000 years old and the price was right!  The coins I had bought off of e-bay.  There are many people there selling coins that have been dug up in places like Turkey and Albania that were originally buried by soldiers who never came back for them.  They are uncleaned, and can be bought cheap (like maybe a dollar each).  I had bought some for a nephew, but kept a few for myself to try my hand at cleaning them.  It all just came together one day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2009 - 4:59PM #4
Prajna

That is just awesome Pensive!  I have a little shrine in my living room.  It is just a few Icons but no statues.  I've been thinking about getting one.  I always keep a bottle of Holy Water on it to bless my house.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2009 - 1:30PM #5
steve123

Awesome!  Any more pictures anyone?  I am fairly new to Catholicism, don't have a home shrine, but would love this.  Just like the gardens that one person posted a while ago....

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:54AM #6
Shaner

Aug 4, 2009 -- 1:30PM, steve123 wrote:

Awesome!  Any more pictures anyone?  I am fairly new to Catholicism, don't have a home shrine, but would love this.  Just like the gardens that one person posted a while ago....

Hello Steve,

I don't think there'll be any more pics posted........welcome to Catholicism btw!  Why not start one of your own, it doesn't have to be elaborate, pick some thing's that are personal to you, :-). 

You can get good deal's at second-hand shops, yard/garage sales, etc.

God bless, Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 11:24AM #7
Pensive

Aug 4, 2009 -- 1:30PM, steve123 wrote:

I was "that person" you referred to. :0)

Just use what you have, as long as it holds some meaning to you.  I have seen some very elaborate shirines, and others as simple as a bible with a rosary sitting on it.  The important thing is how the shrines effects you.

Here is some help:

www.ehow.com/how_2062808_create-personal...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YniM_OjM2Dw&feat...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 2:22PM #8
steve123

Shaner,

Great ideas.

Pensive,

SORRY!  I didn't mean to refer to you as 'that person'.  Thank you very much for the websites.

God Bless,

Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 4:12PM #9
gilg

Steve,

Ref: your avatar, where was the photo taken?

thx, gil

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 8:04AM #10
steve123
Not sure.  I got it off the internet.  I think, if I remember correctly, it is Mt. Fuji.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook