Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2009 - 9:25PM #1
newway87

Awfully quiet in here, so I thought I'd throw out a question.  I would like to know what others see as the role of women in the CoC.  Is it variable depending on each individual congregation, region, average age of church family, etc?  I had been told recently by a CoC minister that the church is much more accepting of women in ministerial roles than ever before.  I would never say that he's not being truthful, but I would really be surprised to find out this is the case.

Are women being allowed more leadership roles and opportunities to serve, or are we still relegated to playing piano, running the nursery, cooking for fellowship dinners, and teaching childrens' Sunday school classes?

Not that I think these roles are unimportant, by the way.  They are all worthy services to God.  The reason I ask is that from my late teens, I have felt the call to ministry and yet was told by my home congregation that women can't be called ministers or pastors.  I left that congregation specifically to find a place where I felt like I could see where my calling took me, with far fewer restrictions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2009 - 7:22PM #2
Clydson

If you can pastor a church without violating scripture, then it doesn't matter what any human thinks.  So, what are the scriptural qualifications one must meet for the purpose of being a qualified pastor?

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 7:32PM #3
Campbellite

Jul 24, 2009 -- 9:25PM, newway87 wrote:

playing piano

Surprised

Is that permitted? Y'all sound like a pretty librul bunch. :wink:

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2009 - 12:24PM #4
newway87

Okay, that made me laugh out loud for real.  Very funny!  I think you have what's missing in a lot of our churches (of every denomination) today--a healthy sense of humor.  My daughter told me last year after doing a report on the duck-billed platypus that God has to have a good sense of humor to create such an animal.  I think she's right.  ("A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...")

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2010 - 5:51PM #5
Sisterintruth

All the CoC's I attended had woman in roles you talked about. If she taught a class it was a womens bible study, or childrens ministry.It is so sad to see people put down women when GOd is the one deciding what she does for HIS kingdom.He had women that helped in the OT & NT& some men listened. I think ONLY if God calls you to a specific duty then you should obey him & not worry what people say.  Obeying God will get you further then listening to a church putting women down. One of the reasons why we left the Church of Christ was because the limit on what the women could do. We are now with another CoC, that give women more opportuinities (not leading in church service though) w/o the putting down. Of course our church sings with a piano out of the hymn book & we like it that way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 3:36PM #6
Campbellite

Apr 12, 2010 -- 5:51PM, Sisterintruth wrote:

Of course our church sings with a piano out of the hymn book & we like it that way.

OK, try as I might, I cannot figure out how y'all get a piano out of a hymn book. Origami perhaps?

You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 8:02PM #7
Sisterintruth

Apr 13, 2010 -- 3:36PM, Campbellite wrote:

Apr 12, 2010 -- 5:51PM, Sisterintruth wrote:

Of course our church sings with a piano out of the hymn book & we like it that way.

OK, try as I might, I cannot figure out how y'all get a piano out of a hymn book. Origami perhaps?

LOL, ok I meant to say, we sing out of the hymn book using the piano instead of accapella.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 9:59PM #8
newway87

Campbellite, of all the people I've never met I think you might be my favorite.  Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2010 - 6:09PM #9
Campbellite

Aw shucks. Are you trying to make me blush? Embarassed

You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2010 - 9:48PM #10
TENAC

All things may be premissible, but all things are not beneficial. 

I hate the discussions of roles within the Lord's church.  Each are to serve, whatever their capacity.

To indicate that God did not from the beginning put the Spiritual leadership of the family and His church upon men in this life is to deny God's Word.

If men were doing their roles in God's family, women could more aptly do theirs.  When men fail to perform their roles, women will most naturally step into the void.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook