Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Psychology in the Church??
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 12:34AM #1
Roodog

Psychology  has made it's way into the Whole Church, while it has proved to be helpful, there are some concerns that need to be brought to the table.

My contact with Psychology has a lot to do with Dr. James Dobson and Focus on the Family which libs love to hate. This is because Evangelical orthodoxy influences his practice and he takes stands which are unpopular in some circles.

Today, Psychology has been used as a means of legal and social defense for what what was once culpable behavior before the State and the Church.

On the other hand some Psychologists say that religious faith is a form of mental illness. I cannot accept such a diagnosis.

Feel free to share your thoughts with me.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 9:40AM #2
slu_magoo

In one of his books, Mr. Dobson wrote that fathers should regularly shower with and expose themselves to their young sons. 

He's a lunatic.  And he needs a psychiatrist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 11:31AM #3
Roodog

Hey Slu:

Chapter and verse please?

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 2:11PM #4
SeraphimR

Jul 16, 2009 -- 9:40AM, slu_magoo wrote:

In one of his books, Mr. Dobson wrote that fathers should regularly shower with and expose themselves to their young sons. 

He's a lunatic.  And he needs a psychiatrist.

I'll do you one better.  There are some lunatic fathers in my town who take their young sons to the local health club to swim and allow them to see dozens of naked and showering men in the locker room.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 5:00PM #5
Roodog

Seraphim,

Are you being sarcastic or are you saying  dads are teaching their sons to deal with the locker room nudity that the boys will encounter in PE and Sports and maybe the military?

I do know   that dads often teach their sons to "unhydrate" by example.

Slu, I'd like to know in which book Dr Dobson made this recommendation.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 11:02PM #6
SeraphimR

Jul 16, 2009 -- 5:00PM, Roodog wrote:

Seraphim,

Are you being sarcastic or are you saying  dads are teaching their sons to deal with the locker room nudity that the boys will encounter in PE and Sports and maybe the military?

I do know   that dads often teach their sons to "unhydrate" by example.

Slu, I'd like to know in which book Dr Dobson made this recommendation.

Both.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 11:17PM #7
Roodog

Okay,

Lets get back to the issue of Psychology; to what extent is this discipline influencing the way the Church does things?

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 11:26PM #8
Patricklongworth

I can only speak for my church.  As far as I know psychology is not introduced into church practices or teachings; as much as the Bible may be maligned, it has proven a perfectly good source of wisdom in my experience (especially when one applies wisdom and discernment when reading it).

Peace to you all.

Jul 16, 2009 -- 11:17PM, Roodog wrote:

Okay,

Lets get back to the issue of Psychology; to what extent is this discipline influencing the way the Church does things?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 12:50PM #9
slu_magoo

Roo --

The book is called 'Bringing Up Boys'.  It's available at your local nutjob bookstore.  Mr. Dobson says that fathers can prevent their sons from becoming homosexuals by engaging them in rough-and-tumble activities and by taking his son with him into the shower, where the boy cannot help but notice that Dad has a penis, just like his, only bigger.

And no, Seraphim, despite your immature defense of Mr. Dobson, there's a world of difference between 1) deliberately exposing oneself to a child to prevent the child from being a homosexual and 2) taking your child to a swim club for the purpose of swimming.  Hopefully one day you'll know the difference, will mature, and will be able to carry on a conversation without your typical uninformed sarcasm.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 4:14PM #10
Roodog

A respectful question on this matter:

If the dads is not supposed to teach their sons to deal with the nudity that they would encounter in the locker room and the military, then who is?

Is there a more appropriate way to handle this situation?

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook