Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Putting the fun into fundamentalism
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 2:33AM #21
Roodog

Okay, I'll try to remember

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2009 - 10:07AM #22
Tombrisson

Aug 5, 2009 -- 1:29AM, jeanette1 wrote:

Tom my daughter is a pagan and proud of it. She practiced Wicca for many years but then grew tired of it because of  women and men who wanted to use it as a way to control people. She is a very well educated young woman who is working on her double major in religious studies and anthropology. I think she once told me about trolls..lol.

Jeanette, I consider myself a pagan-friendly ex-pagan -- I am still in touch with my former coven mates, some of whom were  hurt when I left. (I did a popular podcast on Wicca, wrote our rituals and was  an elder.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2009 - 6:03PM #23
sunflowerchicky

Jeanette,

I think your daughter and I would get along!

I'm an ex-Pagan (but way Pagan-friendly!) double-majoring in religion and anthropology.  I hope she's enjoying her studies!  I know I certainly am. :)

Give her a hug from one double-major to another, please.

- Sunflower

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2009 - 3:16PM #24
withfearandtrembling

Jul 1, 2009 -- 11:32PM, Tombrisson wrote:

Does conservative or traditional mean the same as "fundamentalist"? In your view, what's the difference? Is it possible to be a liberal fundamentalist?

I think being a fundamentalist has a lot to do with attitude -- I'm right, you're wrong, "we" are thinkers, "they" are glassy-eyed followers, irrational and just don't get it. 

Sound familiar?

The meaning of "fundamentalist" depends on who is using it. In common parlance, it has come to mean a religious person who is very morally rigid (generally opposed to drinking, dancing, and the like) and very literalistic when it comes to interpretation of Scriptures.

Conservative or traditional is more often, in my mind, associated with being theologically conservative and honoring the traditional practices and theology of one's denomination rather than changing or adapting with every modern whim. Traditional/conservative Christians do not tend to be as literalistic as fundamentalists in their approach to scripture.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2009 - 6:26PM #25
Brobrooz1

Fundamentalism knows no (denominational) boundries!  A while back, my wife I left our EC, and were with LCMS for a couple of years-in my 20+ years as SoBaptist, I never encountered fundy'ism as I did in that church-they were tight!. BTW I have met Episcopal & Anglican fundies, they are there. There are non-fundie Baptists, although most have probably  been pushed out of the SBC. But, as pointed out-that is for their board!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook