Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Lord's Supper, Open or Closed Communion?
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 10:10PM #1
Roodog

My Baptist Church holds Open Communion admitting anyone who has trusted Christ as Savior to the Ordinance. I know of other, more strict, Baptist Churhes which holds a Closed Communion, admitting only full members of said Church to the Ordinance.

Let's discuss the cases for and the merits of Open or Closed Communion.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2009 - 9:03PM #2
klm

I don't see why someone who hasn't accepted Christ as their savior would  want to take communion in a Baptist church.   Therefore why not offer it to anyone who claims to be a Christian.   So what if one or two aren't really safed.   God know which ones are sincere.   Besides you might be visiting from out of state and feel you really want communion.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2009 - 9:04PM #3
klm

thats saved not safed.  I type to fast

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2009 - 9:59PM #4
Roodog

You'd be surprised on who would want to take Communion, whether they understood it or not. Not in just the Baptist Church but in almost any church.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 12:54PM #5
klm

what if they do want to and do.    How does that affect anyone else.   I say open it up.  I see know reason why not.  Unless there is something I don;t know.    Jesus said do this in remembrance of me.   I don't think he put any conditions on it 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 7:18PM #6
spudette

I don't know why some churches don't practice open communion. I am glad that mine does. I do think that people should know what they are doing when they participate,  they should know that is is a sacred act, that they need to prepare themselves for it by making sure they have confessed their sins to God and that they are in a good relationship with their fellow men, that they haven't hurt anyone and not made reparations. I also think that people who don't believe that Jesus is their personal Savior do not have any reason to want to participate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 7:52PM #7
Roodog

Jul 9, 2009 -- 7:18PM, spudette wrote:

I don't know why some churches don't practice open communion. I am glad that mine does. I do think that people should know what they are doing when they participate,  they should know that is is a sacred act, that they need to prepare themselves for it by making sure they have confessed their sins to God and that they are in a good relationship with their fellow men, that they haven't hurt anyone and not made reparations. I also think that people who don't believe that Jesus is their personal Savior do not have any reason to want to participate.

Jul 9, 2009 -- 12:54PM, klm wrote:

what if they do want to and do.    How does that affect anyone else.   I say open it up.  I see know reason why not.  Unless there is something I don;t know.    Jesus said do this in remembrance of me.   I don't think he put any conditions on it 

In First Corinthians Chapter Eleven, the Apostle gives a stern warning to the Church there about not takig the Lord's Supper in an unworthy manner. If not taken worthily, the participant is guilty of the Body and Blood of Christ and drinks to themselves judgement. With such a dire warning given in Scripture, it behooves the participant to examine his conscience and be sure he or she acts in faith and a clear conscience.

While this not our tradition in the Baptist Church, other churches do teach the neccesity of recieving communion in order to be saved, so persons who do not know Christ as the Baptist Church requires do take communion in these churches. This is not our teaching or custom and the Baptist Church deems this to be wrong.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 8:46PM #8
spudette

I agree with you, Roodog. We need to prepare ourselves before participating in communion. In fact, in my church, we participate in the ordinance of foot washing, just as Jesus washed His disciples' feet and told them that they should do this for one another.

I didn't know that some churches taught that a person needs to participate in communion in order to be saved. That's not what the Bible says. However, we need to participate because Jesus said to do it in remembrance of Him. But then, I did know that some churches teach that we need to do certain things (good works) in order to be saved, like God's grace isn't enough.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2010 - 9:49AM #9
Margaret

#1.   Jesus did not partake of open communion.  He went into an upper room with His OWN.

#2.  Most people believe that the act of taking the Lord's Supper (Communion) is an act of

salvation.  This comes from the Catholic religion.  Most people depend on RELIGIOUS

WORKS and FEELINGS concerning salvation.  They BELIEVE IN  God, but have never

admitted that they are hopeless.  They haven't put TRUST IN THE BLOOD.

#3.  If they are saved, why are they wondering into churches to find a place to take

the Lord's supper?  Why aren't they SERVING MEMBERS of a church they call their

own?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 12:57PM #10
mom-6

The Lord's Supper/Communion is a remembrance, a ritual if you will, that has special significance to each believer.  At any given time that significance may be more or less vivid, more or less personal, more or less just a thing of habit than at other times. 

I've never understood why some congregations put artificial limits on who is "allowed" to participate.  One we went to in Oklahoma years ago had the rule that only members of that particular congregation were welcome to participate and would not allow a former member who was attending seminary in another state (and of course had found a church home near the seminary) to participate when he was home for Christmas.  I can perhaps see a logic in not allowing casual visitors who are there for the first time, but a former member???  It begins to look like a control issue in those circumstances.

I do think one should only partake if one is a believer, but then I can't really fathom an adult wanting to participate if one is not a believer...kids are a different story...they want to because they can't understand why they shouldn't if the rest of the family does.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook