Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View A lighter Topic? :-)
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 11:18AM #1
Shaner

It's summer, time to lay back, have some fun! 

We see them everywhere on this site and on other site's we belong to, some are funny, some are serious, some are long, some are short, some are self-explanatory, while other's leave us guessing......but they're all personal and mean something to everyone!

Your Username......what made you pick your's and does it have a special meaning to you?

Don't be shy Smile,

Peace,

Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 1:11PM #2
cove52

I am a "Cove girl" at heart (the term people use to refer to the girls who live in the Cove).  I grew up in a harbor community on the picturesque New England shoreline.  Plus, the house # of my childhood home.  I notice many posters here use a spiritual username.  The cove I grew up on helped to shape my spiritualness.  Growing up with beautiful ocean views all around me only enhanced my reflections on the "Great Creator".  Wink Innocent

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 1:51PM #3
Shaner

Jul 15, 2009 -- 1:11PM, cove52 wrote:

I am a "Cove girl" at heart (the term people use to refer to the girls who live in the Cove).  I grew up in a harbor community on the picturesque New England shoreline.  Plus, the house # of my childhood home.  I notice many posters here use a spiritual username.  The cove I grew up on helped to shape my spiritualness.  Growing up with beautiful ocean views all around me only enhanced my reflections on the "Great Creator".   

A beautiful reason to pick it, Leonora, I learned something new about you, :-)

Yes, there are many here who use Religious or Spiritual Usernames.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 1:54PM #4
Shaner

Come on, good people, share with us!

Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 7:14PM #5
Thomas A Quinas

I honestly don't know.  Thomas is my first name and no, I've never read Summa Theologica from start to finish (not even sure that I read either the start or the finish).  I read some excerpts but the whole thing seems exsasperatingly long (not unlike Pope Benedict's latest encyclical which I did read over the course of a few days).  I understand the concept of natural law.  I picked the name when I wanted to make a comment in regards to inspirational movies and this is what popped into my head.  Didn't explore the beliefnet community til a couple months later.

I commend you, Shaner, for trying to lighten the mood here at Ave Maria Cafe (good luck??Undecided)

Over and out.

Holiness consists simply in doing God's will, and being just what God wants us to be.. -- St. Therese of Lisieux. For applicable reads: Uniformity with God’s Will by Saint Alphonsus Liguori ... or ... Story of a Soul
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 7:56PM #6
Shaner

Jul 15, 2009 -- 7:14PM, Thomas A Quinas wrote:

I honestly don't know.  Thomas is my first name and no, I've never read Summa Theologica from start to finish (not even sure that I read either the start or the finish).  I read some excerpts but the whole thing seems exsasperatingly long (not unlike Pope Benedict's latest encyclical which I did read over the course of a few days).  I understand the concept of natural law.  I picked the name when I wanted to make a comment in regards to inspirational movies and this is what popped into my head.  Didn't explore the beliefnet community til a couple months later.

I commend you, Shaner, for trying to lighten the mood here at Ave Maria Cafe (good luck??)

Over and out.

Thanks Thomas for sharing with us how you arrived at your Username.....a fine one it is!

Thanks for your comment, it does a soul good (and a Forum) to lighten up every now and then, :-)

Come on people, don't lurk, post! lol

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 8:57PM #7
jane2

Not all of us have chosen clever usernames. I use my given name plus a #.

Occasionally I change avatars, usually a photo I have taken.*

In Catholic college the works of Aquinas based on Faith and Reason comprised a minor for us in philosophy and theology. We also studied DesCartes, Kant, etc. How to reason was part of this program.

The name Jane, John in all its dervatives means "gift of God". Actually I was named for my Father's mother: Mary Jane. I have a formal--the original-- photo portrait of her in her wedding dress, c. 1906.

* My family have been amateur photographers for generations. And they had photo portraits done. I have family photos of my Dad's family in multiples from the early 1900's. I treasure them.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 9:33PM #8
Shaner

Jul 15, 2009 -- 8:57PM, jane2 wrote:

Not all of us have chosen clever usernames. I use my given name plus a #.

Occasionally I change avatars, usually a photo I have taken.*

In Catholic college the works of Aquinas based on Faith and Reason comprised a minor for us in philosophy and theology. We also studied DesCartes, Kant, etc. How to reason was part of this program.

The name Jane, John in all its dervatives means "gift of God". Actually I was named for my Father's mother: Mary Jane. I have a formal--the original-- photo portrait of her in her wedding dress, c. 1906.

* My family have been amateur photographers for generations. And they had photo portraits done. I have family photos of my Dad's family in multiples from the early 1900's. I treasure them.

Simple and direct is good too Jane!  Being named after your Grandmother make's it all the more special to you, :-)   Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 9:39PM #9
Thomas A Quinas

Oh, and I'm quite sure when it's all said and done we're going to hear an explanation for Shaner (goes under the leave'em guessing column for me).  Love interest named Shane perhaps (or a cult classic movie)?Smile

Holiness consists simply in doing God's will, and being just what God wants us to be.. -- St. Therese of Lisieux. For applicable reads: Uniformity with God’s Will by Saint Alphonsus Liguori ... or ... Story of a Soul
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 9:49PM #10
jane2

Jul 15, 2009 -- 9:39PM, Thomas A Quinas wrote:

Oh, and I'm quite sure when it's all said and done we're going to hear an explanation for Shaner (goes under the leave'em guessing column for me).  Love interest named Shane perhaps (or a cult classic movie)?Smile

Many of us have long guessed the why of Sandy's username. It is her story to tell not mine and I would not pry.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook