Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Breaking of the Bread
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 3:06PM #1
Bevo

I've borrowed the term, "The Breaking of the Bread" from N. T. Wrights brilliant book, "Simply Christian."  I use that term because words such as "Communion," "Eucharist," or the "Lord's Supper" all carry with them certain theological understandings. 

I am aware of only one non-denominational church that holds to a sacramental view of the Breaking of the Bread.  For those that worship at non-denominational churches, are there any others out there?  If so, where and what's their name?

Essentially, a sacramental view of the Breaking of the Bread means that Christ meets us at the Table and imparts grace unto those receiving the elements of the Supper in faith.  "Symbolism" is the dominant view of most non-denominational churches, meaning the meal is a symbol only of remembrance of Christ's death on the cross.

Just curious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 1:38AM #2
Roodog

Evangelical Christians hold to a commemorative view of the Lord's Table. We remember Christ's death and resurrection. The ordinance itself carries no saving grace but commemorates the grace of God in the death of Jesus.  I hope to  have explained the different view adequately.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 10:42AM #3
Bevo

Not all evangelicals share this view.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 7:36PM #4
Roodog

Not all do, but the majority of Evangelicals who have Reformed roots do as does many Charismatic and Pentecostal Christians.  The High Church of Holy Communion  as a means of grace is incompatable with the Gospel of Grace because it sets the ordinance up as a requisite work for salvation.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 10:55AM #5
Bevo

A requisite of salvation?  Where did you get that idea from?  It (a sacarmental view) sets it up as a means of receiving grace.

Read I Corinthians 10: 1-4 and 16&17.  Gordon Fee's Commentary of this Scriptures (and his Commentary on I Corinthians is widely viewed as the most comprehensive and most widely used and accepted Commentary on I Corinthians) argues these passages of Scripture clearly support the sacramental view of the Breaking of the Bread, this despite Fee coming from an Ordinance faith tradition. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2009 - 11:41AM #6
Roodog

"Requisite for salvation" is not only a Catholic teaching but is found in the Campbellite churches and in other Protestant traditions along with baptismal regeneration.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2009 - 2:17PM #7
Bevo

The Campbellite churches are primarily Churches of Christ that take an ordinance position on the Breaking of the Bread.  I am unaware of any Sacramental churches that make the Breaking of the Bread a requisite of salvation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2009 - 6:27PM #8
Roodog

There is a movement in the CoC out of Boston;

They hold to that you must be immersed by one of their churches and recieve communion from their church to be saved. This is sacramentalism pure and simple. It also indicates that they believe that they alone are the True Church. Baptists and Methodists are the synogogue of Satan in their book.

Whether or not this represents the position of the CoC and DoC  as a whole, but they do emphasize the two ordinances more than other Protestants except the Episcopalians and possibly the Lutherans.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2009 - 6:57PM #9
Bevo

You are simply describing some of the very radical positions of a few churches of Christ.  But again, no church of Christ holds to a sacramental understanding of the Breaking of the Bread.  In fact, their understanding is perhaps most identical to your own.

Read I Corinthians 10.1-4 and 16&17.  If reading from the NIV, understand that the word "thanksgiving" in verse 17 is translated "blessing" in ALL other translations.

Jesus is the Bread of Life.  Jesus is the Manna from heaven.  The cup is the cup of blessing, containing all of the blessings of the New Covenant.  When we come to the Lord's Table, we receive, by faith, the very Bread of Life and Manna from heaven.  We receive, again by faith, all the very blessings of the New Covenant.  We not only remember what Christ did, but we remember what Christ is presently doing, and at the same time, we receive a foretaste of the heavenly meal that awaits us in the Age to Come.

N. T. Wright puts it this way.  When we come to the Lord's Table, it is like sitting down to a meal with our great-great grand parents, and our great-great grandchildren.  This is a meal where the past and future come together and meet us in the present.  This is the best way I know of in describing the sacramental view of the Breaking of the Bread.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2009 - 10:07PM #10
Roodog

Let's call Cambellite.

I believe he's a DoC minister and he can help us sort this out.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook