Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
8 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2010 - 12:38PM #11
Campbellite

TENAC, In an ideal world, that might be so. But look around. This is not an ideal world. Ever since Eden when we messed things up, this has been a broken and imperfect world.

I don't know you or where you live, or what church you attend. But it would not surprise me (or anyone else) if there were far more grey heads than not. And far more women attending than men. If it is otherwise, you are the definite exception to the rule.

There are quite a few women who are far more competent and gifted than many men. Does God expect us to hide their lamps under bushels simply because they are women?

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 7:10PM #12
piecesofthewhole

So, the church of christ I stumbled upon, because it is steps away from my house and I recently felt a pull towards Jesus and wanted, for the first time, to go to church has a woman minister.  She's awesome.  I was told later that this church was unusual.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2010 - 11:28PM #13
newway87

Ironically, I've found a CoC minister who has been mentoring me in study and preparation for ministry.  I never thought that would happen, but apparently there are more differences between congregations than I thought.  I am more than thrilled to find a door that's at least ajar, where I thought it was shut firmly and dead-bolted.  He's even been working with me to think of avenues wherein I might become a licensed minister--albeit probably not within the CoC.  That day is a bit further down the road, I'm afraid.

But I'm glad you found a church family, and I pray only the best for you--whatever the label on the sign outside, and whoever was called to minister there.  God bless!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2010 - 11:47AM #14
Clydson

As far as "leadership roles" is concerned, there is just one thing a woman must have knowledge about; exactly what is usurping authority over a man?

1 Tim 2:12, But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

I realize there are gobs of different issues in this context, but I'm picking on just one, because Paul positions men and women on different plateaus with this one point. 

Following are a few different translations;

1 Tim 2:12
12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
NASU

12 and a woman I do not suffer to teach, nor to rule a husband, but to be in quietness,
YLT

In my opinion it is right for a woman not to be a teacher, or to have rule over a man, but to be quiet.
BBE

12 They should study to be quiet and obedient along with everyone else.
(from THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)

Clear as mud, huh?

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 7:04PM #15
Eagle-1

First I want to thank Campbellite for his humor,  and  then  to  comment,  Paul  also  wrote, Gal. 3 I think,  there's  "no male or female in  Christ".  

He'd been a persecutor of Christians, but changed.   Was he still changing? 

Eagle
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook